1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

serious confusion as to what mp3 player I should buy

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by carlmalibu, Sep 20, 2005.

1. carlmalibu

carlmalibu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been browsing these forums for a while, and looking around the net and it seems there isnt a "perfect" solution to mp3 players, but essentially I have narrowed it down to a few

I dont want anything fancy. I want good quality sound MP3 playback

my whole music library is mp3 - about 40gb worth
    I don't want to transcode!!

lack of gapless playback probably wont upset me too much.

It seems I can choose between Creative Zen Sleek and Sony H5 for 20gb players,

or on the smaller player thing, iriver h10, ipod mini, or the equivalent zen.
    I'm really not sure whether I need 20gb, or whether it'd be nice just for the convenience, or anything like that.
    so anything in the way of help, opinions, etc. would be well appreciated

2. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If battery life is important to you I would get the HD5. Also the price is dropping on the HD5, Amazon (US) has them for $255 with free shipping.

3. carlmalibu

carlmalibu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was hoping for some fuller answers than that :)

this is a lot of money ill be spending!!

4. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought an iPod and have not regretted it. The only downside is that the bass is a bit light, however I set the equaliser to the Bass Boost setting and it sounds good to me. I love the clickwheel and I like iTunes, I have an NAD amp and a pair of Wharfedale speakers wired up to my PC and I probably play through that setup through iTunes as much as I do through the iPod.
    To me the clickwheel is the big selling point. I also have an MP101 music streamer which sounds good, but I hate menu system.
    I would go for as big a disk as you can, don't make the mistake of going for a small player, they are all small enough. At the end of the day they are all tin boxes with a hard disk and circuit board inside, go for an iPod because the total experience is the best. You won't regret it.

5. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm in a similar position to you. Hard disk size, build and sound quality and ease of file transfer are probably my main criteria. The choices I have come down to are the iAudio X5L, the iRiver H340, the Sony Vaio Pocket and the 30 Gb Sony HD5. None of them are perfect, but I'm leaning towards one of the first two at the moment, partly because I don't want to be tied to Sonic Stage but mainly because so many people seem to be dissatisfied with their HD5s and the Pocket seems to have been discontinued (why did Sony do that?) although it is still available.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the smaller players, I had a duff time with the Zen Micro, so while I can recommend the 20GB Touch, I'd give its little brother a miss ...

7. joora

joora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't have any regrets for buying my HD5 - it is small, it looks more than ok, it has a decent build quality, it has one of the best battery life, and i found the rotating screen/controls thingy more than useful when playing music in my car(the player is placed horizontally), as did the line out function too. And i won't even mention the very good sound quality(bah, who cares about the sound, it's a music player, i want it to look nice :rolleyes: )

HD5 was all that i have expected, and even more. Besides, it is the cheapest 20gig player here(payed for it 240 euro, while the 20gig ipod photo is around 315 and 20gig X5(not L) is 280).

I have even learned to live with sonicstage, and it ain't that bad as expected.

Maybe it seems that there is many problems with hd5, but that's mostly because these forums are virtually the only place where ppl ask about hd5 problems, and some of the 'problems' are all but serious (aka dust behind the screen - i had it with almost any electronic device with a screen, i have even had dust behind camera lenses, and they were supposedly completely dustproof).

Anyway, be sure to investigate what you are buying before you buy, and be sure that you can live with the merits, because atm there isn't a perfect DAP out there :)