Question Series S - 4k output?

bellso

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I know the Series S is 1440p output, but does it allow option to select 4k in the display resolution settings?

I have a new Hisense that is deffo 4k60hz, yet the Series S (set up today) only let's me select 1080p and in the TV options is says the only option my TV can display is 'watching TV and movies in 4k 10-bit 24hz' All other options are crossed out.

Confused. All 3 of the Hisense hdmi pots support 4k 60hz, so not that, and using the supplied xbox cable. If I'm being thick, please let me know. And if the Series S doesnt support these options, why show them as available.....

Hmm it should do, do you have any other 4k devices? 4k player for example? Try the hdmi lead from that. Or maybe you need to enable a deep colour mode on the hdmi input you've connected it too

I have an Xbox X upstairs connected to an older 65in Hisense. That had to have the hdmi port enabled to show 4k.

Cant find the option on this new TV. Is the Hisense Roku 43 Inch R43B7120UK.

If I switch from auto to hdmi it now allows me to choose 1440p @ 60hz.

Should it let me choose 4k?? Confused. Com.

Nothing to do with swapping from an old original xbox to this one? Doesn't save the settings or something daft??

The Series S can output 4K no problem so sounds like a setting needs enabling on the TV somewhere.

Thanks, so not being dense. OK, shall leave it till tomoz whilst it's transferring games from HD and have a play. Had the TV about a month now and not found any options to enable anywhere. Know 4k/HDR works as pops up when Disney+ app is playing, but that's not through hdmi ports.

Shall try the hdmi cable from the upstairs X too.

Thanks, so not being dense. OK, shall leave it till tomoz whilst it's transferring games from HD and have a play. Had the TV about a month now and not found any options to enable anywhere. Know 4k/HDR works as pops up when Disney+ app is playing, but that's not through hdmi ports.

Shall try the hdmi cable from the upstairs X too.

Apps will trigger HDR automatically but normally the HDMI ports need to be enabled to accept such content however 4K should work regardless but then I have no experience with that brand.

Annnnnd it was the TV.......

Lots of digging and finally found an option that was ticked as auto. Needed changing to be 2.0 only
Problem solved. What a div.

Annnnnd it was the TV.......

Lots of digging and finally found an option that was ticked as auto. Needed changing to be 2.0 only
Problem solved. What a div.

Can I ask you what the TV quality is like? Thinking about getting one for my son to use with his Xbox Series X.

I'm not a huge gamer, but seems great to me at the price. You ain't gonna get 120fps without spending a fortune on a TV or going gaming monitor. I wanted something for kitchen TV viewing that can also play games in 4k. The Roku smart TV element is great too, all the big hitting streaming channels are there plus many more.

I'm not a huge gamer, but seems great to me at the price. You ain't gonna get 120fps without spending a fortune on a TV or going gaming monitor. I wanted something for kitchen TV viewing that can also play games in 4k. The Roku smart TV element is great too, all the big hitting streaming channels are there plus many more.

Thanks, I think he'll notice the difference... it's replacing an old Toshiba 32" 720p TV anyway, so getting 4K on this budget should be worth it.

This probably is understood, but the series S upscales the games from 1080 and does not play them in true 4k like the series X. However it does stream UHD material correctly in 4k from the streaming sites like Prime etc. I can't comment on Netflix as I don't have it. I have found it runs 4k material from You Tube far better than any source I have including my TVs App. The only source that seems to 'jump' occasionally is from the few UHD programmes on BBC iplayer. I don't know why it does this. Of course this is in Beta as far as the iplayer setting is concerned so perhaps it will be corrected in time. It took me a while to find the 4k enable setting in the Series S menu.

Last edited:
This probably is understood, but the series S upscales the games from 1080 and does not play them in true 4k like the series X.However it does stream UHD material correctly in 4k from the streaming sites like Prime etc. I can't comment on Netflix as I don't have it. I have found it runs 4k material from You Tube far better than any source I have including my TVs App. The only source that seems to 'jump' occasionally is from the few UHD programmes on BBC iplayer. I don't know why it does this. Of course this is in Beta as far as the iplayer setting is concerned so perhaps it will be corrected in time. It took me a while to find the 4k enable setting in the Series S menu.

The Series S can output games in native resolutions beyond 1080p, mostly 1440p but there are also native 1800p and 2160p games available.

The Series S can output games in native resolutions beyond 1080p, mostly 1440p but there are also native 1800p and 2160p games available.

True, but the question referred to 4K performance which has some limitations as far as full 4K games are concerned, and matching to particular TVs.

Cheers for the input, i do know the S can't game at 4k, ta.

I've actually just got a monitor too, attached to my racing cockpit to play ACC. Went for a 1440p monitor which works great - just wish ACC would get an update to play at better refresh rates.......

Now to see if there's a hdmi splitter to save me swapping from the tv to monitor!!

Cheers for the input, i do know the S can't game at 4k, ta.

I've actually just got a monitor too, attached to my racing cockpit to play ACC. Went for a 1440p monitor which works great - just wish ACC would get an update to play at better refresh rates.......

Now to see if there's a hdmi splitter to save me swapping from the tv to monitor!!

That's the thing though it can game at 4K but it will be dependent on the game in question, plenty don't run at 4K on the Series X either.

This was why I posted what I did above because statements I have seen in the past like "The Series X is 4K and the Series S is 1080p/1440p" don't really mean anything as both systems can run games a native 4K but you will obviously find more hitting that target on the more powerful system.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom