Series S waste of time?

RTC89

Other than it's marmite aesthetics the PS5 is a great machine for the price. The thing that put me off trying to get one was the price of the new games at 70 quid a pop. Game Pass is currently great value for money compared to Playstation Plus.
Overall gamepass and xbox series x can't be beaten in my eyes but thats not to say i can't speak positive about the ps5 just because somebody on here is a fanboy. sad really tbh. both systems have positives and negatives neither is perfect.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Other than it's marmite aesthetics the PS5 is a great machine for the price. The thing that put me off trying to get one was the price of the new games at 70 quid a pop. Game Pass is currently great value for money compared to Playstation Plus.

I’ve always wondered why so many seem to compare Game Pass to PlayStation Plus, surely you should be comparing Plus to Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass to PS Now. Currently as it stands Now doesn’t hold a candle to GP, but then it is a far cheaper service so six of one half dozen of the other.

Expired

I’ve always wondered why so many seem to compare Game Pass to PlayStation Plus, surely you should be comparing Plus to Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass to PS Now. Currently as it stands Now doesn’t hold a candle to GP, but then it is a far cheaper service so six of one half dozen of the other.
We do get a couple of mostly older games free each month with PS plus.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Stop with what? giving credit to ps5 on a £360 machine matching frame rates to the more powerful machine the xbox series x?

Looking at your posts you are a terrible fan boy I think you need to stop. Never really fully understood fanboys like yourself.
Dynamic resolution scaling will match frame rates on any system. It adjusts the resolution to preserve framerate target. So if you have a system half as powerful you can maintain 60FPS due to the way it works.

Your point is technically flawed and you keep making it. DRS fixes framerate and adjusts resolution. So any power differential is evident only in the resolution.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
In lighter Xbox related news, the embargo lifted today on fidelity FX super resolution so lots of reviews are suddenly surfacing. Very mixed results with its upscaling but I'd think realistically it would help push the series s a bit. There's probably enough overhead on a 1080p game to run it at 1440p quality mode or potentially in some cases 4K performance mode. I'd assume in console games they'd probably bake it in to the performance and quality toggle games seem to offer now with performance doing lower native resolution with upscaling and performance just doing native resolutions. Never know they may even get some 4K titles to working using it.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
We do get a couple of mostly older games free each month with PS plus.

You get those with Gold also, except the games with gold has been turned into a right collection of shovelware since Game Pass launched. I spend more time reading or watching videos about games than I do playing them and most months now there’s a game I never even knew existed on there.

RTC89

Dynamic resolution scaling will match frame rates on any system. It adjusts the resolution to preserve framerate target. So if you have a system half as powerful you can maintain 60FPS due to the way it works.

Your point is technically flawed and you keep making it. DRS fixes framerate and adjusts resolution. So any power differential is evident only in the resolution.
I don't care which way round they do it you will not stop me from having a opinion on the ps5 so keep your fan boy stuff to yourself. Many gamers care about FPS and not a lot else unfortunately

Expired

You get those with Gold also, except the games with gold has been turned into a right collection of shovelware since Game Pass launched. I spend more time reading or watching videos about games than I do playing them and most months now there’s a game I never even knew existed on there.
Good point I completely forgot about Games with Gold having got rid of my Xbox One a few years ago. Have bought a few game in the past on the playstation store cheap only for them to appear a few months later on PS plus. :facepalm:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I don't care which way round they do it you will not stop me from having a opinion on the ps5 so keep your fan boy stuff to yourself. Many gamers care about FPS and not a lot else unfortunately
You don’t care how it works yet you mentioned it repeatedly without understanding…

If all anyone cares about if 60FPS then there is a £249 console that is perfect that this thread is actually about.

RTC89

You don’t care how it works yet you mentioned it repeatedly without understanding…

If all anyone cares about if 60FPS then there is a £249 console that is perfect that this thread is actually about.
Mentioned twice? depending on the game the xbox series s is good for 60fps yes not fully stable 60fps all the time i have you know but im sure you have a theory for this as well as you seem to know everything?

