September 20 - Steve Withers tells BBC World News about PicturePerfect

GGTVBD

Phil Hinton said:
Suggests to me that you think the information is wrong.

Again, suggests that you think the information about or contained in the campaign and Steve's interview is wrong. I'm not arguing or attacking you, I am pulling up comments that you are making that are in my opinion trying to suggest the information and Steve is misleading. I welcome feedback which is constructive. I would suggest that your feedback, if it was genuine, could have been better conveyed than what you posted, which leads people to see it as a put down. Again, the information in the interview has to be broad and to the point we are trying to make, in two minutes of screen time. I think Steve did that very well and got the message out there.
I see nothing to apologise about.
Steve's quote was wrong - not all manufacturers ship their TVs in dynamic mode. Although I fully appreciate the time constraints he had here. I'm curious to see which manufacturers are shipping their sets in dynamic mode - hence my comment.

As far as I'm concerned, the campaign is a great idea. And I'm more than happy to give feedback from my 30 years in the trade, seeing as many manufacturers sets as I do on a daily basis. But not if its seen to be self serving. Because it really isn't. What I can assure you is that any input or feedback I give this forum is 100% correct and can be backed up.

Hope I've clarified my point of view for you and all who read this.

Good luck with the Picture Perfect campaign.

Last edited:

GGTVBD

Repaired a Samsung LE37C550J1W this morning, which is less than 2 years old. The repair required a factory default.

Once done and a 'plug and play' (auto-tune) had been done, the settings were as per the attached picture. Picture mode was set to standard, not dynamic. When in dynamic mode, the backlight is set to 20 (from 14), sharpness and colour are increased to 55 from 45. Other than that, the settings are the same.

Pretty awful picture on either setting to be fair, something the Picture Perfect campaign would help with!

Attachments

Last edited:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Picture mode was set to standard, not dynamic.
Perhaps, but that's not the point.
We can't possibly cover absolutely every single TV from every single manufacturer in a sound bite.
Some TVs ship in better modes than others. A lot of TVs don't have a 'Dynamic' mode, but theirs is called 'Vivid'. Some TVs ship in Standard mode.

If you get too hung up on the trivial details, you're not going to be able to get the message across. I know this because it's been my job to make sure that we strike the best compromise between a message which the majority of people will both understand and absorb (without getting bored or bogged down in detail) and accuracy.
I think it's more important to convey the message than be 100% accurate because at the end of the day the message is important and valid.

So no, not all TVs ship in dynamic mode. But then Steve didn't have the time to list all the modes from all the manufacturers, so I'm 100% happy with the message he gave.

GGTVBD

A fair and reasoned point Stuart, thank you.

I'd be more than happy to feedback on every set which comes through the workshop if you'd find that helpful.

Gareth.

IWC Dopplel

Well done indeed :smashin:

MarkyMark70

Just seen the video this afternoon via the homepage... great job!

I remember the first time a friend of mine was so pleased when we played with his settings using the simple THX tools found on the Star Wars DVDs.

The Picture Perfect Campaign is a superb idea! Best wishes with the promotion.

GGTVBD

GGTVBD said:
A fair and reasoned point Stuart, thank you.

I'd be more than happy to feedback on every set which comes through the workshop if you'd find that helpful.

Gareth.
No?

Nick Odgers

When I first started work I use to stay at different places, lodging it was called - I would sit there looking at their crt televisions and wonder why don`t they adjust the picture, faces were red, contrast was too high. It is still the same now, modern televisions can give an incredible picture if correctly set up, I don`t understand how people can watch a television which has not been adjusted properly.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Nice one chaps and great work Steve, not easy to talk on TV, great job.
As for comments about it not being suitable, well do we just want bad news all the time? The BBC was partly setup to inform people and this is information that I think people will find useful.

Oh and yes, getting on click would be a good idea.

fatal-infection

i think avforums should have its own tv show anyway! well done Steve. oh and buy the way, its because of avforums im going to get my next tv calibrated for the first time ever in my life, so you have at least one believer!.
I can highly recommend Steve. He calibrated my tv for me some months ago and after spending £1700 on the tv the calibration was the best £ per pixel spent. I almost sent my tv back as the out of the box settings looked poor in my living room, the calibration made a massive improvement! I support the campaign 100%.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: