1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious problem with DLP's?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Pete872, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Pete872

Pete872

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I was just about to invest in a Samsung SP50L7HXX after reading glowing reports and having it recommended by you guys on here.

BUT I have just been informed by an independant retailer that Samsung and Toshiba (he's a Tosh/JVC dealer) are discontinuing DLP tv's as there is a serious problem with the reliability of the bulbs inside them. The guy went on to say other manufacturers may or may not follow suit, but he would'nt recommend them at all. As replacemnet bulbs are £350!

Is this something to worry about or is he just scare mungering in the hope i'll splash mega bucks on a large screen plasma?

Gutted as I really fancied the Sammy but I dont want to spend £1600-£1700 on something with a short life span.

Your thoughts please,

Pete.

2. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, just out of interest, what was he recommending you?

3. FGEvans

FGEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    News to me - seems like a load of bull**** if you ask me.

In any event just take out a warranty with warrantyex - they will cover you for 5 years and they will even cover the bulb. (see earlier posts).

Cost £280 for 5 years.

4. Pete872

Pete872

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah forgot to meantion he deals with Hitachi also. I had told him I wanted something with around a 50" screen for my cinema room. He recommended a 50" Hitachi plasma for 4.5k :eek:

But why would he put me off DLP's when he could have tried to sell me the Tosh that he deals with?

Pete.

5. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    that's interesting news,
    have we all bought the 21st centuary equivalent of betamax I wonder ? :devil:
    most dlp lamps have quotes of thousands of hours usage before they need replacing at £200 to £300 a pop, although they don't actually go pop apparently they just start to fade, and once replaced the set is as good as new, so you should get years of viewing out of a dlp lamp.

6. Strideristhebes

Strideristhebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe because he was trying to make you part with four and a half grand, instead of half the price ;)

7. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ask him to show you the technical bulletin from Samsung or Toshiba where they state the problem and that they are pulling out of the DLP market. If he does then I'll eat my hat, if I had one.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I smell BS.

DLPs are proving to be among the most successful and popular large screen TVs in the world in the short time that rear-pros have been available. Samsung are moving them by the lorryload.

Manufacturers love them because they are cheaper to produce and are more reliable than plasma.

Toshiba announced their withdrawal from plasma a year ago and Sony are following suit.

I suggest you get yourself a new dealer - one that you can trust.

Oh and I wouldn't touch any of the current Toshiba DLPs - read the threads on here for details of their problems.

Stick to Samsung or Sagem.

9. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038

i thinks thats a bit unfair slating toshibas mate there are plenty of people including me that are happy with there dlp's ok some people may not get on with there sets but some can you should leave the descision of people buying there dlp to them selves,just because you have a samsung it dosent make all the other make and models crap :mad:

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Firstly, point out to me where I state or even imply that because I have a Samsung that makes all other makes and models crap.

OK - you can't, because I didn't say that, nor do I believe that, so let's not play silly games, OK?

The Toshibas have well documented problems with horizintal blurring and solarization. There are plenty of threads and professional reviews to be found discussing this.

Nor am I attempting to make people's minds up for them. I merely stated that "...I wouldn't touch any of the current Toshiba DLPs...". - and I wouldn't, after closely auditioning four different Toshiba sets and seeing numerous others display these same picture artefacts on every occasion.

My opinion, and last time I checked we were free to express our opinions in these forums. If you're allowed to come on here and say "I like this telly.", then I'm allowed to come on and say "I don't.". If that's an issue for you then I suggest you take it up with the moderators.

You're happy with your set? Fine. No one is trying to say you musn't be.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,770
    Let's not have this thread degenerate like others have.........please. You've both made your points. Please don't make them (yet) again.

Kourosh - The_Pauley did not, as far as I can see, say what you accuse him of. He clearly has a "down" on Toshibas - perhaps with good reason, I don't know. And he is entitled to that view and to express it here.

So.........moving on......

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Better still enquire directly of Toshiba and Samsung if this is the case. Tell them a dealer told you so and be sure to pass on his name and address to them in order that a fruitful discussion of the topic may ensue between they and he! :devil:

13. Ferry

Ferry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Complete and utter boll***s. It's not just DLP rear projection TV's that these bulbs are used so I suppose they will be pulling out of projectors etc too?

14. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    My thoughts exactly. :smashin:

Pete872 - you'll be doing other potential punters a great service if you can post the name of this dealership so that Forum members can avoid it.

Lack of knowledge in a salesperson is bad enough, without throwing outright porkies into the equation too.

15. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Toshiba pulling out of the dlp market, hmmm someone didnt tell toshiba then as they have not long ago released a whole new range in the usa.