• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Serenity sub test please :)

PenguinWithHair

Hey everyone,

Just curious, I just wanted to see if I could compair notes with anyone on the opening few seconds of the serenity dvd. It makes my poor little MS 309i rattle in quite an unflattering way - we're talking loud but not uncomfortable listening level here, it did the same thing with the two cheaper subs I had previous so I don't think it's a fault. Does anyone else with better/worse subs get this?

Regards,

Jim.

Morb

Let me fire up the system and have a listen.

Ok just had a listen and the room went mental but the sub was fine. Probably just pushing your sub a bit to far would probably need to run rew for sweeps to see the real picture or wait for someone with the same sub to compare against. I listened with the amp set to -9db.

Last edited:

PenguinWithHair

Thanks Morb :) What format were you using by the way?

I'm literally talking the very opening few seconds. Such a good film though, and a really good audio track if you ask me.

I don't feel the slightest bit bad as I'm sure your sub is quite a bit better than mine :)

Anyone with a 309i?

Morb

Was just on DVD through my 360 as it was on at the time and quicker to get going.

Yes the opening is very explosive :devil: and a great start to a top film.

If your using your sub within its limits and it doesn't have any faults it might simply be a room problem. Have you had any other issues with any other films? If the sub is fine you should look at the setup guides and think about investing in a SPL meter and downloading REW then you could see if you have any room issues etc.

Not sure if my sub is better from actual first hand experience as this is the only sub i have owned but i love it and i can't see me getting anything better for a long time. I hope you do sort you issues out and can get a big :D but be careful bass is addictive.

PenguinWithHair

Hey, thanks for your reply. I was using the dvd through my xbox too (should give my hd dvd version a go, duh!)

Mostly I'm pretty happy with my set up anyway to be honest, if I were to turn it down I don't get said rattle, which I think is the actual driver reaching its limits - like you say.

It's just odd, because it's only really serenity, and one or two snippets from other films that make it do it - and we're not really talking really loud levels here. My sub is completely fine with most films I've watched. I've been pondering getting another matching sub and running them both at half the level my current one is at which would hopefully help.

As for my room, running test tones showed there seems quite a bit of boom around 44 to 54hz, with a peak at about 49hz which I've tried to tame with the subs notch filter, I should play with that a bit more I think... That wasn't using a SPL meter/REW though, that was just a little microphone at listening position with a level read out on my computer.

I was just hoping to see what other people come up with on here :)

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
By filter, do you mean the crossover, because that wouldnt take a peak. The only thing that would is a built in PEQ. Its worth remembering though that a peak caused by the room doesnt tax your sub any more than it normally would, so you dont need to worry about that peak causing the rattle.

Out of interest though, with no SPL meter of measuring software, how did you come to the conclusion you have a peak :confused:

PenguinWithHair

Hey Moonfly, thanks for your input. I wasn't talking about the crossover, on the sub that's on max. I was talking about the built in variable notch filter which lets you make one eq cut along your chosen frequency.

It wouldn't tax the sub sure, but it's quite uncomfortable to listen to when ever those frequencies are predominant with out an eq cut there.

I am fairly confident in saying the frequencies causing the rattling sound I'm talking about are lower than 44hz anyway.

I used a cheap microphone plugged into my computer, which was giving me a read out of what levels it was receiving, from there I ran test tones noting how loud the microphone reads them. Not the best technique I'm sure but seem to work well enough.

It's not like one peak at 49hz, it's more like a gradual hump starting from 44hz and then cooling off at 54hz with it's highest point being 49hz. (Not sure if that's what you thought anyway)

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
I guess that method is better than nothing, and its nice to see some EQ built into the sub. If it is the driver bottoming out (not uncommon) then lower frequencies are the culprits as they force the driver to move more. All you can really do is be careful, or my proffered solution, UPGRADE :clap: :D :smashin:

PenguinWithHair

Hey, I have thought about upgrading as I'm sure we all do :) Just for reference incase you didn't catch it above it's a Mordaunt short 309i I'm using here.

Like I've mentioned before I've been pondering a second 309i and running them both at half the level I'm running mine on at the moment - which should take a bit of stress of the drivers/amps. Quite a bit of hassle though, even though it only really stands to give me 'more of the same' I would like to think it'd probably do a good job at filling the room...more, at higher listening levels. Probably won't though but it's got me having a glance at the classified adds every now and then :)

Again folks, anyone with a MS 309i want to compaire notes? :)

mikelj

Hey, I have thought about upgrading as I'm sure we all do :) Just for reference incase you didn't catch it above it's a Mordaunt short 309i I'm using here.

Like I've mentioned before I've been pondering a second 309i and running them both at half the level I'm running mine on at the moment - which should take a bit of stress of the drivers/amps. Quite a bit of hassle though, even though it only really stands to give me 'more of the same' I would like to think it'd probably do a good job at filling the room...more, at higher listening levels. Probably won't though but it's got me having a glance at the classified adds every now and then :)

Again folks, anyone with a MS 309i want to compaire notes? :)

I'm no expert, but I believe that two subs doen't equal twice the SPL (although stacking them on top of each other does increases SPL but nowhere near double).

I have an XLS200 and the only trouble with the Serenity opening scene is that the rumble of the ship leaving Earth That Was makes my double doors into the dining room rattle.

PenguinWithHair

I'm no expert, but I believe that two subs doen't equal twice the SPL (although stacking them on top of each other does increases SPL but nowhere near double).

I have an XLS200 and the only trouble with the Serenity opening scene is that the rumble of the ship leaving Earth That Was makes my double doors into the dining room rattle.

Hey, thanks for the input. I guess the only way I'd really know is to try it out, doubt I will though as it's probably more hassle than it's worth - plus I'm pretty happy with my set up anyway.

I've considered a XLS200 as a pretty solid looking upgrade path for a bit, but can't really justify it just yet. Thanks again.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
FYI, adding another sub will increase output by up to +6db. Stacking them will make them act like the same sub in a dual driver design. If you spread them out in your room, and use manual EQ'ing to set them properly, you will get the best use of two subs. This path is a time consuming one though :lesson:

PenguinWithHair

Hey, I'm sure there are more than alot of variables to consider, as interesting as I find it (without wanting to sound rude) I didn't make this thread to talk about dual sub setups - my fault for bringing it up, sorry.

Anyone got any suggestions for a better thread title to get people to actually test their subs with their serenity dvds..?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Hey, I'm sure there are more than alot of variables to consider, as interesting as I find it (without wanting to sound rude) I didn't make this thread to talk about dual sub setups - my fault for bringing it up, sorry.

Anyone got any suggestions for a better thread title to get people to actually test their subs with their serenity dvds..?

Shall I change the title to something like "hot chicks naked" ? :D

Ii have the HD DVD that I could test out but I am sure the Ultra will handle with ease :(

Will let you know either way later :smashin:

PenguinWithHair

Shall I change the title to something like "hot chicks naked" ? :D

Ii have the HD DVD that I could test out but I am sure the Ultra will handle with ease :(

Will let you know either way later :smashin:

Thanks, I'm sure you're right but let me know anyhow :)

Title suggestion sounds good, although it should incorperate av gear in at least some vague way. Maybe something like "hot naked chicks with their 13" ultras!"or "hot naked chicks find their resonating frequency" haha, too strong..?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Tried it at -10db and it was fine - assuming you mean the Universal logo approaching the screen and the impacts on Earth ?

It is quite low though, and had both doors rattling :devil:

PenguinWithHair

Thanks for trying to out for me. That sounds like it yea, although I think those other low pitch pop sounds after the Universal titles are supposed to be ships leaving earth's atmosphere.

I loved the style of special effect scenes in space in the firefly series, particually that they were always silent, or music only. There's a specific style it's called but I can't remember, I think it was done by the same company that did the CG scenes of the new series of battlestar. Anyway my point being they didn't seem to keep the silent space CG scenes in serenity which is a shame, still loved the film though.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser

No problem, my point really was that simply adding another sub is unlikely to cure a serious case of hitting your subs limits, and if it were its not an easy thing to get right.

In short, to cure the issue, one better sub is more preferable. I havent seen this film though, so cant really relate that well anyway :(

PenguinWithHair

No problem, my point really was that simply adding another sub is unlikely to cure a serious case of hitting your subs limits, and if it were its not an easy thing to get right.

In short, to cure the issue, one better sub is more preferable. I havent seen this film though, so cant really relate that well anyway :(

Hey, thans again for your input. I'm sorry that probably did come off as being pretty obnoxious, and I didn't mean to disregard what you were saying. I guess you've pretty strongly reinforced my previous feelings of it very likely being more hassle than it's worth :)

In regards to a subs limits though, I find interesting why you don't have the option to voluntarily discard low frequencies (relative to the subs performance) in order to reduce the likely hood you're going to bottom out the driver which is attempting to reproduce them. Maybe thats a topic for another thread :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom