Seperate Speaker system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by david230, Aug 20, 2006.

1. david230

david230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all,

I am currently using a pair of Monitor audio Silver S8's which I am very happy with for music, which is all I intend to use them for. I dont know how they would fair as fronts in a movie system with matching speakers as my room is not that big, about 13x14ft.

I guess my question is what 5.1 surround system would you guys recommend to use in my bedroom? I was thinking of getting something like the kef egg's or similar, but then I stumbled across a few posts about SVS SBS speakers and I've seen these in a 5 speaker package for what seems like good value. opinions would be very grateful. :thumbsup:

2. jensK

jensK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    :hiya:
    Your best bit would be to stick to the MA speakers and get yourself a RS lcr center speaker and for the rear you could take the RS lcr (surround speaker).

3. david230

david230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Cheers, it would be nice to stick with MA.

The only other problem I guess would be that if I were to stick with he Silver S8's as HC fronts I'd need to find a suitable av amp thats as good with music as it is with movies.

Any suggestions on amps?? The Yammy RX-2600 looks tasty on paper. What are the opinions on that beast from you guys?

It has to be as much about sound quality as anything.. Too many av's I've heard are great for movies but lacking for music.

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    If you can get to demo the SVS, I'd do it.
    A listen wouldn't hurt, you never know.

5. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I don't think much this side of Arcam or Primare will keep you happy.

Or use the pre outs from a sensibly priced reciever into your existing amp which will keep the hifi chain intact.

Russell

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i have (see my sig) a whole plethora of Silver S series speakers used for home cinema...lol....and its a fantastic setup, seriously good dynamics, range and coherence, specially across the front 3......but also the SFX rears do some serious justice to movie soundtracks.....

dont know how they compare against the SVS SBS speakers, eventually me and the badger man will get it on and do a test of both systems...lol....(i'm redundant in just over a month badger, so perhaps we can both get a free day...heh)

only thing i will say, you DO need some power...however if you are already running the S8's off a stereo amp, as Russ mentioned, just get an AV amp suitable of running the centre and rears and use its pre-outs to your stereo amp which can continue running the S8's....

minimum you are looking at is £1,000 Denons and Arcams, or if you can stretch perhaps a Primare.......depends what you need it to do, just cinema then tbh for feature count as well the Denons are very good, however if more of a mix of cinema and multi channel music then the Arcams might just win out, or if you stretch the Primare SPA21 blows them all out of the water imo.....

try some demos to see what you think :)