Series s ideal for my use?

Yorkshire toffee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating getting an xbox series s. I only really play football games and occasionally other sports game, so I'm wondering if the series s rather then the series x is more then adequate for my needs?

I'd appreciate some advice before I buy. Thanks

I would say so, it's more than capable of handling a few sports games.

Have you no use of a disc drive? Something else to consider.

I'm contemplating getting an xbox series s. I only really play football games and occasionally other sports game, so I'm wondering if the series s rather then the series x is more then adequate for my needs?

I'd appreciate some advice before I buy. Thanks
For a casual gamer it's ideal & great value for money. It's the best £250 quid I've spent in a while.

Going forward I think most games on the Series S will be 1080p 60fps.

The negative is the 365GB of storage, but if you just play FIFA mostly I can't see it been a problem. The Series S/X enhanced version of FIFA21 is around 100GB in size.

For a casual gamer it's ideal & great value for money. It's the best £250 quid I've spent in a while.

The negative is the 365GB of storage, but if you just play FIFA mostly I can't see it been a problem. The Series S/X enhanced version of FIFA21 is around 100GB in size.
I'm going to buy it on the 18th when I next get paid. Is it best to buy the console for £250, or the console and 3 month game pass ultimate for 279, which is the better deal?

Sorry for all the questions it's been a while since I was last an xbox user.

You can do that, or find some cheap xbox live gold 12 month subs (you can stack 3 years), then use an Ultimate sub to convert it, cheapest way to do it.

I'm going to buy it on the 18th when I next get paid. Is it best to buy the console for £250, or the console and 3 month game pass ultimate for 279, which is the better deal?

Sorry for all the questions it's been a while since I was last an xbox user.
Game Pass Ultimate for me is great value for money & if you link it your EA account you will also gain access to a lot of sport games including FIFA 19,20 & 21. Please bear in mind only FIFA 21 is Xbox Series enhanced, the older games will be Xbox One versions due to backward compatibility.

See link below.
https://help.ea.com/en/help/ea-play/ea-play-and-xbox-game-pass/

I got a series S the other night for £235 from Tesco's (club card price) as I'm fed up with the lottery of trying to get a Series X or PS5 & I still have nearly three years of game pass ultimate remaining, it's a cracking little console, really small, looks great and is absolutely silent, SSD is fast, I like the HDMI-CEC control which I've never had on an Xbox before & I don't miss the lack of a physical disc drive at all. The only downside is the graphics don't really look next gen, in fact they probably look marginally inferior to the Xbox one X running the same titles but the framerates are better so I'll take that compromise. Also it has Microsoft Flight Sim on game pass which runs amazingly on the S so that's probably worth the asking price alone.

Last edited:
You can do that, or find some cheap xbox live gold 12 month subs (you can stack 3 years), then use an Ultimate sub to convert it, cheapest way to do it.
Definitely take advantage of this, I got x3 12 month Brazilian Gold cards from CD Keys for £99 at the end of last year and converted them to my account using a VPN which gave me 34 months of game pass ultimate for exactly £100 with the £1 upgrade offer, absolute steal.

I got a series S the other night for £235 from Tesco's (club card price) as I'm fed up with the lottery of trying to get a Series X or PS5 & I still have nearly three years of game pass ultimate remaining, it's a cracking little console, really small, looks great and is absolutely silent, SSD is fast and I like the HDMI-CEC control which I've never had on an Xbox before. The only downside is the graphics don't really look next gen, in fact they probably look marginally inferior to the Xbox one X running the same titles but the framerates are better so I'll take that compromise. Also it has Microsoft Flight Sim on game pass which runs amazingly on the S so that's probably worth the asking price alone.
I think the Series S has a slightly less powerful GPU compared to the Xbox One X. Hence way we get old Xbox One versions compared to Xbox One X versions on the Series X when it's comes to backward compatibility on some games.

I think the Series S has a slightly less powerful GPU compared to the Xbox One X. Hence way we get old Xbox One versions compared to Xbox One X versions on the Series X when it's comes to backward compatibility on some games.
That’s not why. It’s because the series S memory pool is smaller than one X and therefore to take advantage of the series S you need to recode the games which obviously doesn’t happen for BC.

In terms of power of GPU’s you can’t really directly compare numbers across generations but they are quite similar in raw power terms but the S obviously has all the RDNA2 features which will make a bigger and bigger difference as the generation goes on. There are quite a few examples recently that show the gap between the One X and Series S as developers start to use RDNA2z

It's not that big it's actually smaller than the Xbox one X version in size of the top of the head without looking at my console it's no larger that 42gb

It's not that big it's actually smaller than the Xbox one X version in size of the top of the head without looking at my console it's no larger that 42gb
My bad, don't play it myself just took the size off Game Pass without double checking!

I'm getting the xbox on weds. Right just to make sure I'm doing this correct. I buy 3 years of live gold I then register these. Then I click on ultimate and they then automatically convert? I just want to make sure I don't screw this up!

I'm getting the xbox on weds. Right just to make sure I'm doing this correct. I buy 3 years of live gold I then register these. Then I click on ultimate and they then automatically convert? I just want to make sure I don't screw this up!
Yes, get 3 years of gold, then convert to Ultimate by either buying a month from on the xbox (may have an offer via that, ie £1 etc). Or buy a cheap weekly/monthly pass online and redeem that code.

I bought the series s this morning, I haven't set it up yet as I'm waiting until I get paid anytime after midnight and I'm going to buy 3years of gold and transfer it to ultimate.

My question is can I set it up now and then in the early hours of the morning get my codes I'm just worried that the £1 months trial may appear only once and I miss out on it if I set it up now

I bought the series s this morning, I haven't set it up yet as I'm waiting until I get paid anytime after midnight and I'm going to buy 3years of gold and transfer it to ultimate.

My question is can I set it up now and then in the early hours of the morning get my codes I'm just worried that the £1 months trial may appear only once and I miss out on it if I set it up

You can create a gamertag beforehand if you wish, you don't need to subscribe to anything at the time.

How you can hold off opening a new console I've no idea 😅

Do you use a vpn at all? You can buy xbox live gold subs for different countries and redeem them on your account.

I
Do you use a vpn at all? You can buy xbox live gold subs for different countries and redeem them on your account.

I use a vpn for you tube and tidal, however I'm a bit wary using it for the xbox with it bring new to me it's only money 😭

Fair do's, your still getting excellent value for money regardless 👌

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom