Separate or one box?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shawkins002, Jun 20, 2003.

1. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm currently using a Panasonic DVDA160 bought many moons ago to play CDs and DVDs. Doesn't even have RGB, and my XBOX is probably better quality in terms of picture.

On a reasonably limited budget (say £300) I want a new CD player and DVD player.

I was either thinking a cheapish dedicated player (something like a Marantz CD4000 and a Toshiba SD330), or going for a Pioneer 656.

Ignoring the fact that the Pioneer has multi-channel audio for the moment, which option would give the best sound and vision? Superfi are doing the 656 for £299 at the moment, and I wonder if my money could be better spent on two dedicated players. If I could get better sound and RBG PQ for £300, I would sacrifice the multi-channel audio.

What to do...?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could get a £100 Toshiba DVD player, and a £200 CD player. Although the budget Tosh's lack DVD-Audio, a decent 2nd hand £200 CD player will outperfom a new £300 DVD player.

3. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Nathan - how does the the SD330 picture compare with the 656? I want the best of both worlds, but I would say I watch DVDs more than I listen to CDs.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't compared the two (for picture quality), just a suggestion.

If you want decent Hi-Fi sound from the analogue outputs (for a CD disc) you need a seperate CD Player. Using a DVD player for CD sounds awful IMO. You should be able to tell the difference- upper budget system you've got there.

Or you could just use a Pioneer 656 for both duties, and get a CD player later on.

5. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks. I seem to have blown all my cash on on the amp/speaker side for a newcomer to this game, but I suppose if the chain is only as good as the weakest link, no point in compromising on the CD front.

I'm thinking maybe a NADC521i and a Tosh SD330 then. I'll give them a demo on the w/e. And the 656 I suppose, just to make sure. Any other suggestions in this price range?

Cheers for your help.

Simon