Separate speakers for Hi-fi and home cinema

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by daveb975, Oct 22, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I am in the process of moving, and was hoping to integrate my Hi-fi and home cinema set-ups completely.

All was going well, but I have been scuppered by the fact I have nowhere to put my B&W LCR60 centre speaker.

This has got me thinking about buying a sub/sat system (e.g. B&W MT20, Kef 2005.2 etc) for HC duties, whilst retaining my main pair (B&W 603S3) for stereo.

Has anybody done this and could let me know if the surround sound performance will be as good as my current set-up?

I am currently running a Denon AVR-1906, with the front channels driven by my Cyrus stereo amp. I have got the B&Ws as mentioned, with Mission M7DS rears and a MJ Acoustics ref 100 sub.

I have had a quick demo of the MT20 (driven by a Denon 3805), and I thought the movie sound was great, but the stereo poor.

I didn't have a chance to compare them to full range speakers for movie sound.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am 100% sure the current B&W setup will give you a better experience than the MT20 or the Kef eggs. Don't forget you have 2 great floorstanders which produce sound in a level that satelite speakers just cant produce (physics limitations). Don't forget that your REL sub is a real subwoofer (going below 30HZ) while the sub in the MT20 or the eggs doesn't go that deep for sure. It has to compansate for the lack of bass from the satelites so it goes much higher than REL and becomes actually a normal woofer.

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I think that I will have to try and demo these at home to get a true idea, but I think you will be right.

I was hoping that the B&W sub would be ok. The MT30 set-up goes for £1,575 including the £950 PV-1 sub, so that means that the MT20 should effectively be worth about £350. Surely, this should be broadly the equal of my MJ, which also cost £350, two years ago.

My only other option is to get one of the MT series satellites to use as a centre with my 603s as the main two. I am a bit worried how this will sound, though!

To make matters worse, I saw a very good price on a B&W LCR600 centre (my ideal centre speaker) on th weekend. I was tempted, but it is not a good idea considering I have not got space for my LCR60!

4. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the PV-1 a stand alone sub like your MJ or does it come with the satelite in 1 box?
    If the 1st option is correct, it will sound horrible because the satelite produce mostly highs and some mids while the sub goes really low. In that case there is no speaker to produce the rest of the bass (higher than 30HZ).
    If the 2nd option is the right one, it won't be as good as your own sub. Satelite speakers do not function as normal floorstanders. Physically they can't produce good bass (too small). They are there to produce the highs and some mids. The sub's job is to compansate for that so it has to go higher than the normal subwoofer.

I would pass on the satelite center. It will sound bad. The center speaker must be from the same series as the front speakers, due to the fact that the elements must be as similar as possible so the fronts and the center won't interefere with each others sound.

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You could probaly use your current sub and forget about the one included as the oens in the packages (most likely) not have a stistch on your MJ, if it has multiple inputs then your set if not, you could use a high quality y spliter to connect both av reciever and stereo amp to it.

If you can't get a centre channel that matches the fronts for what ever reason then its advisable to go with a package, as if the centre is different to the fronts it can make a significant and distracrting chage when sound pans from one side to another. For example someone is talking in the left speaker and then moves to be on the center, the voice may change 'charecter'.
    Retaining your cyrus amp and using it as a power amp from the reciver for your fronts would probably not be a ideal either (athough it may sound fine with experimenting), unless you got another amp that had a similar sound to the cryus and a center with the tonal values of the B&W fronts.

6. bledd

bledd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just to let you know that the B&w PV-1 sub has won the best under £1000 award. Partenered with the B&w sats make it a very good "package"