Seriously low budget projector...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by skinhead, Mar 7, 2005.

1. skinhead

skinhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys. Newbie here, so be gentle :)

Basically, i am looking into getting a projector, and am looking at a seriously low budget , ie. at full stretch, £500-ish.

Would this be at all possible?

In terms of picture quality, i'm not too fussed on the quality of picture, trust me, anything is a step up from what i've been using in the past !

So any ideas / tips ?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

To be honest you're struggling with that budget to get something new that's worth spending money on, I know you say PQ isn't really an issue but even so .. :)

The lowest I think I would consider going is an Epson EMP-TW10H but that's over £600, there's precious little on the market for less that's remotely 'home cinema' as opposed to something designed for business presentation use and which really are not good for watching movies.

If you really can't stretch to that I think I'd be inclined to look for a second-hand machine from someone upgrading, look at the Classifieds section on here for instance, there's often a few machines being sold.

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an LCD'er as such so maybe not best placed to give advice, but . . .

. . . . I started a couple year back with a Sony HS10, and it was flippin' fantastic. I mean, as an introductory pj it was awesome. Brilliant bright image and very colourful. I had a lot a film evenings and everyone of my friends was equally wow'd. Since I've upgraded to a mid/high end DLP, some still swear they can't remember much of a difference with this against the HS10 (cheeky beggars :rolleyes: ). Still, what do they know . . . . !!!

Second hand HS10 I reckon could be found at ~£500.

Cheers,
    Steve.

4. skinhead

skinhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the quick replies :)

I guess i should have read a little into this really, but i notice there is another projector forum on here, do the CRT projectors offer any difference than the DLP/LCD ones ? In terms of cost :)

Also what is the "lumens" i keep seeing, is that some kind of guide on picture quality?

What do you guys think of something like this..... Link

Thanks again

5. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SkinHead,

1) CRT devices can be bought with the same budgets, BUT, if this is your first entry into projectors and Home Cinema, then you may want to consider sticking with a 'point and go' digital (LCD/DLP) offering. CRT can produce some wonderful realistic images, better than digital offerings, BUT, there is a certain element of overhead and maintenance involved which is not present in digital. With LCD or DLP, generally plug it in, point at a wall/screen, press go, adjust focus. With CRT, this does not happen. There is a setup invloved which needs time and involvement and often best left to qualified experts. Once this calibration and setup has been performed, the projector cannot be moved from this viewing position without compromising the image. Otherwise, it would need another setup exercise. For this reason and also the size and weight of the machines, often a fixed ceiling mount is required. But if you are still keen. . . . . . .

2) Sorry, I have no experience of this machine.

Steve.

6. skinhead

skinhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That makes sense, I think i'll stick with the plug and play versions :)

Also, do projecters of this sorta price range come up for sale second hand often? Or will i be lucky to find one?

Thanks again

7. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Projector technology is fast moving which is good for the likes of you and me because it means owners keen to replace their models with the newer versions. In the Sony example, HS10 became HS20, which has now evolved to HS50, all in a relatively short space of time.

I would expect to see used examples being available on the Sales forum here.

My example of the Sony was from my own experience, but there are other examples of fantastic machines which have been replaced by later models which give great images. Perhaps some other posters can recommend these but I think panasonic (AE100->AE300->AE500) was a good one, as was Sanyo (Z1->Z2->Z3). Maybe there are better ones, like I say there are better informed LCD'ers lurking around this board !

Steve.

8. skinhead

skinhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent :)

Excuse me if this is obvious, but is there a projector forsale forum on these VBBs?

Thanks

9. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Lumen' is a measure of light intensity, God knows how it's calculated :), basically it's how bright the lamp is, 800-1200 are typical 'spec' values for home cinema usage, though the actual output is a LOT less in practice.

11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    How about Ebay?

For £500 you could get a second hand AE300 fairly easily. I got a AE100 just six months ago and still find it an excellent projector and gets much pleasure from it.

I recently watched Hero on it recently and it looked wonderful.

12. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Be carefull with Ebay, the unwary can pay a lot of money for something that is usefull only as a doorstop.

13. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you can get a TW10H for £550 inc VAT and delivery and a free gift of a head massager from www.premier-presentation.co.uk not sure what their list price was i got them to match somewhere else which i can't remember where, search the net and you will find it for £550inc

14. gnc123

gnc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a new Screenplay 4805 on Ebay from a guy in the US for £ 525 + £ 45 shipping. Arrived in a couple of weeks and is the business for movies and games (check out some other reviews)

At the time it retailed for £ 1300 but I understand can now be bought for £ 1000 in the UK so this might have depressed prices in the US too.

good luck

15. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are some cheap DLP models too (though I would try and demo one first to see if they give you a headache):

Benq Pb2140, £493.50 inc VAT

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=82139

Infocus X1a, £507.60 inc VAT

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=77867

HP VP6111, £549.99 inc VAT

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=63559

Benq PB6100, £562.64 inc VAT

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60582

17. Mr fuse

Mr fuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for this post Ive just done exactly as you suggested I found a price of £557 at www.girotech.com and then called www.premier-presentation.co.uk

They gave me a price of £552.25 with next day delivery!

18. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought an Espon TW10 and am very impressed given how cheap it was.

I would suggest doing a "Wanted Cheap Projector" in the forums classified section. I've just sold an amp there which wasn't really for sale, but as someone prompted me with a wanted I sold it. Maybe put a limit on there and see what you get offered.

There are a lot of guys on this forum upgrading all the time so you should find something well within your 500.

(I would avoid ebay for something like this as you never know how it has been treated , especially on bulb life, given the cost of replacement, you could spend £350 on a projector and then a couple of weeks later have the expense of new bulb. (This could obviously happen on here as well, but I like to think that the guys on here look after things))

19. skinhead

skinhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again for all the posts :)

Looks like i'll be lurking around the classifieds for a while!

20. asgura

asgura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the Epson EMP-TW10H from ebuyer for around the £500 mark. Check out the user reviews at ebuyer.

21. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba ET-1 can currently be had for about 360 (theres a thread on it hanging about). Got mine from www.oyyy.co.uk

Also got a 60" epson screen (from ebay, about 70 quid) and Pio 575 dvd is on the way from Richer Sounds (100 quid).

May not be the highest quality home cinema about, but for 550 quid (including cables) it's not bad value...