Serious problems with my Humax PVR9200T

T-Rex

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi.

We have 2 Humax PVR 9200T's and both (over the last month or two) are experiencing the same problems as follows:

-Response to remote very slow when pressing the Menu button, Play, Stop, FF/RW etc. Also when pressing the 'guide' button, there is a delay, then the picture appears in the top right of the screen as normal, but the rest of the screen reamins black for a good 30 secs until the guide loads.

-Box 'freezing up' (have to turn off and on at the back to sort this out).

-Programs not recording even though in the Schedule Menu.

-Some programs recording without sound.

-Recordings lasting hours longer than scheduled - eg one programme was sheduled to record for 1hr, but recorded for 2 1/2 hous.

I have contacted Humax and they suggested disconneting the aerial, doing an installation and then reconnecting the aerial. Also, they advised to check the remotes by viewing the end through a digital camera screen to see if there is a 'beam' when pressing a button - and there is. They have since suggested sending out an engineer - at what cost?!

I have also run a scan for latest updates, but none are available.

The only thing I can think of is that our transmitter has begun the switchover to digital, and the majority of channels have moved to the 800 range, and some seem to have two channel numbers by them.

Would this be a likely cause? Can anyone suggest trying something else to sort these problems as it's becoming increasingly frustrating.

Many thanks.

Hi.

We have 2 Humax PVR 9200T's and both (over the last month or two) are experiencing the same problems as follows:

-Response to remote very slow when pressing the Menu button, Play, Stop, FF/RW etc. Also when pressing the 'guide' button, there is a delay, then the picture appears in the top right of the screen as normal, but the rest of the screen reamins black for a good 30 secs until the guide loads.

-Box 'freezing up' (have to turn off and on at the back to sort this out).

-Programs not recording even though in the Schedule Menu.

-Some programs recording without sound.

-Recordings lasting hours longer than scheduled - eg one programme was sheduled to record for 1hr, but recorded for 2 1/2 hous.

I have contacted Humax and they suggested disconneting the aerial, doing an installation and then reconnecting the aerial. Also, they advised to check the remotes by viewing the end through a digital camera screen to see if there is a 'beam' when pressing a button - and there is. They have since suggested sending out an engineer - at what cost?!

I have also run a scan for latest updates, but none are available.

The only thing I can think of is that our transmitter has begun the switchover to digital, and the majority of channels have moved to the 800 range, and some seem to have two channel numbers by them.

Would this be a likely cause? Can anyone suggest trying something else to sort these problems as it's becoming increasingly frustrating.

Many thanks.

You should not have any channels in the 800's, this usually means that you are receiving channels from more than 1 transmitter. You need to find the 6 uhf channels used by your local transmitter. Repeat the aerial out factory reset and then after having replaced the aerial and repeated the reset change scan mode to manual and scan each of the 6 channels manually in turn

Thanks for your reply.

How do I find the 6 UHF channels and then how do I scan manually?

Do you think this is causing my problems?

Thanks for your reply.

How do I find the 6 UHF channels and then how do I scan manually?

Do you think this is causing my problems?

Put your postcode in here it will list transmitters in range and their uhf channel numbers (21 to 68). nJust choose the one that you are using (usually the first one listed if there's more than one)

UK digital TV reception predictor

On the second channel scan change the mode to manual and you can then select which channel to scan.

And yes the symptoms you describe are often as a result of this situation

Did it not occur to you that it would be extremely unlikely for two similar machines to exhibit the same faults coincidentally?

Check if your outside aerial has shifted position.

Are your neighbours having similar problems?

I have finally got fed up with the sort of problems you describe and contacted the Humax Support Team. I was told that they know about these problems and are working on an update to solve them but they also said they have no idea when it will be available. Makes you think twice about buying another Humax?

I have finally got fed up with the sort of problems you describe and contacted the Humax Support Team. I was told that they know about these problems and are working on an update to solve them but they also said they have no idea when it will be available. Makes you think twice about buying another Humax?
+1 This last month mine has been very sluggish.

As noted, many people are having problems. But the problem "800" channel numbers is a long standing issue. Graham is right that this needs to be fixed. Though, do check the aerial ...

What has happened in some cases is that as the power of more distant transmitters has been increased, and these have become more widely accessible on retuning. You really do need to eliminate them using the method Graham described.

Following that procedure you may still have some problems. Possibly the long-delayed OTA update from Humax will actually happen. It is being promised for "later this month".

Just wanted to add another to the list with similar problems with the box responding slowly over the last few months, an issue with recorded programs appearing 2 or even 3 times in the list, the EPG not populating fully and most recently many of my recorded programs were mislabelled and took several attempts to delete

I've now deleted all the mislabelled recordings.

Reset the machine to factory settings.

Retuned manually to avoid programs in the 800s (there was only one but there was also a problem with Dave Ja Vu being listed as program 25 but what I actually got was Russia Today).

As a result it seems to work (no problems with recordings or channels, the EPG is complete and it hasn't frozen completely since) but I'm still getting a problem with slow response to the remote... sometimes! Sometimes it behaves normally but frequently it doesn't respond until 30 seconds later. Often get the EPG problem described above where the picture is minimised but the EPG doesn't appear - just a black screen.

I'm running loader version a 0.49 and software 10.00.21

Software doesn't appear to be the latest version (10.00.23 ?) - auto update is switched. I've also purchased a nul modem cable and USB adaptor for my laptop but haven't managed to get it to work.

Any advice gratefully received. Much though I loved my Hummy when it worked properly I'm getting pretty fed up with it.

V23 is supposed to resolve these issues. Not sure when it will be repeated OTA.

More info here

Welcome to HUMAX [UK]

Just wanted to add another to the list with similar problems with the box responding slowly over the last few months, an issue with recorded programs appearing 2 or even 3 times in the list, the EPG not populating fully and most recently many of my recorded programs were mislabelled and took several attempts to delete

I've now deleted all the mislabelled recordings.

Reset the machine to factory settings.

Retuned manually to avoid programs in the 800s (there was only one but there was also a problem with Dave Ja Vu being listed as program 25 but what I actually got was Russia Today).

As a result it seems to work (no problems with recordings or channels, the EPG is complete and it hasn't frozen completely since) but I'm still getting a problem with slow response to the remote... sometimes! Sometimes it behaves normally but frequently it doesn't respond until 30 seconds later. Often get the EPG problem described above where the picture is minimised but the EPG doesn't appear - just a black screen.

I'm running loader version a 0.49 and software 10.00.21

Software doesn't appear to be the latest version (10.00.23 ?) - auto update is switched. I've also purchased a nul modem cable and USB adaptor for my laptop but haven't managed to get it to work.

Any advice gratefully received. Much though I loved my Hummy when it worked properly I'm getting pretty fed up with it.

My 9200 just became so unreliable and the navigation of the EPG was so poor that in the end I just slung it in the cupboard and bought a Topfield TF5800 -

and what a difference with a TF5800 loaded with the right TAPS (mystuff) and Patches - works everytime including Series link.... :clap::clap:

Then Humax offered version 23 software so I thought I'd give my 9200 another chance ..... perhaps humax had finally got their software act together....... so upgraded via RS232 link. :smashin:

Set the 9200 to record a series link program on BBC1 and what happened.... 9200 came on late and missed the first part of the program.... :( where as the TOPPY recording the same program just did the business. :thumbsup:

So 9200 dumpted back in the cupboard..... :mad:

Would I recommend a humax to anyone NO, would I buy a Humax product ever again NO..... :thumbsdow

i know that this is an "old " machine . i had no problems at all up to the digital switch over.
then sluggish remote,mad guide and loss of channels and 800 channel.

it is a great machine. the advice here cured mine
factory reset,manual re tune using the transmitter link - all perfect

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom