Serious Advice and Opinion on best S-video pic needed PLEASE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Raging Discs., Sep 15, 2007.

1. Raging Discs.

Raging Discs.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I recently bought a video projector second hand from ebay !!!!! which is very much more data based so not so hot on dvd pics so I am looking to get a player with spot on sharp, low noise or few artifacts pic through s-video as the only way to get dvd in to the projector( well except composite which is worse).
    So basically I`d like a Sub £100 ( or very sub £100 as a shekel shortage on going).
    Apart from just a spot on pic one thats adjustable for say brightness and contrast etc would be good too, is progresive scan needed etc too.
    I think not all things will go out through s-video like up scaling etc.

Anyway thanks in adance I`m using an old sony picot small roundey slanted dvd player from about 2002/03 which has pretty good sharp s-video out but its geting old and a bit finicky and I`m sure something else will help the pic on the projector some so appreciate any advice on machines with really great s-video out.
    Thanks Mark. .

PS can anyone get along to the dvd player offers, just conks for me???

PPS multi region would be handy but not essential,thanks.

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    As a different way to tackle your problem I would suggest (not from personal experience but what has been recommended to me on numerous occasions)

you getting one of these to solve your problem.

RGB to S-Video Converter High quality input for Projectors and Video Capture.

Currently only £69 on sale.

You can then get a good scart based DVD player (which all, except upscailers, will have).

You can then go to Ritcher sounds to get any decent multiregion player.

With me way back in 2004 we got a high quality Sharp mutiregion player from them for £40 so I would imagine the quality you can get for around £30-40 from Ritcher sounds these days. From reading WhatHifi sound and vision players from Pioneer are very good.

With regards to the progressive scan query only Component and HDMI can do this, not S-Video or Scart. So it is not a problem for you if you Projector is S-Video based as it probably wont even be able to handle Progressive images anyway.

Hope this helps
    Anthony

3. Raging Discs.

Raging Discs.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for the advice, might be worth considering. For now for about £70 I`like a player doing decent adjustable s-video out as is if possible.
    I know you can get a scart to s-video but I doubt that is a good as just the s-video main connectin???
    Thanks Mark.

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Using S-vide, I cannot emphasise too much the importance of a shielded cable. It nedn't be expensive, but if unshielded will almost certainly affect the signal coming through really badly. I find S-Video cables tend to really be sensitive to unshielded interference.

Dan.