Series X Tech Questions

Mattelot

Novice Member
Good day. I tried asking this on reddit but they removed my thread so I thought I'd try here.

I bought myself a Series X yesterday and I noticed some things, was hoping some experienced person(s) could clarify. I have a LG C1 OLED TV, btw.

1) I set my video settings to 120hz. I fired up Diablo 3, which I do not believe supports 120hz, but the TV says it was outputting 120 fps and AMD freesync. Is this right?

2) Are you supposed to go in and toggle the video settings to/from 120-60, etc for whatever the game supports or are you supposed to leave it at whatever the native refresh is of your screen? I don't have to adjust anything on PS5, it just sets the game to whatever graphics mode you choose in the game itself.

3) I'm trying to understand the whole [email protected] with Dolby Vision. From what I read, that needs like 48.11Gbps and my TV only supports 40. LG advertises that they can game using that setting. So is there something I'm missing or does it just lower the color space? Example, I'm excited to finally play Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which supports that setting. Will it look good or would HDR10 look better with that refresh?

4) My TV says it has Dolby Atmos. Would I get benefit from buying the $15 DA from the microsoft store on my console?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

adbailey18

Distinguished Member
Hi, I just set it at 120Hz and forget about it with my CX. The numbers don't concern me really 😅

Most, if not all games, play wonderfully, if it's not the game specifically that's causing any issues (here's looking at you WarZone).

I believe at 40gb then the chroma sampling is lower or something.

Whether games look better in DV or HDR10 will be down to you though?

Personally I have disabled DV for Gaming on my Xbox as to my eyes HDR10 seems a tad brighter.

Last edited:

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I bought myself a Series X yesterday and I noticed some things, was hoping some experienced person(s) could clarify. I have a LG C1 OLED TV, btw.

1) I set my video settings to 120hz. I fired up Diablo 3, which I do not believe supports 120hz, but the TV says it was outputting 120 fps and AMD freesync. Is this right?

2) Are you supposed to go in and toggle the video settings to/from 120-60, etc for whatever the game supports or are you supposed to leave it at whatever the native refresh is of your screen? I don't have to adjust anything on PS5, it just sets the game to whatever graphics mode you choose in the game itself.

If you set your console to 120Hz but the game can't run at the equivalent framerate the game just runs at whatever rate it can. I think with Diablo 3 it will run at 60 frames per second. So setting it to 120 in the console should be OK for most games and you shouldn't need to change anything.

3) I'm trying to understand the whole [email protected] with Dolby Vision. From what I read, that needs like 48.11Gbps and my TV only supports 40. LG advertises that they can game using that setting. So is there something I'm missing or does it just lower the color space? Example, I'm excited to finally play Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which supports that setting. Will it look good or would HDR10 look better with that refresh?

The Xbox Series consoles have a maximum HDMI bandwidth of 40Gbps so your TV should be fine.

Mattelot

Novice Member
I kept the console at 120hz and when I play Fallout 4, it's showing 113-120 fps though the FPS boost is supposed to make it 60. I can't imagine Fallout 4 is running at actual 120fps because the game code glitches beyond 60.

Indiana Jones

I kept the console at 120hz and when I play Fallout 4, it's showing 113-120 fps though the FPS boost is supposed to make it 60. I can't imagine Fallout 4 is running at actual 120fps because the game code glitches beyond 60.
I wouldn't pay much attention to what it is actually reporting as its not always reliable, just set the console to 120fps and that way you know that you will have the highest framerate option unlocked so when a game offers 60+fps you will be able to access it.

shagaboopon

1. When set to 120 it will always output 120 fps albeit for 60fps games it will repeat frames twice and 30 fps 4 times. Its better to run at 120 as you get better low framerate compensation.

2. All games that have a 120hz mode have a option in their settings to pick your preference for framerate or graphics so set at 120 on your Xbox and and forget.

3. 40Gbps is fine for 4k 4:4:4 10 bit colour at 120Hz. 48Gbps would be required for 12 bit 4:4:4 but I'm not sure there is even a commercial TV out that can display 12 bit and no games consoles output it either.

4. Dolby Atmos from TV speakers is probably not worth it but recommended if you have good headphones. Note there are some sync issues with Atmos on soundbars and AVRs if not using earc.

1. When set to 120 it will always output 120 fps albeit for 60fps games it will repeat frames twice and 30 fps 4 times. Its better to run at 120 as you get better low framerate compensation.

2. All games that have a 120hz mode have a option in their settings to pick your preference for framerate or graphics so set at 120 on your Xbox and and forget.

3. 40Gbps is fine for 4k 4:4:4 10 bit colour at 120Hz. 48Gbps would be required for 12 bit 4:4:4 but I'm not sure there is even a commercial TV out that can display 12 bit and no games consoles output it either.

4. Dolby Atmos from TV speakers is probably not worth it but recommended if you have good headphones. Note there are some sync issues with Atmos on soundbars and AVRs if not using earc.
Even with earc there is dolby lag issues

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom