1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious mode. Sound damping a Barco

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I built an open ended casing around my Barco 808, lined with some sound absorbing material, but with both ends open (obviously one end is quite vital). Would this have a detremental effect on the cooling? Would it have a beneficial effect on the noise?

Anyone ever tried something similar?

2. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After my last post I am pleased to be of some use - if you look at my web site you will see I have done something similar to what you suggest . I enclosed the rear half of my 808s in a ply box lined with 1" polystyrene painted the same colour as the ceiling .
    This not only masks the fan noise but also makes the CRT blend slightly with the ceiling reducing the MY GOD HOW DID YOU GET THE WIFE TO LET YOU HAVE THAT factor.
    Mine is closed at the end as this is where the fans are and I think not covering this part would reduce the noise reduction to a waste of time.I do however have a single storey with pitched roof hence I cut 6" holes in the ceiling and cool air pours into my "hush Box" and I have had no overheating probs

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nick
    Wait I'm but days away from a mod to silence these little chaps.

I've been experimenting for a few weeks now and I have to soak test but this look very promising!!!!!

4. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Roland this sounds very interesting- have you any more details?
    Also have you never been up my way again yet?- I remember asking you to give my install the once over when in the area - as long as you promise that if I have made an a-se up you don't tell anyone!

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    TBC;)

but looking and sounding good:)

6. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ~I would definately be interested, for Liz's sake not me. I'm imune to the fan noise now, but Liz is stocking up of quiet Chick films like Chocolat and will need absolute silence.

As soon as you have completed the tests etc I'll probably go for it.

Thanks

Nick

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found a solution to all fan noise problems. Plade cotton wool in ears so that you can't hear the fan noise, then turn uo to above THX reference level sound pressures. Perfect. Just don't doeget to issue your neighbours with similar high Tech cotton wool ear defenders!

Just for anyone considering CRT, and getting put off, the noise isn't that bad at all. My projector is very well used and that is the main problem. It is only on the really quiet scenes that it is noticable, and mainly due to the fact i'm forced to watch at low volumes late at night. Normal sound levels would mean that PJ noise wouln't be a problem.

I definately wouldn't let fan noise get in the way of having a fantastic large picture, no mater what technology you choose, the benefits far outweight the downsides.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.