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
I took the leap from xbox one X to series s, made sense to me most of my games were digital faster load ins and couldn't get my hands on a series X and I don't negotiate with scalpers.

My son's xbox one X stopped reading discs, fans getting very loud so upgraded his too.

So now we have two series S.

Don't regret it one bit and storage or lack of hasn't become an issue for us both yet.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
A whole 6 minutes to setup via the app which included an update for console and controller. Now to download some games and setup TV settings.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Ah I can't set the output to 4K 120 can I because of the cable not being Ultra High Speed so have to set it to 1440p if I want 120fps. Is that right ?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
So finally sorted the Series S by using the Series X HDMI Cable.
Seems with my LG CX and having the Series S set at 4K and 120fps with the Series S cable it did not like it.

Very impressed with it so far, looks stunning on my CX.
Only tried a few games, Ori, BF4 and Apex Legends.
So far I can't really see a huge difference between the Series X, yes only one of those games is Optimised but they all look good. BF4 at 120fps is lovely.

As speedy as my Series X and it's so small and quiet.
Controller is nice too but it doesn't come close to Elite Series 2.
I am downloaded a few more games and yes the storage is less than the Series X but I have managed to install 10 games that I regularly play. I have an Ext SSD if needed or I could just save up more reward points for the Expansion Card.

It really is a cracking little machine.
And the bonus of getting it and it being white is the wife has said it does not match anything else behind the TV and is noticeable. "Not to worry my Love the Series X is black and I will just swap it over." So Series X will be connected up to the LG CX in the Lounge and the Series S in the games room on the Samsung 4K display. Very happy with that as when I am in the games room it's normally MP games and Apex and BF games look great on the Series S.

Overall very happy.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
So finally sorted the Series S by using the Series X HDMI Cable.
Seems with my LG CX and having the Series S set at 4K and 120fps with the Series S cable it did not like it.

Very impressed with it so far, looks stunning on my CX.
Only tried a few games, Ori, BF4 and Apex Legends.
So far I can't really see a huge difference between the Series X, yes only one of those games is Optimised but they all look good. BF4 at 120fps is lovely.

As speedy as my Series X and it's so small and quiet.
Controller is nice too but it doesn't come close to Elite Series 2.
I am downloaded a few more games and yes the storage is less than the Series X but I have managed to install 10 games that I regularly play. I have an Ext SSD if needed or I could just save up more reward points for the Expansion Card.

It really is a cracking little machine.
And the bonus of getting it and it being white is the wife has said it does not match anything else behind the TV and is noticeable. "Not to worry my Love the Series X is black and I will just swap it over." So Series X will be connected up to the LG CX in the Lounge and the Series S in the games room on the Samsung 4K display. Very happy with that as when I am in the games room it's normally MP games and Apex and BF games look great on the Series S.

Overall very happy.

Why did you go with a Series S instead of a second X?, just to save money or you are limited on actual space in the games room?.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Why did you go with a Series S instead of a second X?, just to save money or you are limited on actual space in the games room?.

Availablity and cost, 2 series X would be overkill imo.
Considering the games room TV is just a standard 4K then the Series S is perfect for it.

Hopefully over the next year or so grab a Digital PS5 to go in the games room also.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Availablity and cost, 2 series X would be overkill imo.
Considering the games room TV is just a standard 4K then the Series S is perfect for it.

Hopefully over the next year or so grab a Digital PS5 to go in the games room also.
Glad you're happy. I'd not buy two series X's either, my experience has been I spend more time out of the lounge on the Series S and frankly I don't care much. I think you are spot on - most games are absolutely great on S and like you I play plenty of MP stuff that really makes no difference. Mine is on a 1080P TV though so I guess relative to the TV its basically very similar to the X.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp