1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate tuner or DVD recorder for PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Smeicy, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Smeicy

Smeicy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am just about to buy a Pana PW6 42”. But before I take the last step I have two questions.

- Can I use a Panasonic DMR-E85 (DVD-recorder) as a tuner for the PW6 instead of buying an separate tuner box like the Panasonic TUPTA600B ? (will I loss some important functions like text-tv)

- When can we expect the PW7 to be ready for delivery – and will it actually be better than PW6?

Well that’s actually three questions. I hope someone can help. I might add that I am going to connect the DVD-recorder or tuner-box to a digital set top box… so 90% of the time I won’t be using the analogue tuner.

Cheers
    Smeicy

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A Pace twin or similar TV Tuner is fine, PW7 end of month Better???? Some specs are better HDMI support etc , PQ i would expect to be Very similar.......

3. Smeicy

Smeicy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would anybody then buy a separate Pana tv tuner for their PW6 panel?

For only £100 extra you get a Pana DVD-recorder with 80 GB HD.
    I just don’t want to buy a DVD-recorder and suddenly realize that I am missing a lot of functions from the separate tuner box.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    analogue text, more scarts, A more TV like operation and simpler wall mounting (one cable up wall for video, (but no one that knows what they are doing uses the tuner unless there is a specific reason. more useful with PW5 which had fewer input options

5. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, how about if "specific reason" is that one watches standard analogue TV channels for 30-50% of the viewing time? I still wanna watch the news, some sports stuff, rarely nice documentaries, etc... Besides, I have family who also uses "TV" channels when not looking DVd, cartoons or other latest-films via other digital on component inputs?

I think the question in the first place is whether it is stupid to buy an analogue tuner, in particular Panasonic's one, if for mostly the same monay you can get a decend DVD recorder, and still nicely use the tuner features....

If not, what are other non-Panasonic options? Any good/recommended DVD recorders? Other analogue tuners?

I'd be interested in such a solution as well, in order to keep costs down, and in stead of spending on a full blown Viera, take a PW6...

Or, while I think of it, why not connect a VCR and use its tuner for PW6?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    my philips dvdr75 (now £169) Has a tuner (good for local news proggys)
    Firewire and will convert composite and s-video signals to RGB. Sky (RGB) goes to
    dvdr (RGB) goes to JS/VGA converter to VGA input of PW6. Great pictures
    from all the digital sources and just about watchable terrestial TV.

Terrestial analogue Tv does not look good on 42" plasma screens tho
    What have you got against Sky or Freeview boxes??

7. SeaMan

SeaMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info... Well, I have nothing against Sky or Freview, except that I have no use of these. I live in Luxembourg and as the whole country is cabled, there's no air broadcast, we receive all via cable (analogue, some 30-40 channels). So, this is the primary viewing target, except DVD and other devices to connect. In some time, I may get a dish and start receiving digital stuff, via some normal dig. tuner or dreambox...

So, analogue tuner issues and PQ is quite important to me.