1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seperate media box or not?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bizarrefish, Jul 26, 2005.

?
  1. I prefer a seperate media box.

60.0%
  2. I prefer a fully integrated tv.

40.0%
  1. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just interested in hearing other peoples views on this particular topic. For those that do not understand the question I was reading this morning the announcement from sharp regarding their new aquos range that have integrated the digital receiver and all the connections into the panel itself to provide a 'neater' solution.

My argument is that it isnt 'neater' as you would now need to cable everything up to the tv so instead of one cable to route and hide for the media box you now have multiple cables to hide. This is obviously of more concern when hanging on a wall rather than using the stand.

Is this the trend with manufacturers now? I hope not....

Am I alone with this train of thought?

Cheers

Richard

2. bizarrefish

bizarrefish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any comments?

3. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, I guess it depends. Most consumers would expect the tuner to be in the TV, as this is where they have always been. However, as LCDs/Plasmas are increasingly display panels (PC's/Terestrial TV/Digi, Sat/Games Consoles) not just TVs there is some sense in having a separate, accessible media box. Ultimately it depends on your install. If you're going for a wall mount then a separate media box makes sense, if it is just sat on a stand or table it probably doesn't make much difference.

4. Matt TRD

Matt TRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Having recently spent a lot of time setting up my PC, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube sky and terrestrial TV i can honestly say that a separate media box would have certainly made the task easier.

In addition as i have placed my LCD in an alcove anytime that i want to change or upgrade a cable it is going to be awkward.

5. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A media box isn't the only solution to having one 'data' cable to the display.

A HTPC could encompass TV/PVR, DVD, de-interlacer/scaler functionality, and have one cable to the display.

An AV amp could switch between and up-convert video sources, resulting an easier to use system when surround sound is involved.

Even a switchbox like the Quintro could provide a solution, depending on the type of connections that need to be made.

Admittedly, apart the HTPC, this wouldn't provide a solution to an aerial connection for freeview, but one additional cable specifically for this isn't so bad, or if you are using it with an AV amp, a small freeview STB would take up less space than a TV's media box.

Ultimately, I only really see a media box as useful if you need to reduce the number of cables to the TV AND have sources with multiple types of connection AND use speakers built in to the TV (and not use a HTPC).