1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seperate amp for stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MS-Yam, Aug 31, 2004.

1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a an AV amp but want better sound quality, so I am thinking of buying a stereo amp to run along side my AV. I will be using the same speakers as I do for my two fronts channels of my AV set up.

Is it simply a case of connecting one amp to one pair of terminals on the speakers, and the other amp to the other speaker terminals with more cable?

Or have I got this totally wrong??

My AV amp is a Yamaha 640SE with plently of connections.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    No, if you connect 2 amps directly to the same speakers you could blow the amps!
    You could connect the 2 amps to a selector switch to the same speakers or if the receiver has preouts then the better way would be as follows:

Connect L&R speakers to HiFi amp
    Connect all stereo sources to HiFi amp
    Connect the front L/R preout s on the AV receiver to an input on the HiFi amp.

When listening to music leave the AV switched off.
    When watching TV or DVD etc then have both amps on. Select the HiFi amp input that the AV is connected to.

Some HiFi amps will have a fixed gain input so you wont need to set the volume on thqat amp during DVD playback. Arcam are the ones that spring to mind for that.
    If your HiFi amp does not have that feature then you will need to be carefull to remember to set the HiFi amps volume each time you switch from stereo to DVD etc.

Mark.

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!