• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Separates tuner or standalone

Georgie Burgess

Standard Member
Quick question. I'm in the process of buying a mid-range hifi separates system and I want to add an FM tuner. Not pushed about DAB and internet radio but chances are whatever I get will have either or both of those features. My question is would I be better off buying a separates tuner like a Denon 1800 etc or a standalone radio like the Pure Evoke Flow? I'll probably be purchasing a Roksan Kandy K2 amp so whatever I purchase will have to connect into this.

KJ Palmer

Established Member
A decent seperates tuner should give you better reception than a small box crammed full of electronics, and possibly geared more to DAB than FM. I have an old Denon receiver, and with a good aerial attached somewhat outshines my little Roberts 'tranny'. That obviously comes into it's own for portable or non-critical use, but for the hi-fi I'd always go with seperates rather than plug in a line out from a portable. I'm quite impressed with the Denon DM37DAB, though, so something like that might be worth considering.

Steeve24

Established Member

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom