1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious HELP needed PLEASE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by diesel_uk, May 25, 2003.

1. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello I'm new to the forum and would like some help please. My problem is a fairly big one and needs some serious help I think, anyway not to keep everyone waiting.

I'm a film fan I have over 900 dvd's most are AC-3 sound.

I need to buy a AV amp so I was wondering what you guys think for a AV amp my budget is round the £600 figure for the AV amp.
    Must be in BLACK only as I don't like any other colour and here is the bit I don't understand:

AC-3 decode or encode?

I have a standard sound card in my computer ( 16 bit sound Blaster) As I will buy a amp I need to also change my sound card to improve the sound too. If I get a AC-3 sound card do I need to get a AC-3 amp? and if so does it have to encode or decode?( I understand what encode and decode mean).

Then comes the speakers: I have a pair of KEF Q5 for the front and I will need a pair for the rear I do have a pair of wharfdale Modus 2 will they be good enough and could I use them for the rear channels as at the moment they are used as paper weights.

As for a centre could somebody recommend a front centre speakers bearing in mind I have a budget of £150/200.

As far as sub is concerned I think I need to get the rest sorted out and then deal with the sub side when I come to it.

Also could somebody give me any links to any 5.1 6.1 7.1 9.1 spear set-up sites.

Thank you guys in advance.

*D*

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :rolleyes:

3. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your help.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,607
    diesel_uk - if you read the forum rules you'll see that we don't like piracy so chatting so proudly about your 900 ripped DVDs is likely to give people the impression that you are a bit of a scally. A bit waaay. And who wants to help someone like that?

Re your question there are lots of articles for beginners at www.homecinemachoice.com and www.totaldvd.net.
    Genereally though you should take the digital output of your sound card and feed it into the digital input of a home cinema amp and feed to a good subwoofer and set of 5, 6 or 7 speakers.

Hornydragon - lets be a little more friendly, shall we?
    If people are asking newbie questions, lets point them to the articles at the above sites.