Series S or X ?

• Series S

Votes: 30 15.5%
  • Series X

Votes: 144 74.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 20 10.3%

• Total voters

Makes me laugh that MS were completely upfront about what the S is. A console with next gen features that plays games at 1080p-1440p. Their video stressed it was resolution that took the hit. Yet you have people accusing them of trying to confuse people. It’s embarrassing. Microsoft have been really clear and hit this one out of the park.

I read somewhere that MS supposedly confirmed that Series S will not use One X Enhanced updates, but is limited to base Xbox One back-compat instead.

So if that's true a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 would stack up like this...

Xbox One S - 864p
Xbox Series S - 864p
PS4 - 1080p
PS4 Pro - 1920x2160p
PS5 - 1920x2160p (presumably)
Xbox One X - native 4K 3840x2160p
Xbox Series X - native 4K 3840x2160p

There's clearly murky waters here with regards to the SS back-compat capabilities. We know that Sony's PS4 Pro is similarily touted as a 1440p box vs. Xbox One X's often much closer reach for 4K.

There is the potential here for Sony to capitalise on Xbox's inadvertent early price reveal just by adjusting their PS5 price, and potentially pushing PS4 Pro as their '1440p 30fps box, upto 60fps' to add further confusion.

They might be able to break the price stranglehold Microsoft has with their Xbox Series S by having a marketed '1440p' PS4 Pro 100 notes cheaper, and the PS5 Digital Edition 100 notes more expensive - effectively boxing in the SS at both ends. With the PS5 Disc Edition matching XSX on price.

It's not a good look for the next-gen SS console, I don't think it overly matters as we look forward to next-gen games, and that scenario should change for 'next-gen upgraded' titles. For example, if GTA V's upgrade is 4K 60fps, then from what Microsoft is touting the framerate should be a match on the SS, but just at 1440p instead.

I can't see Sony using anything PS4 to bridge the gap to match the series s, they've made a song and dance that ps5 games will not run on the PS4 to fill that gap with it and considering their backwards compatibility is even more up in the air than Microsoft's you might not even be able to play games on the ps5 at all.

The backwards compatibility thing looks like it is getting confusing though, a series s will run enhanced versions reducing load times and adding hdr to games didn't have it, but not running the versions updated to run on the one X at 4k. I'm not sure if they can somehow have it upscaling games like red dead to look better at 1080p. This is all assuming developers don't opt to patch in better performance for the series s using s combination of one X and one s versions.

I read somewhere that MS supposedly confirmed that Series S will not use One X Enhanced updates, but is limited to base Xbox One back-compat instead.

Xbox One S - 864p
Xbox Series S - 864p
PS4 - 1080p
PS4 Pro - 1920x2160p

There's clearly murky waters here with regards to the SS back-compat capabilities. We know that Sony's PS4 Pro is similarily touted as a 1440p box vs. Xbox One X's often much closer reach for 4K.

There is the potential here for Sony to capitalise on Xbox's inadvertent early price reveal just by adjusting their PS5 price, and potentially pushing PS4 Pro as their '1440p 30fps box, upto 60fps' to add further confusion.

They might be able to break the price stranglehold Microsoft has with their Xbox Series S by having a marketed '1440p' PS4 Pro 100 notes cheaper, and the PS5 Digital Edition 100 notes more expensive - effectively boxing in the SS at both ends. With the PS5 Disc Edition matching XSX on price.

It's not a good look for the next-gen SS console, I don't think it overly matters as we look forward to next-gen games, and that scenario should change for 'next-gen upgraded' titles. For example, if GTA V's upgrade is 4K 60fps, then from what Microsoft is touting the framerate should be a match on the SS, but just at 1440p instead.

I really don’t understand this logic. The S is a next gen console and has already been shown running Gears 5 and 120FPS and the new Watch Dogs with ray Tracing. The back compat for Xbox one games is down to the different memory configs only but it’s clearly aimed at 1080-1440 for the next gen.

Ive no idea how the PS4Pro is relevant at all, unless its suddenly a magical next gen system (spoiler - it isn’t). The PS4 pro has no back compat ability...and is a current gen system.

Xbox Series S - the console broadly aimed at people who dont understand a word of what you just posted. My sister (who has a family of 4) has a 720p TV and doesn know what 720p is.

@Waynej - thats a good post and correct this next bit is not aimed at you.

For a alot of users it breaks down like this

PS lastest one - how much !
Xbox X box - how much!
Xbox S box - hmmmm Xmas sorted.

I'd rather buy a new Series S than a Pro. The pro is miles behind the Series S and won't be able to do any of the new enhancements this gen would bring.

The back compat thing wouldn't be an issue for me as i've little interest in it and zero interest in anything older than X1/PS4 generation of gaming.

To those above, I never claimed PS4 Pro would run next-gen games. I'm merely pointing out that base PS4 and PS4 Pro often outperform Xbox One S games, and the fact Series S appears forced to use these versions of games means that the next-gen Series S is in a very bizarre position of being outperformed by a current-gen rival for the large Xbox One back compat library.

Obviously Series X doesn't share this conundrum as that will use the One X Enhanced patches.

As for PS4 Pro pricing, I'm merely just speculating at the likely-hood of a 1440p30/60fps PS4 Pro console being 100 cheaper than the 1440p60/120fps Xbox Series S, with the potential for the PS5 DE coming in at 100 extra. Obviously the PS4 Pro plays last-gen games, but given cross-gen will be a big thing for at least another year or two, it can't hurt to speculate how Sony may roll the dice here.

To those above, I never claimed PS4 Pro would run next-gen games. I'm merely pointing out that base PS4 and PS4 Pro often outperform Xbox One S games, and the fact Series S appears forced to use these versions of games means that the next-gen Series S is in a very bizarre position of being outperformed by a current-gen rival for the large Xbox One back compat library.

Obviously Series X doesn't share this conundrum as that will use the One X Enhanced patches.

As for PS4 Pro pricing, I'm merely just speculating at the likely-hood of a 1440p30/60fps PS4 Pro console being 100 cheaper than the 1440p60/120fps Xbox Series S, with the potential for the PS5 DE coming in at 100 extra. Obviously the PS4 Pro plays last-gen games, but given cross-gen will be a big thing for at least another year or two, it can't hurt to speculate how Sony may roll the dice here.
It's a double edged sword, resolution might be higher but things like load times will be significantly reduced. I think we will need to wait and see what the likes of digital foundry find when they review it. I get the feeling ms might have some special sauce to enhance these games but km not sure to what extent they can upscale, anti alias or improve frame rates on games without major work to patch them.

Surely the series S will add next gen benefits like faster loading etc? I'd hope so but like I say are people really that bothered about the old games when surely you'd be buying it for the new games?

But with a cross gen game...like for example watch dogs..on Series S you get the next gen version with ray tracing and all the next gen stuff, at 1080p or 1440p. The PS4 pro gives you the old last gen version of the game.

I think you are confusing yourself here. If you want to play old games that aren’t being updated then yes the Series S will give you the One S version with some enhancements. But for any new games or games that the developer updates in some way, whether they are cross gen or not the Series S will provide a next gen experience at a lower resolution - for people who don’t have a 4K TV, use a monitor or simply don’t care.

The Pro isnt getting the next gen FIFA version, the S is, the Pro isn’t getting the next gen Cyberpunk version, the S is, same for every game releasing from about now and onwards...

Surely the series S will add next gen benefits like faster loading etc? I'd hope so but like I say are people really that bothered about the old games when surely you'd be buying it for the new games?
I agree, it's more about next-gen games than back compat. Maybe I shouldn't have brought up PS4 into the discussion with comparisons. It just crossed my mind with the news of being limited to One S versions of games. But remove base PS4 and Pro from the equation, it's still a little surprising to me that the SS back compat can't match the Xbox One X.

On a positive note I believe some Xbox One S games have uncapped framerates like RE2 and RE7, so even unpatched the SS will likely max that 60fps target out, and if a game uses dynamic scaling then that'll work in the SS' favour too. Besides this it seems SS owners can also look forward to other games that get a next-gen upgrade, like GTA V and Witcher 3, which once enhanced for next-gen will then obviously surpass the back compat S versions.

Last edited:
The S does do upscaling 4K for games so I'm sure it won't be that bad.

Be interested to see if the upscaling is a regular style or an AI based one like Nvidias DLSS. I'm not sure how easy it would be but considering Microsoft made software to implement backwards compatibility on the Xbox one to be able to make more games available I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to automatically update Xbox one games in some way without developers involvement.

AMD still haven't shown what big Navi can do so part of me wonders if some things like ai upscaling are being held back on the details if they are a thing until amd is ready to show their hand at the end of October. It's still weird we know now about their new GPUs based on Xbox and PlayStation announcements than what they've confirmed themselves.

I agree, it's more about next-gen games than back compat. Maybe I shouldn't have brought up PS4 into the discussion with comparisons. It just crossed my mind with the news of being limited to One S versions of games. But remove base PS4 and Pro from the equation, it's still a little surprising to me that the SS back compat can't match the Xbox One X.

On a positive note I believe some Xbox One S games have uncapped framerates like RE2 and RE7, so even unpatched the SS will likely max that 60fps target out, and if a game uses dynamic scaling then that'll work in the SS' favour too. Besides this it seems SS owners can also look forward to other games that get a next-gen upgrade, like GTA V and Witcher 3, which once enhanced for next-gen will then obviously surpass the back compat S versions.

It’s simply because the One X has a larger RAM pool...there is absolutely no power or technical reason why the S can’t run current gen games on the X version if the dev recodes them into the smaller RAM pool with the 1440p resolution...but BC doesn’t work like that....it’s automated. There are two profiles and the X profile assumes 9Gb of RAM and the One S is 8GB RAM. Therefore the X profile can’t run on the Series S in an automated way.

If you're not coming from a One X then I guess it doesn't really matter, you don't miss what you don't have.

Coming from an Xbox One/S, as mentioned even if you miss out on the One X enhancements, you're at least getting the same game as played on Xbox One/S and there's that benefit of fast loading times thanks to the SSD. Any framerate issues will be ironed out, and as said before, games that have 60fps uncapped and dynamic resolution will hit their target.

Halo 5 should be a great example to test. It looks terrible on One S (a major 4K overhaul on One X) and uses dynamic scaling. Obviously the One S ceiling will be 1080p, so even for the One S version running on SS this should provide a significant improvement and hit 1080p by brute force on the SS - without any patches required by the devs.

I honestly dont know whats so confusing about the whole xbox series S resolution thing it doesnt play any games at 4k, last gen, next gen current gen no games at 4k

I honestly dont know whats so confusing about the whole xbox series S resolution thing it doesnt play any games at 4k, last gen, next gen current gen no games at 4k
In simple terms yes. I guess it’s confusing because it’s more powerful than the One X but because of a quirk in how BC works it can’t play the One X versions of games. But if you made Halo 5 for it or worked specifically on an enhancement for it you would get a better version of Halo 5 on the Series S than the One X....

In simple terms yes. I guess it’s confusing because it’s more powerful than the One X but because of a quirk in how BC works it can’t play the One X versions of games. But if you made Halo 5 for it or worked specifically on an enhancement for it you would get a better version of Halo 5 on the Series S than the One X....

I am sure many games will receive Series S tailored patches to crank them up to beyond One X levels, some might be stuck in One S states but titles like Red Dead IMO will definitely get optimised.

I guess the real question is how many will be ready on November 10th? my gut says quite a lot as devs have said it’s very straight forward porting Xbox One games to work on Series X so come release week I expect MS to publish a long list of ‘Optimised for Series S/X’ games similar to the list they put out before the One X launch.

I am sure many games will receive Series S tailored patches to crank them up to beyond One X levels, some might be stuck in One S states but titles like Red Dead IMO will definitely get optimised.

I guess the real question is how many will be ready on November 10th? my gut says quite a lot as devs have said it’s very straight forward porting Xbox One games to work on Series X so come release week I expect MS to publish a long list of ‘Optimised for Series S/X’ games similar to the list they put out before the One X launch.

We know games like FH4 will be. I can’t see third parties doing it for launch for old games. We will see though.

Xbox One S - 864p
Xbox Series S - 864p
PS4 - 1080p
PS4 Pro - 1920x2160p

It was confirmed, but it will also enhance the games too, like with frame rates and loading time’s, beyond that I guess we will have to see what they look like? But it’s no biggie as you still get a massive backlog of games to play plus next gen ones for £249.

No brainer for me, I've got over 335,000 MS Reward points saved up worth around £290, I'm going to sell my One X and use it to get the Series X. Effectively a free upgrade.

I’m just going to stick with the One X for a while. Similar performance to the S. If I was to get a new one, it would be the Series X.

I will get a series X but want a new TV first and i cant be bothered with all the pre order nonsense so eventually when you can just go into argos and buy one i will

I’m just going to stick with the One X for a while. Similar performance to the S. If I was to get a new one, it would be the Series X.

It isn’t similar performance. It’s a current gen system. The next gen versions of games won’t run on it. It can’t do ray tracing or 120FPS or higher quality lighting and shadows etc...The benchmarks for the two systems would be very different.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom