1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seperate 2 chn amp over av amp ,how much better please???????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Aug 18, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    many forum members have seperate amps for hi-fi ,much better than av amp etc,how big a differance though, have linked up 3802+arcam a85 as re earlier thread (how to link 3802 to a85) i set 3802 spkrs large (no sub) have bw cdm1nts bi-wired to spk 1 on a85,

2. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    I experimented with with my Denon 2800/B&W CM2 setup by using an old Cyrus 2 for front amplification. Not worth the hassle IMHO...

3. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't worry about not being able to tell much difference between the two setups. After all you are using the same source, power amp and speakers in the signal path. The pre-amp section is the only thing which is different. You are getting a lot of the benefit of having the A85 through it's power amp stage alone.

I am a little surprised if you cannot notice any difference thought as the A85 has a very clean preamp stage and I would have though that the Denon does a A-D then D-A chain of conversions, being an AV receiver (unless direct mode bypasses this???).

If you really can't tell the difference then you might save yourself some setup trouble by disconnecting the pre-amp section of the A85 (press that recessed button next to the pre-out / power in terminals) and attach the Denon's front pre-outs directly to the Arcam's power in terminals. (Now bin the A85 remote!)

I have an AVR100 and an A85 and while the AVR100 is well regarded for stereo amplification for an AV receiver I can definitely notice a significant improvement with the A85 for stereo music (even just using a DVD player - Arcam :rolleyes: DV88 for CD playing).

Charles.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping for an 'all-in-wonder' system - I ended up buying a CD player, stereo integrated amp and now the only thing shared between the two systems is the power amp stage of the stereo integrated and the front two channels.

There are very few AV amps that are any good with music, and even less DVD players...

Ya gotta pick the right tool(s) for the job!

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks guys, the thing that mistifies me though is, heard a85 and bw cdm1nts in shop (sounded good) got a85 and linked up friday with advise from yourseves, my cdm1nt dont sound anything like (good) still harsh, ive only played them at lowish volume , will try linking to sky music and leave them running for a few hours (ive had them since late may not sure how many hours they have acctually been used (music +dvd etc)