Series S waste of time?

Flawed Tactics

Don’t take the title the wrong way, I’m buying the Series S.

I want peoples opinions on their experience with this tiny console, so people who have actually used it, people who have come from an Xbox One X to the Series S.

Opinions welcome on Series S/X exclusive titles, opinions on Xbox One X enhanced titles played on Series S or are they not supported, opinions on standard Xbox One games on the Series S. Just general performance of games on the Series S compared to the last gen consoles.

Also is it worth going from One X to Series S, my main reason for going with the Series S is that I want access to the very few S/X games available, will probably upgrade to a Series X at some point when they become readily available.

I don’t want to be told to hold out for the Series X, I already know it’s the better console but it’s no good if they can’t be bought, and I’ve waited long enough, I want a new toy now 😂

Appreciate your input on this.

dave_a

So I was a Playstation user for all 4 generations (had the regular 4 not the pro).

For me as a casual gamer it has been great. Some titles I never played are available to me. Gamepass is the perfect thing for me, I subscribe to a number of other services on TV so why be differnt with my games.

I was worried about it not being 4K, as I have a 4K OLED. But it is a 4K machine. Yes it isn't native 4K but from my sofa I doubt I could tell the difference between upscaled and native.

My only warning is the backwards compatible games are meant to be crap on the S as it is the one S version they use rather than the one X versions. That might be a decider if you are looking at a number of games that have not or will not get series X/S enhancements.

Indiana Jones

So I was a Playstation user for all 4 generations (had the regular 4 not the pro).

For me as a casual gamer it has been great. Some titles I never played are available to me. Gamepass is the perfect thing for me, I subscribe to a number of other services on TV so why be differnt with my games.

I was worried about it not being 4K, as I have a 4K OLED. But it is a 4K machine. Yes it isn't native 4K but from my sofa I doubt I could tell the difference between upscaled and native.

My only warning is the backwards compatible games are meant to be crap on the S as it is the one S version they use rather than the one X versions. That might be a decider if you are looking at a number of games that have not or will not get series X/S enhancements.
FYI the Series S can do native 4K just fine, of course it will upscale non-native 4K games but that is the same as the Series X so while native 4K games might be few are far between on the Series S they do exist and all those reports about it being a 1440p console only are bull.

dave_a

FYI the Series S can do native 4K just fine, of course it will upscale non-native 4K games but that is the same as the Series X so while native 4K games might be few are far between on the Series S they do exist and all those reports about it being a 1440p console only are bull.

Yep that is true, I have played native 4K (ori) on the series S. The 1440 thing was really badly marketed I think, I ignored the console before I actually found out what it was in reality.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I've never had it, have the Series X. But I follow some tech You Tubers, a couple who can easily afford a Series X, one in particular had a One X, but they both chose the Series S instead and seem more then happy with it.

Greyman43

I’m generally a PlayStation guy but I’ve dabbled in Xbox over the generations. I just picked up a Series S in Amazon’s latest restock as a cheap game pass machine to go alongside my PS5 for full fat next gen gaming.

I’ve just loaded Gears 5 onto it and I’m bloody impressed, I was worried the 4K up scaled image would be a let down on my 4K TV but it’s honestly hardly noticeable and 60fps no less! I think non-optimised Xbox One games are the weakest area atm and you will be disappointed compared even to an Xbox One X there but judging by the properly optimised games they’re a fantastic upgrade over anything last gen so this will only get better with time.

Now I caveat this by saying that if Xbox was my main platform I know I wouldn’t be happy unless I got the X but as a PS guy I feel like I’m having my cake and eating with the Xbox Series S right now.

With all the potential game pass has in another 2-3 years I can easily see me picking up the slimmed down discless X revision that’s undoubtedly on the horizon and moving the S to the lounge if and when MS gets some really killer exclusives.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I had been saving up my MS Reward Points to go towards a Series S but cashed them in for the Wireless Headset that comes out next week.

I still think I am going to grab an S for the Lounge at some point. Will save my MS Reward Points up again and could have close to £100 off a Series S in the next 6 months.
Would love them to drop it to £199 which I think could be a possibility this year I reckon.

Would be good to have the Series S in the Lounge on my LG CX and keep the Series X in the Games Room.

So I don't think it is a waste of time considering a lot of people have grabbed one to go along side a PS5 or as a second console. I would rarely consider getting another Xbox as I already have a Series X but for one that cheap for what it does I am seriously considering it.

Flawed Tactics

My Series S turned up today from Very, first up the console itself is such a cutie lol, the best looking games console I’ve ever had, so from that perspective I’m incredibly pleased, Microsoft have nailed the design of this tiny box. The white controller, whilst nothing new the look and feel is on par with the console itself, very impressive package.

Not had chance to play anything of note just yet, as this is a digital only console, it’s going to be tomorrow before I can get some Game Pass content downloaded.

I will be playing Control at some point as this is currently on my play list, proper looking forward to the quick load times on this game, death loading screen on One X is painful !

Will post more thoughts has I get on with my cute Series X

Vini

I've both S & X, and play the S more. In terms of hardware, its great, such power from such a form factor. I ONLY buy digital, so the disc drive in my X will never see any action.

I prefer the 1440p offered by the S... it must be my ageing eyes, but with everything being bigger, its just preferable. I appreciate the X is offering me more in terms of flip-flops and shiny shiny, but reality is, as a casual gamer, the S is a belter.

Hours of CoD have been had, and its a great little unit.

A Berry Name For Me

I have a Series S console & I personally think this tiny machine is an absolute beast. OK, admittedly it's my back up console to the XSX but I don't notice much difference between the two on most of the games I play. FH4 does lack the graphical detail of the XSX version but still plays like a dream (no judder like the One X version) and the way MS have managed to integrate the ease of switching between both the XSS & XSX makes the Series S a great console, I love this little beast of a 'speaker'.

As I said in the 'Series X regrets' thread I have an older One X which I did power up a couple weeks back as I was thinking of using that as my second console and maybe selling the Series S but no way is that happening now after powering it up. I can honestly say that I'd choose my Series S every time over the One X, even at the loss of 4K in certain games. I appreciate others will disagree with me but that's how I feel about it.

It's certainly not a wast of time as far as I'm concerned.

Lewiee

Upgraded 2 one s's for the kids to series s's. Loading times on Fh4 and other games are brill. Not sure on the one x but I think they were comparible to the one s, slowwww. I keep looking and thinking about upgrading to the series x, think it's just the fact it's hard to get that makes me want it 😁. The only thing to. Consider if the 500gb storage is poo.

Greyman43

Upgraded 2 one s's for the kids to series s's. Loading times on Fh4 and other games are brill. Not sure on the one x but I think they were comparible to the one s, slowwww. I keep looking and thinking about upgrading to the series x, think it's just the fact it's hard to get that makes me want it 😁. The only thing to. Consider if the 500gb storage is poo.

The storage is certainly an issue for unoptimised games but ones that have been properly optimised for the S are very reasonable on file size thanks to storing lower res texture packs etc.

Sea of Thieves for example is about 46GB on Series X and only 17GB on Series S so if we can expect file size savings like that in future it should become less of an issue than it seems on the surface.

Flawed Tactics

The loads times on any game on the internal storage is definitely a defining feature of ‘next gen’, also quick resume another outstanding feature!

I think these new consoles are great!

My Series S takes pride of place.

If your not a slave to graphical fidelity and can’t find a Series X or indeed afford one, then the Series S is a good halfway house until circumstances change.

Last edited:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I had a one x and now have a Series S and X. I honestly think the S is just amazing value. Unbelievable value. If all I had was the S I’d be more than happy with it. If you take the games where stuff is there on the X and not on the S in my experience it literally hasn’t mattered at all. I play the S more because it’s upstairs and more convenient for me. I guess the only issue I have is the SSD size is fine but takes managing. Mainly this is down to gamepass and games just being thrown into that service and almost demanding an install out of the sheer lunacy of the value. And being on the internal just makes things really fast to load.

If anything I’d say as I get older I care much less about the top of the line power and almost find the X overkill. The S isn’t so good for BC stuff because you get the one s version. And that is a bit disappointing in reality given gamepass has me dabbling in these older games especially stuff from end of last gen. But these games look much better on the X. But that is the only area where I do think it’s a compromise for a previous one X owner. For current gen games or those enhanced it’s absolutely great. The resolution takes a hit generally so that’s where you compromise. But it’s £250. For that price you get a box capable of ray tracing and 60FPS and it’s amazing.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Make if this what you will.

It is presented as clickbait but its not. I mean I know someone with a PS5 I even played it a fair bit before this latest lockdown and he's had a lot of issues. Not major ones but niggly ones. To the point that he wishes he'd bought an Xbox instead even though he's not had one since the 360. I also think the pre-launch debate about the Xbox not having new content and the PS5 having loads of it has somewhat been revealed as a clever marketing rouse. Astro's playroom was brilliant but nobody is playing it now. And whilst its true that Xbox hasn't exactly been brimming with new exclusives - with gamepass it sort of doesn't matter. He's sitting there enviously seeing that I can play outriders a brand new AAA game for no extra money and he'd have to shell out £60 or whatever for a game that like me he's not really bothered about....to the extent of paying for it. I've been playing some Bethesda stuff I missed out on originally - and yes old games - but if he fancies filling a gap in he's got to shell out money.

The thing this time around is there is no bad hardware so either box is good. And there is really a choice between a massive and instant gamepass library with the promise of the largest first party lineup in the industry pumping content into it as we move into the generation or the admittedly proven and known quantity of Sony 1st party games - but of course - you pay full price to play at launch. To me the choice at launch was closer but I'd say now that I honestly think for most gamers Xbox is a better choice currently. Later in the gen when Sony's big hitters are out and lowered in price the PS5 becomes very very attractive. But right now gamepass literally means my Xbox is getting constant use and I'm not even noticing when new stuff comes out or waiting for it. There is always something new to play. And I've not even scratched the surface. What Xbox lacks is the universal excitement and scramble over titles that Sony definitely has and I'm not convinced they'll fix that because all their studios are more about filling niches rather than necessarily being the next AAA massive thing churning out games that appeal to tens of millions instantly. And I think that does give Sony an advantage in terms of exciting your average gamer. But I think most of it is window dressing and naughty dog. Beyond that I do think Xbox is a better bet for most people, other than of course those with killer PC's already.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I'm fascinated to see what AMDs fidelityfx super resolution(crap name) can do in the series s. It's their version of dlss and they've said it's being held back on pc cards as they want it to launch across their entire product stack, including Xbox and PlayStation. For those that don't know dlss off users well can render a game at 1080p and upscale with ai to 4k and the results are bloody good for minimal extra power usage. I feel like if done well this is how we'll get 4K games out of a series s. With how ms are working I'll be interested to see if they can get one s versions of games auto upscaling to 4k.

At the same time though is the s gets an upscale to 4k I think the X still likely jump to 8k upscaling.

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
I picked up the S as I missed out on the last Xbox generation and wanted to replay 360 games + take advantage of game pass. So far I can’t complain. It does what ai need for now. Will upgrade to the X later down the line if they have some good limited edition console out.

only thing to bear in mind is some of the upgraded games use the base Xb1 version, which have some sacrifices compaed to the XbX versions. I’ve noticed on games like Star Wars Fallen Order are a bit blurry or have lower frame rates. Not a big issue for me as I play on a 1080p tv in my man cave.

BigTelHols

My Series S from Amazon arrived today, surprised by how small and quiet it is. Bought it to go in living room and play co-op Game Pass games with OH, already got a Series X in man cave for AAA gaming which I'm loving.

badsimian

I bought a SS, previously had a PS4 I never used to play much but went for the cheap 3y of gamepass and the Xbox. I really liked it, very quick and looked great but....I ran out of space quite quickly and moving games off/on an external SSD got a bit painful. I kept thinking about what I was missing out on given I was using a 55" 4K OLED TV. So I sold the SS and got my SX from Smyths on Friday.

For the sake of £200 I am more than doubling my storage, I get much more graphics power and a disc drive that allows me to pick up second hand games. I will benefit from all the games that got OneX enhancements that wouldn't be there on the SS. Overall I will not miss the £200 over the lifetime of the machine.

(Btw if you are after xbox stock then try the HotStock app to get notifications of when they come in, that's how I got mine)

Last edited:

Flawed Tactics

Playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my SS, great game by the way! Just out of curiosity I played it on the One X, yes it does look slightly better but boy did it stutter and drop frames, not a good experience.
30 fps on Series S and it it’s solid, yet to experience any performance drop.

themanwithapc

Interesting chat as I have been debating the same thing. Already have a PS5, switch and gaming PC but would like a box for GP in the living room.

The SS has going for it:
  • Price
  • Size
  • Current availability
  • Sound (debatable?)

The SX in comparison:
  • Power
  • Disc drive
  • Storage space

As someone else said earlier, I think I'll just go for the SX as I'm unlikely to miss the extra £200 over the course of its lifespan and the disc drive is swinging it for me (able to buy old Xbox 360 games and play).

Although you'll probably have less of a drop in price on the SS in the second hand market if you decide to upgrade in future to a Series XX (or whatever).....

MisterRigsby

...... disc drive that allows me to pick up second hand games......

This is what will make me ‘upgrade’ to the SX at some point, probably when the high street is open again. I bought an SS from Tesco’s a few weeks back while I was in there shopping. They were on the shelf and so I bought one almost on the spur of the moment. Yesterday I ordered an SX from Game but cancelled it this morning as getting rid of the SS would be too much hassle until my local Game and/or CEX is open, (can’t be bothered travelling or couriering stuff.) I’ll just trade the SS in when the shops are open again. I’m in no rush. I’m enjoying the SS and I’ll get the SX when more secondhand discs are available. No way I’m paying 70 quid for a game.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton