1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

serious hard drive problem been going on for the last 2 years !

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jamieuk23, Jul 10, 2005.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi due to my main hard drive running so slow laterly and having loads of errors reported to me, I have decided I want to replace my main hard drive with a new 1.

I have never done this B4 so I am little usure on what my options are. Would I just have to exchange the new drive witt he old 1 on the IDE cable then just reinstall windows as a fresh ??

or is it possible to transfer all my saved programes and software that I have paid for on my new hard drive ??

as mentioned what are my options ??

thanks !

jay

2. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    As long as your new drive has the same or more space than your existing drive contents then cloning it is quite straight forward. Nortons or Maxtor Maxblast will clone it. If it were me I'd do a fresh install with all the latest drivers, just connect your old drive as a slave and copy over the email directorys and data.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I do a regular Norton Ghost image to my Drive D. When my Drive C went. I replaced the 40GB with a 60GB then just copied the Ghost image over. It only took a few minutes and I was up and running again.

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Install a new disk as a primary and doa clean install - takes longer but will be better. Windows 'degrades' over time. Use old disk as a secondary, copy over what you need (you may have export some smaill and web stuff epeciually of you change clients).
    Then throw away the old disk - and optionally put in a second disk - you can boot linex quite happliy from the scondary disk if you want to - then youhave more backup/recovery options as well as more run time options.
    Do it quickly - the day after the disk finally crashes is too late....

5. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    'smaill' = 'email'
    'linex' = 'linux'
    'especiully'= 'especially'
    'scondary' = 'secondary'

I claim a typo error rate record ! especially that 'smaill'....

6. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks for the advice guys !!! as my old drive was causing loads of problems, so I think its going to be best just to throw my old hard drive in the bin and just start a fresh with my new 250GB hard drive.

does any 1 no of a easy to follow guide about installing windowx xp pro on a brand new hard drive ??

I am a little worried as I have never installed windows XP B4 and I am worried that I might end up formatting the wrong hard drive and deleting all my DVD backups I have backed up over the years (I own the orginals)

how hard is it to install windows XP ?? I take it as soon as windows XP is installed I will be infected with that blaster virus ??

any advice you cna give me ?

thanks jay :thumbsup:

7. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Safest option: disconnect the old drive, connect the new one on the first contoller as master, boot from CD and just follow the instructions. All the partitioning,formatting etc. will happen automagically and you cant destroy disconnected drives!

When its all done shutdown, connect the old drive on the second IDE controller or as a slave, reboot. Windoze will pick up the old drive and you can just copy anything off it. If you have a complex partitioning scheme you may need to pull up Programs/Administative Tools/Computer Management and change drive letters in the storage management panel to simplify things.

Cloning: Don't even think of trying to clone the drive by hand, use something like Acronis TrueImage's disk clone tool or the equivalent in Ghost.

I suggest you don't let WinXP format the entire drive as one partition, create a 10-20gb (small is better) partition to install to and a separate data partition with the rest of the drive. That makes it viable to image Windows onto DVD. Can't remember if XP install lets you do that so you may need to create the partitions before installing, its easy under XP.

8. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    One really important thing: if your new drive is SATA make sure you have the SATA drivers on a floppy for the install. WinXP SP2 may not need this and some mboards don't need the drivers anyway (nForce3 in RAID mode is one), otherwise you can't install. If you don't have an SP2 install CD search for instructions on building a 'slipstreamed' image.

Also remember to set the correct boot drive in the PC BIOS, otherwise if you reconnect an IDE drive it may boot the old drive instead of the new one!

9. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had two data discs reporting errors over a period of weeks, and had decided to replace them, but I wanted to test 1 in a differeent PC first, and I noticed when I unplugged it that the power connector slid off with no force at all, which made me suspicious.

I used a jewellers screwdriver to slightly bend the metal inside all the power connector sleeves so it needed a decent push to get it back on the drive, and presto no more disk failures for the last 8 months.

It may be your discs are really dying, but worth checking this first......

10. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    XP will only install on the primary drive so no worries with that. (assuming you are not doing BIOS tricks or using GRUB to switch the primary driveds in a custom config thingummybob.)