Series S waste of time?

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Would be nice if they released a Series X with no Disc Drive at a reduced cost.

I’d love a whole range of SKU, one with a 2tb SSD inside for £599 would be great, I would have bought that one if it was an option.

I’m wondering when the first fancy pants limited edition version is going to arrive, probably not until the chip shortage is more under control maybe?. Even design Lab for the controllers hasn’t made it’s comeback yet.

Greyman43

Would be nice if they released a Series X with no Disc Drive at a reduced cost.

I’m banking on this being a model when the mid gen refresh comes in a few years. That’s when I’ll upgrade and send the SS to the living room as Xbox is merely a game pass machine for me.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
A series s with a bigger ssd is what I'd like. I can love with all the other drawbacks compared to the S but that storage will run dry all the time, especially trying to complete gamepass quests I have quite a high turnover of games being installed and uninstalled to free up space on the 1Tb one s digital. For me at least the upgrade to 1Tb in the series X pass probably going to be worth the money. I'm just waiting for our house to be built so we aren't paying rent and mortgage, my partner to go back to work and it to be in stock on a site that has discount codes available.

badsimian

This is what will make me ‘upgrade’ to the SX at some point, probably when the high street is open again. I bought an SS from Tesco’s a few weeks back while I was in there shopping. They were on the shelf and so I bought one almost on the spur of the moment. Yesterday I ordered an SX from Game but cancelled it this morning as getting rid of the SS would be too much hassle until my local Game and/or CEX is open, (can’t be bothered travelling or couriering stuff.) I’ll just trade the SS in when the shops are open again. I’m in no rush. I’m enjoying the SS and I’ll get the SX when more secondhand discs are available. No way I’m paying 70 quid for a game.

If you don't mind the initial outlay it's worth getting the 3 years of Gamepass ultimate for around £90-£120 or so which is what I did. I think they are still doing the conversion of any Xbox Live gold to gamepass ultimate for £1. Best bargain ever.

Flawed Tactics

How quiet is the Series X because the Series S is silent, I literally mean you cannot hear a thing! How have MS done this? The last 2 generations of consoles PS and XBOX have been noisey to some degree, now suddenly we have silence lol.

Any PS5 owners wish to give some insight on that console? I imagine it’s no hair dryer but have Sony done as good a job as ms on this aspect.

Greyman43

How quiet is the Series X because the Series S is silent, I literally mean you cannot hear a thing! How have MS done this? The last 2 generations of consoles PS and XBOX have been noisey to some degree, now suddenly we have silence lol.

Any PS5 owners wish to give some insight on that console? I imagine it’s no hair dryer but have Sony done as good a job as ms on this aspect.

I can’t speak for the Series X but can for the PS5. It’s MUCH quieter than a PS4 but not silent. The most prominent noise I hear is the disc drive spooling up occasionally, I do hear the fan every now and then but that’s pretty close to silent.

The Series S is definitely quieter though as it’s absolutely silent all the time like you say!

A Berry Name For Me

I've been greedy and have the XSX, XSS and a PS5 disc, the two Xbox consoles are virtually silent, I can't hear mine unless I put my ear next to the vents and then I can hear the quiet whisper of the fans doing their job.

As for the PS5, while it's certainly not noisy and nothing like my old One X, it's also not silent like the Series consoles. I often hear the fan spin up during games (digital games) and I can some times hear a buzzing from it (probably the disc drive as this seems to be during disc games) but that's random.

However, compared to the last generation, it's a massive improvement and I'm sure most PS5 owners won't even notice with coming from the PS4, I only really noticed because I had both the Series X & S first.

BigTelHols

I've got a PS5, XSX and XSS and the Series S us the quietest of the 3. It's a brilliant little machine, had time to spare before work this morning so booted up the Series S and had 10 minutes on Gears Tactics before work :)

Flawed Tactics

If it’s ok for Nintendo to be generationally behind with its hardware, then it’s ok for the Series S to be less capable than its bigger brother, and still have a good place in the market.

badsimian

I don't think noise is a problem with any of them, I had a SS and now a SX and they are both silent to me although I suppose side by side it might be possible to tell a difference.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
A series s with a bigger ssd is what I'd like. I can love with all the other drawbacks compared to the S but that storage will run dry all the time, especially trying to complete gamepass quests I have quite a high turnover of games being installed and uninstalled to free up space on the 1Tb one s digital. For me at least the upgrade to 1Tb in the series X pass probably going to be worth the money. I'm just waiting for our house to be built so we aren't paying rent and mortgage, my partner to go back to work and it to be in stock on a site that has discount codes available.

I won't be surprised to see different SKU's eventually, with different storage options. Maybe a 512GB and 1TB model S and a 1TB and 2TB model X.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I don't think noise is a problem with any of them, I had a SS and now a SX and they are both silent to me although I suppose side by side it might be possible to tell a difference.

Yeap my XSX is silent pretty much, only hear the disk drive after I turn it on for a bit.

Last edited:

jdevil

Distinguished Member
I bought a SS, previously had a PS4 I never used to play much but went for the cheap 3y of gamepass and the Xbox. I really liked it, very quick and looked great but....I ran out of space quite quickly and moving games off/on an external SSD got a bit painful. I kept thinking about what I was missing out on given I was using a 55" 4K OLED TV. So I sold the SS and got my SX from Smyths on Friday.

For the sake of £200 I am more than doubling my storage, I get much more graphics power and a disc drive that allows me to pick up second hand games. I will benefit from all the games that got OneX enhancements that wouldn't be there on the SS. Overall I will not miss the £200 over the lifetime of the machine.

(Btw if you are after xbox stock then try the HotStock app to get notifications of when they come in, that's how I got mine)
I’m in the same boat, I’m just waiting for the series X to be back in stock before I sell my Series S.

The 500gb hard drives is way too small in the current gen, Cold War and Red Dead 2 takes over 300gb alone.

Also the backward compatibility games look crap as they don’t have the X enchanced compatibility. It’s massively noticeable when you play the true tier games like Red Dead 2 where the 4K graphical features on the One X truly shines.

For the sake of £200 I’m better off with the Series X, double the hard drive, 4K gaming and X enchanted compatibility as well as the disc drive for cheaper games. Even with VPN in paying more for digital games!

Zeus0909

I have the series s alongside the ps5, I'm quite happy with it paired with gamepass as it will only be used for future xbox exclusives, next gen games will be ps5 only, the 500gb is more than enough, I have forzahorizon4, the medium, outriders, quantum break, gears 5 and some indie games and still have little under 100gb left

bubs999

I didn't realise the Series S was only £249, so it seems an absolute bargain and I'm seriously tempted. I was going to wait and get a series X, but until bots quit buying everything up and then selling at inflated prices, it ain't going to happen.
I only play 1 or 2 games, COD and then whatever Battlefield is out.
I haven't bought a disc in years either.

I just wish it was black, as the Mrs will spot it straight away and kill me 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom