• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Serious Canon XL1 Issues - Help

stument

Distinguished Member
Thanks for taking time to read this.

I Have a Canon XL1, its been working fine through out my college period.

Since ive finished college its been put away and not touched. I Finally decide to use my Canon again and something really strange has started to happen.

If i put any tape in it just jolts through the entire tape skipping bits showing lines, streaks, squares, just blue all sorts.

If i record or try to Record it shows lines of the footage just recorded and Lines (More like bars 4 of each) of what ever was recorded or played before.

At first i thought i had dust on the heads, so i bought a Cleaning Cassette. Hasnt changed a thing?

Has anybody got any idea what the problem is?

I Hope its just my tapes, they are very old and have been collecting alot of dust.

Tonight im going to try it with Brand New Tapes

stument

Distinguished Member
Got to test it with Brand NEw Tapes and side by side with another camera and it has to be my camera... noone got any ideas on how to fix this?

alpine101

Established Member
Got to test it with Brand NEw Tapes and side by side with another camera and it has to be my camera... noone got any ideas on how to fix this?
Failed mechanical helican scan tape mechanisms tend, I am afraid, to be throwaway devices. That's why I moved to tapeless formats. But I'm horrified to find that as well as its zoom motor, my HD1 has to have a mechanical cooling fan:eek:

senu

Distinguished Member
If the XL1 has a problem with its tape head ( most likely) fixing or getting it professionally cleaned will cost far less than the cost of a second hand one. I would suggest you get a quote rather than risk damaging precious older recordings

MagicRabbit

Standard Member
I don't mean to sound daft, but presumably you've tried a cleaning tape? My trusty old Mv500 (which has now started showing weird coloured pixels - CCD problem) suffered that a couple of years back - cleaner tape sorted it in just a few seconds!

senu

Distinguished Member
I don't mean to sound daft, but presumably you've tried a cleaning tape?

At first i thought i had dust on the heads, so i bought a Cleaning Cassette. Hasnt changed a thing?
Has anybody got any idea what the problem is?

He did...

There is not much a cleaning tape can do though if the heads need to be professionally cleaned or replaced
Sometimes both the head and whole tape mechanism could use some expert help in cleaning.
At such times it is better not to continue using them and end up damaging previous recordings
Also tapes which have been run through them can subsequently contaminate a new or cleaned head later on

stument

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replys guys :thumbsup:

So i should send it of for repair.

Anyone know any good trusty places i could contact? :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom