Series x picture problem?

tim68

Hi all

picked up a Series X last week and only now getting it out of the box. I have my console going through a Marantz sr7012 Receiver to a Sony XE9005 4K HDR tv.

tried setting 4K out of the console only to have problems with the picture going on and off, (is this a handshake issue ?) works fine with a 1080p setting using the HDMI cable packed with the console. anything I can do to fix this ?. Not sure if I am missing out on anything if I left it at 1080p.

thanks very much

p.s. I didn’t have this with my old Xbox 1 X

tim68

just tried connecting directly to the tv and seems to work fine. also have a Nvidia Shield and a Apple 4k going through the amp with no problems and the old Xbox was working fine. it's an issue for me as I was going to use the Series X for 4k BD disc playback with surround sound

houdini_7

What refresh rate and video mode options do you have set on the series X?

tim68

thanks for all the help.

I think I have fixed the issue, under the advanced settings the colour depth was set to 8 bit, have changed it to 10bit, seems ok now.

Indiana Jones

If the problem comes back I would suggest changing the cable that runs between the receiver and the TV, that was what was causing my picture to randomly cut out when I upgraded my receiver 2 years ago.

tim68

Yeah I guess I should change the cable, it's years old but never had any trouble with it so never swapped it out.

what sort of cable do I need ?

thanks again.

Indiana Jones

Yeah I guess I should change the cable, it's years old but never had any trouble with it so never swapped it out.

what sort of cable do I need ?

thanks again.

I had my fingers crossed the cable I had in the wall would be up too the job when I upgraded my receiver 2 years ago as it had never given me any issues but then I had never tried feeding 4K/HDR through it so quickly learnt what had worked flawlessly for years at 1080p can quickly become obsolete when you try outputting far higher bandwidth content.

Why not use the cable that came with the Series X? and connect the Series X to your receiver using the cable you previously used for the One X, that is what I did.

Last edited:

tim68

too short, I need at least 3 metres between the amp and tv.

Indiana Jones

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom