Series record on the Topfield 5800?

Kermit Power

Standard Member
Hi,

Quick couple of questions..

Firstly, does the Topfield 5800 support series recording?

Secondly, if it does, will it automatically remove it from the schedule once the end of the series is reached?

Thanks!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Quick couple of questions..

Firstly, does the Topfield 5800 support series recording?

Secondly, if it does, will it automatically remove it from the schedule once the end of the series is reached?

Thanks!
Yes it does support series recording. No freeview+/freesat+ pvr removes the schedule at the end of the series because the system does not have an end of series flag, so there is no way the stb can know it's the last episode. Most delete the schedule after it not being used for 13 weeks. This is the specified minimum time before series crids can be used again for a different series.

Kermit Power

Standard Member
Ah, thanks! That makes it clearer.

Now I've just got to decide, considering I'm going into a CRT TV via a Yamaha amp whether there's any benefit in the 5810 rather than the 5800.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Ah, thanks! That makes it clearer.

Now I've just got to decide, considering I'm going into a CRT TV via a Yamaha amp whether there's any benefit in the 5810 rather than the 5800.

There's no real benefit even with a HD TV. The scalers only average, any decent TV will make a better job of the scaling.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hmm. So is there anything other than the larger hard drive to justify the price of the 5810 vs the 5800?

In my humble opinion no. For many the 5800 modulator is more usefull than the hdmi on 5810. It's pretty pointless fitting hdmi to a SD stb unless you are going to use a high performance scaler (ie better than the TV's) which would make it a very expensive item. It might be usefull if you have a el cheapo HD TV (Tesco special) :D

nwhitfield

Also, if you go for the 5800, you have the choice of either the native series link firmware, or an older (but in some ways more stable) firmware, with add-ons that will do series record.

For the 5810, the only firmwares available are ones with native series link.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom