serious alternatives to HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Feb 13, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the serious alternatives to HTPC under say £3000, and how do they compare?

I like my HTPC, but if I ever decided to go the more off the shelf route, what would I be looking at? I'm still want 72 and 75 hz refresh rates and 720p.

I know the Rock was supposed to be good!

Nick

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm not sure that you can get a Rock for under £3000, but there is a baby Rock under development. The Vigatec scalers are always worth a look, not sure about 72 & 75 Hz support though. Jenz would be the person to speak to since he has a Rock and a HTPC. You might want to wait for Event 2 and see what comes up.

3. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    If you want the features of a HTPC but the ease of use of a standalone DVD player have a look at PSI's PD-1000.
    There is quite a long thread over at AVS.
    It was getting good reports from those that have seen and used it but unfortunately the review has turned into a slanging match by the HTPC diehards.