Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West June 30th

The Limey

7843i.jpg

Super news - Paramount France have announced the release of perhaps Sergio Leone's greatest film - Once Upon A Time In The West on BD on the 30th of June. This information has been announced via the French magazine "Les Années Laser" in its March 2011 edition on page 18. Paramount France's Director Of Marketing has released this great piece of news in an interview with the magazine. No listings as yet on Amazon-fr but I will definitely be buying this one on Day One...

Also check out this link:
Once Upon A Time in the West (Sergio Leone) - Blu-ray Forum

AgentCool

Given this film has some of the best cinematography in film history, a Blu-ray release can't come soon enough!

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Fantastic news, Leone's best and one of the best Scores in Cinema history. Bronson kicks ass, Love it. Thanks for posting.

The Limey

This is one of my very favourite films - period. I was fortunate enough to see that restored 70mm print at the Empire Leicester Square in the 1980s.
To date this remains my very favourite theatrical viewing. Incredible picture and that score has never sounded as good as when this played back in 6 Track Magnetic Stereo in that cinema. Hopefully the upcoming BD's DTS-HD Master track can come close to matching that sublime audio experience....

Nick 81

**Jumps up and down like an 8 year old**

Fantastic news! A film of epic proportions.
  • Tough guy lead - check :cool:
  • haunting atmospheric score - check :thumbsup:
  • buxom beauty - check :D :smashin: :clap:
A must have for me.

What is Paramount's reputation like when it comes to the quality of their releases/transfers?

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Been hoping for this! :thumbsup: :D :smashin:

Fantastic film.

True Grit? (old or new one) Pah!! Watch a real classic!

Wow theres not too many films I badly want either unreleased or unannounced now! :)

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Same here Jim, My wishlist is getting smaller every week with the likes of these upcoming

Taxi Driver
The Conversation
OUATITW
Midnight Cowboy
Don't Look Now
Rolling Thunder
Tenebrae
The Beyond
Star Wars

Just to name a few, Still awaiting the announcement of just one more though...:boring:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
About bloody time!!

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Same here Jim, My wishlist is getting smaller every week with the likes of these upcoming

Taxi Driver
The Conversation
OUATITW
Midnight Cowboy
Don't Look Now
Rolling Thunder
Tenebrae
The Beyond
Star Wars

Just to name a few, Still awaiting the announcement of just one more though...:boring:

The only film I can think of off the top of my head that I badly want and hasnt been announced or even rumoured on blu is Chinatown I think.

Theres others of course but Chinatown is the only one unannounced in my top 20 all time I think.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
The only film I can think of off the top of my head that I badly want and hasnt been announced or even rumoured on blu is Chinatown I think.

Theres others of course but Chinatown is the only one unannounced in my top 20 all time I think.

Chinatown was 'rumoured' for release in 2010 (see 25th June entry):

The Digital Bits Rumor Mill - Current Posts

If you want some encouraging news, almost every other rumour on that page has turned out to be accurate.

So here's hoping it's just delayed.

Steve W

My wants list is so enormous, what has been announced and released on Blu so far only just scratches the surface. All of the Hitchcock films alone that haven't been released yet and which I would like makes up around 20 films alone. Several of my favourite directors like John Cassavetes, Douglas Sirk, RW Fassbinder and Billy Wilder haven't had a single title released yet.

skull

Well if they put the same effort into the blu ray as they did with dvd this should look and sound amazing .

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Well if they put the same effort into the blu ray as they did with dvd this should look and sound amazing .

hmmm that reminds me...must sell the digipak dvd while its still worth something! I hope the blu is as well packaged as this dvd was but the transfer is the main thing of course! I always thought the DVD looked excellent given the age etc.

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
My wants list is so enormous, what has been announced and released on Blu so far only just scratches the surface. All of the Hitchcock films alone that haven't been released yet and which I would like makes up around 20 films alone. Several of my favourite directors like John Cassavetes, Douglas Sirk, RW Fassbinder and Billy Wilder haven't had a single title released yet.

I would be amazed if The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie ever makes it to Blu, Hope so though.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
**Jumps up and down like an 8 year old**

Fantastic news! A film of epic proportions.
  • Tough guy lead - check :cool:
  • haunting atmospheric score - check :thumbsup:
  • buxom beauty - check :D :smashin: :clap:
A must have for me.

What is Paramount's reputation like when it comes to the quality of their releases/transfers?

:D

• No dialogue at all for the first 20 odd minutes - check :cool: (this will confuse anyone reading who hasnt seen it!)
  • Charles Bronson in easily his best role - check :cool:
  • Henry Fonda just being amazingly eeevil (and cool) - check :cool:
  • Massive close-ups - check :cool:
  • One of the best soundtracks of all time no question - check :cool:
  • Mr Choo Choo - check :D

I would be amazed if The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie ever makes it to Blu, Hope so though.

I wouldn't be that amazed. Both Criterion and Optimum brought out excellent DVD box sets of some Cassavetes' best known work, including The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie not too long ago. I'm pretty sure they have been struck from HD sources because they already look quite impressive on DVD.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR