Series S waste of time?

Doom Eternal 1440p 60fps or 1080p 120fps excluding Ray Tracing mode on Series S as of today.

I'm not denying the Series S is good value, but with previous gen titles you miss out on the One X Enhanced versions on it, as it doesn't run these.

I'm not denying the Series S is good value, but with previous gen titles you miss out on the One X Enhanced versions on it, as it doesn't run these.
I've got both an X and S and love both consoles, but I do wish the S's specs had been bumped slightly to allow the One X versions of games to run.

Agree with the above the lack of X1X versions of older games, future storage & if the dev's can be bothered are the S's Achilles heel.

Given so many games are enhanced for this gen anyway I think the BC issue is less important than it seems. Unless your favourite game ever is one x but not series enhanced I guess.

Even then the S will clear up anything with dynamic resolution and for me since it’s pitched as primarily a sub 4K 1080p machine you shouldn’t really need or expect it to churn out games at 4K. That’s not what it’s built for.

Without understanding all the technical ins and outs, it's interesting that it can run the same game made for Series X, so presumably 4K, and downscale it, but it can't run the X Enhanced versions and downscale or supersample those.

I still use a 1080p TV, as I still love the picture and gaming performance of my Sony 46W905, but whilst missing out on the HDR, RT, etc, bells and whistles, you can still see the graphical difference with X Enhanced and Optimised for X|S titles compared to their not enhanced/optimised versions when playing on the One X or Series X.

Without understanding all the technical ins and outs, it's interesting that it can run the same game made for Series X, so presumably 4K, and downscale it, but it can't run the X Enhanced versions and downscale or supersample those.

I still use a 1080p TV, as I still love the picture and gaming performance of my Sony 46W905, but whilst missing out on the HDR, RT, etc, bells and whistles, you can still see the graphical difference with X Enhanced and Optimised for X|S titles compared to their not enhanced/optimised versions when playing on the One X or Series X.
It has a smaller memory pool. It could run the One X enhanced versions but the games would need to be reworked to fit into the smaller memory pool. Games like cyberpunk where this has been done for example run far better on series S than One X.

It has nothing to do with resolutions other than the Series S is built around 1080p really. But in essence they’ve built a next gen machine with everything targeted for next gen games at 1080p. It’s just a bi product of that that the memory pool is smaller and therefore it can’t automatically take the one X versions of games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom