Serve itunes without a PC?

jeegnesh

A friend of mine wants to serve his itunes library to his airport express but does not want to have his laptop on everytime (where his itunes lives).

From reading it seems you can't get a NAS drive to do this, is there any other way?

formbypc

The iTunes library is on the PC, therefore, on the PC's Hard Drive.

You can't access the PC's Hard Drive without the Drive being powered up, and the only way to power it up, when it's installed in the PC, is to switch the PC on.

Short answer? No.

Alternative - copy the music from the iTunes library to a NAS, but then he'll have to manually update the NAS when he adds more to iTunes......

next010

Distinguished Member
It would be possible but you would need a linux guru on hand to help you set it up, forked-daapd can stream via Airplay but requires a lot of work to setup. You'd also need a server/NAS running linux too.

jeegnesh

The iTunes library is on the PC, therefore, on the PC's Hard Drive.

You can't access the PC's Hard Drive without the Drive being powered up, and the only way to power it up, when it's installed in the PC, is to switch the PC on.

Short answer? No.

Alternative - copy the music from the iTunes library to a NAS, but then he'll have to manually update the NAS when he adds more to iTunes......
But the NAS would would need give out the playlists, artist, albums etc as itunes right, this would just be shared disk not itunes right. Did I mention he uses Remote app to control.

jeegnesh

It would be possible but you would need a linux guru on hand to help you set it up, forked-daapd can stream via Airplay but requires a lot of work to setup. You'd also need a server/NAS running linux too.
Yeah that would be a little too far. Good to know.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
>forked-daapd can stream via Airplay<

Interesting. The information on DAAP servers on Wikipedia is very confusing about what works with current s/w from Apple and how iTunes 10 divides into client and server parts.

I'd assumed that Apple kept adding more and more digital signing, so open source DAAP was becoming impossible.

ro53ben

The Apple kit is very closed and proprietary and Apple keep moving the goalposts to make it harder to get this stuff working on 3rd party kit.

if you want to play your music without running iTunes, you should consider a proper purpose build 3rd party music streamer and abandon the, rather limited, Airport Express.

dapex

maybe I am missing something here, but without itunes running how would you tell the server to stream music to the airport? I thought you had to select that in itunes??

I use a qnap nas that has Itunes streaming built in, so any pc in the house can see and use the same itunes library, but it wouldnt be able to stream to an particular airport

ro53ben

If, for example, you bought Sonos kit; you could point that to your qnap and use them to play different music in each room. Job done.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live NAS (500GB) that has a DLNA and an iTunes server built in. The LSL plugs into the wireless router via an ethernet cable (plus mains power) and just sits there waiting to either be accessed by a PC (to upload or download data) or accessed by a media player (Denon amp, PC or iPod Touch in my case). On the Ipod Touch I use plug player (<£1 app) that can access the library to play or act as a remote to send music from the LSL to the player (amp).

I have the LSL configures so that it has two main shares (logical drives), one for media (shared via the internal media server) and another to back up/sync my PCs on a regular basis using pure sync software (free for home use). Not the quickest server but pushes out 320kbs MP3's seamlessly, not used for video as my amp does not support them.

Hope this helps.

wysinawyg

If he updates to the latest version of iTunes he can now just use Airplay to stream directly from the iPhone to the Airport Express. That gives you whatever bits of the iTunes library are on the iPhone without leaving the laptop on. If its a Macbook it should then also wake on lan if he goes into the Remote app (certainly does if you use a Time Capsule or Extreme as your wireless bridge).

jeegnesh

So he ended buying a cheap secondhand desktop and will just leave that running. Appreciate all the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom