1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seperates or DAV, Too Cheap

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dave P2001, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Dave P2001

Dave P2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just wondering what anyone thinks of these choices as a first system.

1. Seperates
    Pioneer SV50 (Speaker Package) €349.99
    Pioneer VSXC100 (Amp) €399.99
    Pioneer DV350 (Multi-region) €239.99 all Richersounds

2. Sony DAV S550 €790 or + €30 to have it multi region voiding sony warranty by guaranteed by RS.

3. Sony DAV s880 €990 RS

I know that seperates are allways better but in the end I’ll probally end up getting a DAV as i’m short of space and I’m considering the 880 over the 550 as it will save me buying stands

One more thing, everyone else I’ve talked to is quoting approx €150 to multi-region DAV 550 but done by sony tech at not voiding sony warranty.
    Also anyone else wants min €850 for DAV S550 and €1150 fpr DAV S880, how can RS be so much cheaper. All the other dealers couldn’t believe the prices and didn’t think I’d get good service.

I’d appreciate any advice or comments on any of the above.
    Thanks in advance,
    David

2. Dave P2001

Dave P2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Anyone out there, surely someone has some comment

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    May be you should look beyond RS and have a search for DAV on the forum there you will see all of the following covered in depth
    I would stick to separates for three reasons.
    1:Upgrade without binning the rest of the system!
    2:Have Stereo source and surround from the same setup ie sky,Console,CD, Radio.
    3:get the best of what you you can for your money.
    I dont beleive that a marketing exectutive in Japan/knows what my ears want to hear. So i go for the best i can afford. The best thing you can do is listen to a DAV and then listen to a separate system costing 10% less add the flexibility (DAV are very short of inputs) and then decide. And do not pick up an RS leaflet or visit the website for a week go to a couple of department stores independant Hi-Fi AV retailers then go back to RS and see what you think.

Assuming you dont already have a DVD player why not buy a decent one and enjoy that for 6 months before adding the rest, give your wallet time to recover and make for better value long term.

4. Dave P2001

Dave P2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply.

The main thing i'm looking for is something more than nicam stereo. I had a mono tv until a couple of years ago then i upgraded to a sony kv32fx60 which i'm glad I bought as the 100Hz picture quality from sky is unbelievable and the stereo was also a big change.

I'm not pushed about a DVD but obviously thats the only source for 5.1 so I may as well get one.

Again my main reason for looking at the DAV over seperates is space considerations.

David

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HOw small is your room Fully fledged separates are no bigger than a VCR and a lot are smaller Have alook at the lifestyle side of separtes Teac 350/550 systems Pioneer Slimline range DV454 €279.95 and VSXC-100 EU €399.99 will take up hardly anymore space but much better flexibility
    Also look at DENON AVF100 DVD HOME CINEMA SYSTEM at superfi, look at the exchange rates as you may do better buying in the UK or European mainland