1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seperates Or All In One ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by SGDVD, Nov 8, 2003.

1. SGDVD

SGDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a kenwood krfv5050 rec/amp dd 5.1 & dts, eltax stargate speaker & sub kit, jvc dvd player.

i have also just purchased an all in one panasonic sc-mt1 and just wanted to know which setup would you say is probably the best.

after listening to both this is my verdict:

The seperates is very loud but has a too much bass pumping through the speakers (whether the sub is on or off). i have tried to turn the treble up and bass down to get all bass to pump through subwoofer.

The all in one has a no bass at all through speakers but lacks the bass from sub, and the sub can't be adjusted at the back unlike the seperates sub.

so to me seperates has too much bass & all in one has too little i think when compared to the seperates.

it is setup in a small 3m x 3.5m room, because the two setups sound totally different can any one let me know which kit sounds the way it is supposed too: the seperates or the all in one?

also does anyone else have the panasonic sc-mt1 setup with a projector ? if so is it loud enough to use with a projector.

please reply, thanks.

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :lesson: There's the key! The one whose sound you prefer :)

Your text gives the impression that both systems are in need of some attention regarding their setup.

Although I'd love to take the separates route, financial and spacial considerations forced me to finally choose the all-in-one solution, in the form of a Pioneer DCS-303.

Being in a room of similar dimensions to your own (three by three metre), I was wary of the larger box setup being (for instance) overbearing and bass-heavy in such a confined space, with no room to 'breathe'. Although the all-in-one output has its shortcomings and I'd still love that big-box option, I and my separates-owning brother and friend, think that I took the right option. <mumbles> Until I get those £££! <//mumbles> :D

As I have posted elsewhere, experimentation with sub placement has been particularly important for me. A turn-around of the room's contents brought the opportunity to play with placement a little and the result that an already powerful sub became totally unwieldy. At first use, I'd already turned the sub level down and had some idea of what it was - ahem - capable of; but this was ridiculous... though my younger brother would like it! :laugh:

In my experience, bass and treble can vary tremendously from source to source with one source being comfortable, whilst another throws out waaaay to much 'boom' or another, uncomfortable brightness N.B. when at high volumes, that is. 'Problems' are exacerbated by the fact that I really like 'big box' sound (particularly noticeable with the centre speaker) and I do usually have a 'happy medium' in the setup; but a little tampering is occasionally required :laugh:

We're nearing the close!

With the all-in-one at least, are there not any channel, bass and treble settings? My Pioneer has those, in addition to a 'bass mode' and a few DSP options that can all help to tailor the sound to your liking. Having used (er... played with! :laugh: ) a couple of separates systems, I'd have thought you could find plenty of similar options. Failing reading the manual, I'm sure you'll get some help and pointers, should you ask for advice in this regard.

Hope there's something in there of value! :rotfl:

3. SGDVD

SGDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers andy572 for reply.

i havew tweaked around with kenwood amp as much as possible but not too much with all in one system as it has been put away back in the box till i get a projector.

cheers.