Series X on 2017 TV

DevonMike

Ive just bought a Series X from the MS store and im wondering if anyone could advise me as to how it would look on my 2017 Sony Bravia,the tv has 2 enhanced hdmi's both 4k/60 hdr10 capable and i understand the the X is 2.1,my question is what will the display be like? Obviously i wont be getting 120fps and tbh that isnt a issue but im hoping that the graphics will,to put it bluntly,blow me away a bit more than the step up from my base ps4 to Pro did.
Thanks all

rb5201

Hard to tell, but I'm not sure if you will be blown away. Hopefully impressed and happy with it. It's still really in its development and I think it will be another year or so before we see the full capability.

Indiana Jones

Unless you went super low budget then I would say what TV you have is somewhat irrelevant as those HDMI2.1 goodies on offer to those with newer TV's don't affect the quality of the graphics its more about increasing the framerate (120fps) or smoothing out frame dips (VRR)

I was happily gaming away on my Series X until April this year hooked up to a TV I bought in 2017 and just like on the One X before it I loved it, I only upgraded to an OLED this year because I had the money and have had my eye on one for ages but if I had not upgraded I would still be just as happy with my gaming experience.

Last edited:

DevonMike

The year you got the TV isn't really the issue its the make/model, I mean my last Sony was from 2017 and I played my Series X on that until April and it was fantastic but if you bought a budget 2017 model which couldn't hit those peak HDR levels then I imagine my experience would have been quite different.

Same goes for right now, you could buy a decent 2021 model and find it phenomenal but if you buy a budget set don't be surprised if you are left wanting.
I guess i will find out when it's delivered tomorrow, my tv is a mid range model (7073) so im not expecting any miracles ,i believe its warranty lasts for another year so fingers crossed it goes kaput before that so i can upgrade then although knowing my luck it will break a day after the warranty ends.

Indiana Jones

If you had a One or One S before then the upgrade should be pretty substantial all round, if you previously had a One X then it might not be as great a leap as that machine could already do native 4K, the biggest improvements the Series X have offered IMO are having most game be 60fps as standard (this is a huge benefit) plus the extremely fast load times.

DevonMike

If you had a One or One S before then the upgrade should be pretty substantial all round, if you previously had a One X then it might not be as great a leap as that machine could already do native 4K, the biggest improvements the Series X have offered IMO are having most game be 60fps as standard (this is a huge benefit) plus the extremely fast load times.
I had a ps pro that is now destined for the kids room and after some tinkering games like rdr2 looked stunning as did modern warfare i also had a sony ubpx800m2 blu ray that is now destined for ebay.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I had a ps pro that is now destined for the kids room and after some tinkering games like rdr2 looked stunning as did modern warfare i also had a sony ubpx800m2 blu ray that is now destined for ebay.
Its going to be an upgrade on your PRO but by how much in pure visual fidelity terms is hard to say. I mean I can see a big difference between Doom Eternal on my SX and the One X version. Its big. But I guess many might say 'nah not much'. Ray tracing and the likes impact stuff but unless you pay attention you mightn't notice it and we're not seeing a resolution jump more just a jump in lighting and as mentioned above frames per second.

Take Far Cry 6 on SX and PS5 you have the high res textures and a slightly higher resolution but the biggest jump over One X and Pro is 60FPS vs 30.

So the game will look a bit better but not radically so but it will have double the frames...
To answer your original question your TV is a bit irrelevant other than the VRR and 120FPS stuff. I have a 2016 TV and it looks great on it. Though it is an OLED.

DevonMike

Thanks for all your replies folks,my existing tv was left wanting when it comes to hdr performance apparently (although with a bit of tinkering it looks pretty good in my novice opinion)however 4k looks excellent on it (as it should). Just gotta wait for some AAA titles to be released, Vanguard is definitely a purchase.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
to be honest i brought an LGCX and i dont use any of the HDMI 2.1 features dont want the drop in resolution so i dont play the games at 120hz. VRR flickering was worse than the problem it was meant to solve so tuned that off. and dont use ALLM as the tv is always in game mode

DevonMike

to be honest i brought an LGCX and i dont use any of the HDMI 2.1 features dont want the drop in resolution so i dont play the games at 120hz. VRR flickering was worse than the problem it was meant to solve so tuned that off. and dont use ALLM as the tv is always in game mode
Yep. Resolution is more important to me than fps

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom