1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious problem please help me.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tony kop77, May 2, 2003.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I was playing championship manager 4 and surfing the championship manager site on the internet when my screen went white I can not remember what it said (I think it said remote access or remote computer) then a guy said to me football games are bad for your health.
    I said who are you he said are you tony i said yeah well done you have hacked into my computer then he laughed said it was not hard and he did it because he was bored.

I have Norton Internet Security 2002 on and everything is updated. I have credit card details on my computer can anyone give me any advice on what i should do? I am not sure if the card details are on my comouter or on the secure sites. I did a search for my credit cards by entering the first four digits then *-* but nothing came up.

Would you recomend i change password and credit card details?
    I did a test and this is what it said

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
    Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
    Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
    One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
    Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
    All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet

2. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Service
    Status Security Implications

FTP
    Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

Telnet
    Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

Finger

HTTP

POP3

IDENT

RPC

Net
    BIOS

IMAP

HTTPS

MSFT
    DS

UPnP
    Stealth! There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address

The UPnP is sometimes open and sometimes shut it detects it as plug and play. Should i disable it or am i panicking for no reason

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I have Norton Internet Security firewal 2002. I did a Symantec security check and it said Browser Privacy at risk. I followed the instructions to make it safe but still says at risk.
    I rung NTL and the ladt said what has happend is the ip address should change every 48 hours but yours has not changed for a month but it is due to change tomorow morning at 8.05am.

She advised me to buy a firewall programme black ice and have it running with Norton which will make it hard for the hacker. She said she would think my credit cards are safe becuase i use secure sites and i did a search by entering first 4 digits of my credit card and it was not found on my hard drive.

I am considering re formating my hard drive and start everything a fresh.
    I had 1000 Recent intrusion attempts in about 2 hours and Receent attempted attackers 2 in that time.

I am a bit worried. I have not heard from the guy since last night when he said he hacked in because he was bored and said it was not hard lol those were his words. He just imd me last night saying managerial games damage your health. I was playing championship manager 4 at the time and surfing their messageboards.

I hope this is anough information for people to help me.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have disabled UPNP, remote registry & remote management (& remote user)

Also Telnet.

Stupid stupid features that are automatic or enabled by default.

If using XP, remove the Microsoft's remote user.

There's a website somewhere with secuity tips. I would format your system. Go onto another PC - say work/mates and change all passwords and remove credit card account from Amazon, Play etc. I would also phone up the CC comapanies and let them know your situ. (probably issue new cards)

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Thank you for your help. My brother said not to worry the worst that can happen is i will need to reformat my hard drive, He added the credit cards will be stored on servers not on your computer and that the guy can see what i am viewing on my browser as the settings have stated but the settings also state he has not got in my computer not yet anyway.

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Can you tell me how i remove the things you suggested plaase.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    A lot of these firewall packages try to paint a blacker picture than is the case. I wouldn't take the 1000 attempts seriously as a lot of these so-called attacks are just normal day to day processes on your computer.
    I'm on ntl cable and have hidden my network behind a router. With this piece of hardware I can dynamically assign my own IP addresses so that anyone on the outside can only "see" the router. This is usually sufficient for home users in my experience...... unless someone else knows different !!

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have been connected 24/7 via NTL for the last 2 years, both at work and at home.
    I have routers on both networks and Norton IS 2003, which is much better than 2002.
    I have never been hacked in all that time, and security alerts are very rare (about once a year)

10. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2