• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Serious shortage of Samsung boxes?

Valkirk

Looks like they have put the price for V+ up to £75 and most of the pics are back showing the SA boxes....reckon they had too many people complaining they were supplying boxes different to those shown.

lee667

Distinguished Member
Looks like they have put the price for V+ up to £75 and most of the pics are back showing the SA boxes....reckon they had too many people complaining they were supplying boxes different to those shown.

I wouldn't have thought so, as it doesn't say which box you will get when you order. it's more likely to be a supply issue, possibly out of stock of the Samsungs, or they want to clear the SA ones left.

Matty

Standard Member
it's more likely to be a supply issue, possibly out of stock of the Samsungs, or they want to clear the SA ones left.

given that they have also cut their deals for 2 months free on some of the other services such as XL TV, I suspect it's just that they have been oversubscribed for those offers and don't feel the need to keep them going longer!

fox1977

Standard Member
Just had a samsung one installed yesterday for 29.99. I mentioned that i had bought a new ** from currys and they had offered me a Sky HD box for 29.99. They matched it!

dante01

Distinguished Member
There has been mention that the new boxes are no longer being distributed due to technical issues. There may be a shortage due to Virgin not reordering the units until the technical issues are resolved? Aparently the Samsung V+ boxes have a high hardware failure rate.

u4coffee

My in-laws have had their V+ installed in Sheffield this morning ... it was a SA. :(

Our installation is due in 5 weeks and I'm desperate for the Samsung because I don't think there's quite enough room on our shelves for the SA, but mainly because I need to push the RF picture around other rooms.

To be honest it was only when I read that the V+ box could send the picture out of the VCR scart and HDMI simultaneously that I picked up the phone and ordered this thing. I didn't realise at the time there was two different boxes. Has anyone had any success in "demanding" a particular box?

eldanaldo

Standard Member
My in-laws have had their V+ installed in Sheffield this morning ... it was a SA. :(

Our installation is due in 5 weeks and I'm desperate for the Samsung because I don't think there's quite enough room on our shelves for the SA, but mainly because I need to push the RF picture around other rooms.

To be honest it was only when I read that the V+ box could send the picture out of the VCR scart and HDMI simultaneously that I picked up the phone and ordered this thing. I didn't realise at the time there was two different boxes. Has anyone had any success in "demanding" a particular box?

I don't think the Samsung has an RF out -Just the SA so you may want to double check your shelf space :smashin:

nichorob

Damn, having a V+ box installed on Saturday (for £29 mind), was really hoping for a Samsung box. So you reckon I have no chance?

upallnight

you have to realise it really is pot luck
one day i get some samungs then for the rest of the week it could be SAs and reconditioned ones
same with the standard v box
sometimes we are sent loads of pace boxes and these have to be installed before we can go back to the sammys again(and you havent experienced a slow box untill youve used a pace )
requesting one will get you nowhere even if they promise it on the phone as ive lost a few jobs due to this as we havent had the boxes

upallnight

just to add
theres never going to being just the samsung v+ as you will always get reconditioned SAs
just think we still use pace 4000 stbs and they must be around 7yrs old at a guess:eek:

Subliminal Aura

just to add
theres never going to being just the samsung v+ as you will always get reconditioned SAs
just think we still use pace 4000 stbs and they must be around 7yrs old at a guess:eek:

I have a pace box that predates time itself... Very annoying, wish I could join everyone else in the 21st century.

Any tips and tricks ?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Why this hype around the Samsung box? It has its failings and from what I've read so far I will stick with the SA - it is after all the worlds most popular Cable PVR HD box as it is widely used for HD by the US cable networks. It would IMHO be the ultimate if VM could overcome their paranoia and permit non copyright HDD cloning or off loading via the ethernet port.

janz70

I have a pace box that predates time itself... Very annoying, wish I could join everyone else in the 21st century.

Any tips and tricks ?

Its been said these things fail if they overheat due to poor air circulation but you wouldnt want to break it would you :nono:

browney

Just to add. Had VM out a month ago and they changed my v+ box. I did ask about the new samsung ones and he said "There like hens teeth" he had only been giving one in three months.

u4coffee

I don't think the Samsung has an RF out -Just the SA so you may want to double check your shelf space :smashin:

I think the RF output on the SA is disabled when the HDMI is in use. If this is not the case then I might change my mind.

I would be using an RF modulator anyway, and whist the SA will send a picture out of the VCR Scart it doesn't send the menus, whilst the Samsung will. Imagine how annoying this will be? Changing channels or searching for recorded programmes with no menu?

We watch cable more often in the kitchen/bedroom than in the room where the box is, and the idea of having to keep switching the box between SD and HD is so annoying that it's just not going to happen. I suspect that if the SA box is installed we will never take advantage of HD and the V+ box will just become a time shifter. :(

muttley1969

Standard Member
When my faulty SA box was replaced with a Samsung unit some weeks ago the VM service guy who came out told me that if they have any Samsungs on their vans they will always install them first as they are a lot quicker to install and load up which gives them a head start on their days work load.
So I would guess from that, to increase your changes of a samsung unit book a morning visit (my call was the guys second of the day).

DavisDad

Standard Member
Is it Virgins intention to eventually phase out the SA stb's and replace them with Samsungs?Are the SA boxes still being manufactured?
Personaly I'm having to wait until February 2010 when my 1yrs Sky HD contract expires before I can jump ship.Hopefuly there'll be more Samsung boxes in circulation by then.

u4coffee

So you want to know Frank_Butcher's shoe size?

The Samsung V+ is 8 x 40 x 28 cm (H,W,D)

He's a size 10. :)

The dimensions you have given me agree with those given by What Hi-Fi.

But they are almost identical to the 83 x 400 x 285 mm in the Scientific-Atlanta specifications.

And yet page 10 of this comparison between the two models shows a photo of the two boxes together and the Samsung is clearly quite a bit smaller.

:confused:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Opps, sorry, it was Frank's big feet that caused me to get distracted :oops:

It is smaller, but not that much smaller:

safarisnapz001.jpg

u4coffee

It is smaller, but not that much smaller:

I'm due to have V+ installed next month. The Indian lady told me I would get a Samsung box, but I now realise this was probably an empty promise.

The Samsung might not be that much smaller, but it could be the difference between fitting on my shelf or not. So I would be grateful if somebody with a Samsung could actually measure it.

TIA

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom