Serenity - US v UK Versions

Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I remember that when the excellent Serenity got a UK HD DVD release the film was re-encoded from the original US version. Does anyone have any opinion on whether the UK version is an improvement over the (IMHO) superb US one?

I have purchased a new HD DVD player and thus am entitled to the free disc offer. As this is one of titles, I was wondering whether to 'upgrade'?

I remember that when the excellent Serenity got a UK HD DVD release the film was re-encoded from the original US version. Does anyone have any opinion on whether the UK version is an improvement over the (IMHO) superb US one?

I have purchased a new HD DVD player and thus am entitled to the free disc offer. As this is one of titles, I was wondering whether to 'upgrade'?

DVD Times have an opinion that the UK version is even better:

"The US release, to me, looked absolutely perfect. Sharp as a tack, beautifully grainy, rich colours and contrast, and not a smidgen of edge enhancement on display. The UK release is... more perfect, if that's possible."

Hi rasczak

Read some where that there was no difference in the pq between the us version and the uk..have look here http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=9308

jon

Is Serenity a good movie? I bought it a year ago when I first got my player and haven't got around to watching it yet - still in cellophane.

Might watch this weekend if any good (although Blade Runner turned up yesterday :D)

Is Serenity a good movie? I bought it a year ago when I first got my player and haven't got around to watching it yet - still in cellophane.

Might watch this weekend if any good (although Blade Runner turned up yesterday :D)

Thats abit of a bugger choices:D

jon

Serenity is just OK...

IMHO it's a very good movie - a decent SciFi flick. Obviously it extends from the Firefly TV series (although it does work as a standalone movie) - so if you liked that then you will like this.

Firefly is now a stupidly cheap DVD boxset. You should really watch it first otherwise it will be like watching 'Star Wars - Return of the Jedi' and thinking well that was a great film but who was that small green puppet who died a third of the way into the film?

Firefly is now a stupidly cheap DVD boxset. You should really watch it first otherwise it will be like watching 'Star Wars - Return of the Jedi' and thinking well that was a great film but who was that small green puppet who died a third of the way into the film?

I'm confused.. The DVD boxset includes Serenity Part 1 and 2 as the first two episodes on disc 1. Surely they are the movie cut into two parts, and surely they come before Firefly??? But you say.. watch Firefly first?

I'm confused.. The DVD boxset includes Serenity Part 1 and 2 as the first two episodes on disc 1. Surely they are the movie cut into two parts, and surely they come before Firefly??? But you say.. watch Firefly first?

Yep the Boxset does have the first episode of Disk 1 called Serenity 1 and 2. It's an extended opening episode. After that is The Train Job etc. However the film that carries on from the series is also called 'Serenity'.

The film takes place around two months after the events of the final episode and focuses on the character arcs of River and her involvement with the Alliance, and Mal. As Whedon stated, the film is "Mal's story as told by River."

Just to confuse things even more Fox showed the TV episodes out of sequence (The Train Job was shown first.). The box set shows them in the intended order. So watch the boxset in order then watch the film.

Wikipedia explains the chaos Fox caused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

Yep the Boxset does have the first episode of Disk 1 called Serenity 1 and 2. It's an extended opening episode. After that is The Train Job etc. However the film that carries on from the series is also called 'Serenity'.

The film takes place around two months after the events of the final episode and focuses on the character arcs of River and her involvement with the Alliance, and Mal. As Whedon stated, the film is "Mal's story as told by River."

Just to confuse things even more Fox showed the TV episodes out of sequence (The Train Job was shown first.). The box set shows them in the intended order. So watch the boxset in order then watch the film.

Wikipedia explains the chaos Fox caused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

Lol... what confusion, but the worst thing is that I have had the film all this time, and never watched it, because I thought it was the two parter which I also have in the boxset!!! :D

Maybe that is why I said it is just OK!!! :D:D:D

I watched Serenity first, then got the Firefly box set for cheap. Watched that, then went back to watch the film "Serenity" again and it had a whole new dimension to it, as you learn so much more about the characters and the world they live in. I really liked the western meets sci-fi take on the whole thing!

DVD Times have an opinion that the UK version is even better:

"The US release, to me, looked absolutely perfect. Sharp as a tack, beautifully grainy, rich colours and contrast, and not a smidgen of edge enhancement on display. The UK release is... more perfect, if that's possible."

Glad I have the UK version :D

IMHO it's a very good movie - a decent SciFi flick. Obviously it extends from the Firefly TV series (although it does work as a standalone movie) - so if you liked that then you will like this.

Thanks guys. I had no idea it followed on from Firefly. looks like I'll get the DVD boxset and watch that first as I've not seen it.

so whats the correct order? I've recorded Firefly from scifi channel (they reran it over Christmas) and would like to watch it properly

I think Serenity is a cracking movie. Its a simple enough tale but it has a good 'feel' about it which is too often lacking in modern action movies.

so whats the correct order? I've recorded Firefly from scifi channel (they reran it over Christmas) and would like to watch it properly

I think Serenity is a cracking movie. Its a simple enough tale but it has a good 'feel' about it which is too often lacking in modern action movies.

The DVD has them in the correct order. Just look at the episode list here, for example.

According to Wiki the entire Firefly series has been remastered in HD to be shown on Universal's HD channel in the US! :thumbsup:

I have both the US and the UK disc and think the UK disc looks a touch sharper / better. Not huge but noticable I think.

I have both the US and the UK disc and think the UK disc looks a touch sharper / better. Not huge but noticable I think.
Cheers Nic - I've ordered the disc :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom