Serenity - Go see this film!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Went to a daytime screening of Joss Whedon's superb film "Serenity", which continues the story from the short-lived TV series "Firefly" yesterday. All I can say is this...

GO SEE THIS FILM NOW!!!!! :clap:

It's awesome in pretty much every aspect! CGI that actually doesn't look like CGI! Actors who can act. A script full of hilarious and savage one-liners; plus a story that makes sense, and some genuinely briliant scares!

If you haven't seen the series, get it now, watch it, and then go see the film tout suite! :lesson: If you have seen the series, go and see the film now, because it continues pretty much from the very end of the final episode of the series!

Just one warning - fans of the show should be prepared for some truly horrific plot scares! I guarantee that there are at least 2 scenes that will have fans on the edge of their seats, because only Joss Whedon could pull them off without a hint of warning - and when he does drop them on you, boy are you going to be shocked!!

Oh, and the final 30 minutes is just jaw-dropping! :clap:

Pooch

P.S. A couple of issues I hope get corrected for the DVD:
1) That the print's contrast is increased, as it seemed to be very, very dark on the print I saw.
2) Sometimes the dialogue rattles along so fast, and is mixed so loudly with the background sound FX, that you can't always hear it clearly.
I so hope this gets a DTS soundtrack when it comes out next year on DVD! Please release it, with tons of extras, lots of deleted scenes, a host of bloopers, a decent set of audio commentaries, and couple it with the entire TV series too! :lease: Mr Whedon, sir! I'll be a Browncoat for ever!

I've heard good things about this too Pooch. I think I'll watch Firefly first though. Am I right in saying that there was only one season of this?

Cheers, watching it sunday. I cant wait. Let you know what i think then.

Tejstar said:
I've heard good things about this too Pooch. I think I'll watch Firefly first though. Am I right in saying that there was only one season of this?

Yes :)

pooch - thanks for your too tempting revue :D

credit card has taken another battering as i've just HAD TO order the firefly series to get in the mood :eek:

Will i be able to pick up the story without seeing the series? As i plan to go see this prob on wednesday and don't have time to buy the seires and watch all the eps

Tejstar said:

Only the one series. HMV have it in their sale for £17.99, well worth it :thumbsup:

hillster said:
Only the one series. HMV have it in their sale for £17.99, well worth it :thumbsup:

Thanks for the headsup, it's £26.99 at amazon!

also £17.99 at cd wow - just ordered

hmv site shows it reduced to £24.99 :confused:

Only heard about Firefly a week ago, I watched the entire series in 2 days, and now I'm hooked. :D

Watching Serenity soon, Kaylee rocks. ;)

I was blown away by Serenity.

Although I watched most episodes of Firefly I wasn't really that taken by the TV series... for some reason I just didn't connect with it as I did with other science fiction shows.

Serenity, however, is amazing. I've been trying to recall the last film that left me as energized or enthused about science fiction as a genre, and I reckon that I'd have to go back to perhaps Terminator 2 or even the first couple of Star Wars films. Yes, Serenity really is that good.

It's a confident, ballsy swashbuckling romp. Perfect pacing, smart humour, rich characterization, amazing action, truly genuine thrills and spills, and a really involving story - it delivers on all counts, and does it with style and humility.

I've been growing tired and disillusioned with modern cinema in recent years, wondering if the quality of the films was perhaps just as good as it had ever been and it was down to me that they no longer seemed to reward and satisfy as they once did. However, Serenity has almost single-handedly restored my faith and renewed my enthusiasm.

I'm incredibly glad that I took a chance on Serenity and discovered something really special. Although I expect it to be discovered in a big way via the DVD rental market Serenity is a big screen film, and demands to be seen in a cinema. I can't recommend it highly enough.

The missus won tickets to the premiere in London (red carpet and all that) and she said it was excellent.

She took her friend over me though :(

Just back from seeing it. Suffice to say the original post is 100% accurate. My girlfriend, who I only managed to get to watch the series this week, was in tears. Great film. Highly recommended.

Hi,

Will18 said:
Will i be able to pick up the story without seeing the series? As i plan to go see this prob on wednesday and don't have time to buy the seires and watch all the eps

Unlikely Will. The film continues directly from the end of the final episode of the series, so it's probably not going to make sense to you!

I'm glad everyone is as enthused about this film, as me! :clap:

And, yes, alas there was only one season of the show made. Fox cancelled it! :thumbsdow Morons, that they are! :rolleyes:

Pooch

Saw this film last night. Tried to watch firefly before, only got halfway through the first episode and had to be shaken from a coma.

Might try it again though, as I thought this film was superb! :thumbsup:

samjet said:
also £17.99 at cd wow - just ordered

hmv site shows it reduced to £24.99 :confused:

The £17.99 was instore, in the Oracle Reading

PoochJD said:
Unlikely Will. The film continues directly from the end of the final episode of the series, so it's probably not going to make sense to you!
This isn't true at all - the movie's entirely self contained.

You'd probably gain more from the experience if you know the backstory, but the film works fine on its own.

The film will work on it's own, but some aspects won't. Example: You won't have a clue who Shepard is, as he just arrives in the mix halfway through the film. You won't have any clue as to the history between any of the characters, and this would take away from any emotional impact the story could have.

I would highly recommend seeing the series beforehand as it will heighten your enjoyment of the film by leaps and bounds.

chrislad said:
The film will work on it's own, but some aspects won't. Example: You won't have a clue who Shepard is, as he just arrives in the mix halfway through the film.
I can't help but feel that you're stuck looking at this from the perspective of someone who has seen the series.

Sure, you don't know who Book is when he arrives in the film, but you do quickly come to understand that this is someone who has a history with the other characters, and is their friend and ally. That's really all you need to know about him in the context of the film alone for the character to serve his purpose.

You won't have any clue as to the history between any of the characters, and this would take away from any emotional impact the story could have.
Take away "any" emotional impact? No way. It's as if you're suggesting that there is absolutely no establishment of the characters and their relationships with each other in Serenity - there's oodles. Many films do this heavy handidly, but with Serenity it's done cleverly and subtly by the way they very naturally interact with each other in the course of the unfolding events.

Plenty of films pick up at a point in the lives of characters who have loads of history we haven't seen. You might as well argue that you can't watch Star Wars Episode IV before seeing the prequels because you won't understand the relevance of Obi-Wan Kenobi's fateful lightsabre duel with Darth Vader.

However, that being said, I would encourage people to watch Firefly first if they get the chance, but not at the expense of missing the chance to see this magnificent film unfold on the big screen.

I've never been in a cinema with so many geeks. Seriously nerdy loserville last night. Even lord of the rings wasn't as bad as this! :laugh:

Sorry, didnt like it at all.

I have never seen Firefly and had no idea that this film came from that series. I went with 4 people in the same situation and there was not one stage of the film I thought I was missing something.
A Great film which YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE SEEEN FIREFLY to follow or enjoy and anyone who says different is talking nonsense.
A great big :smashin: from me!

Desk said:
Plenty of films pick up at a point in the lives of characters who have loads of history we haven't seen. You might as well argue that you can't watch Star Wars Episode IV before seeing the prequels because you won't understand the relevance of Obi-Wan Kenobi's fateful lightsabre duel with Darth Vader.

However, that being said, I would encourage people to watch Firefly first if they get the chance, but not at the expense of missing the chance to see this magnificent film unfold on the big screen.

Sure it does. Vader killed 'Anakin' who was Obi-Wan's friend. That's enough of a reason. While the prequels expand on that reason, there's still enough of one there though.

I said Serenity would work on it's own, but some aspects would be a bit unclear if you hadn't seen the series. Which is true.

Went to see it yesterday - I know its sad, but I was soooooooo excited, as it was the first "new" Joss Whedon output in quite a while !

I was absolutely blown away - best film I've seen in a long, long time. Agree with all the points Pooch made, and I would recommend the film to anyone who even remotely likes the genre.

Having seen the series helps, but is not critical.

Only downside was there were only about 30 ofm us in the cinema - we need more people to see it to make sure Serenity II happens ! Looks like I'll have to go see it again to do my bit :D

Ian.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom