Sentinelle (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I hated this but it may of been my own own fault as the version I watched on Netflix was dubbed into English and the voice acting was woeful.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas. Olga Kurylenko was perfectly cast for her part in Oblivion, & I personally remember her for that rather than Quantum of Premise

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I hated this but it may of been my own own fault as the version I watched on Netflix was dubbed into English and the voice acting was woeful.

Yeah, I hate it when Netflix default to dubbed, and find dubbing invariably ruins movies.

Ironically, the director's last film, the JCVD flick, was given a dubbed UK BD release, which I'd thought would have been outlawed by now. Really unnecessary, and I don't know why Van Damme agreed to do the English dubbing himself.

MikeTheBike2010

Yeah, I hate it when Netflix default to dubbed, and find dubbing invariably ruins movies.

Ironically, the director's last film, the JCVD flick, was given a dubbed UK BD release, which I'd thought would have been outlawed by now. Really unnecessary, and I don't know why Van Damme agreed to do the English dubbing himself.
A massive thumbs up to these sentiments. Have been caught a couple of times by streaming services defaulting to a far inferior dubbed version only to enjoy the show much more when ive realised and corrected matters in a sub menu somewhere?

On the - otherwise excellent - Roku box I am currently stumped by Anazon Primes insistence to subtitle into German any text (never speech) shown onscreen. This seems to happen most on The Expanse! This, and lip sync issues etc etc never happened in the simpler days of VHS!

Thanks for the review as always, is it churlish of me to by far enjoy reading about the films you don’t enjoy!

Evinger

Distinguished Member
On the - otherwise excellent - Roku box I am currently stumped by Anazon Primes insistence to subtitle into German any text (never speech) shown onscreen. This seems to happen most on The Expanse!
I'm presuming that you are watching on Prime.de. I see the same thing, but it doesn't bother me - I am just happy that so many series & films have the English Soundtrack nowadays. :)

MikeTheBike2010

I'm presuming that you are watching on Prime.de. I see the same thing, but it doesn't bother me - I am just happy that so many series & films have the English Soundtrack nowadays. :)
Not as far as I know, just loaded up the Amazon Prime app for Roku?

Mac468

Novice Member
Funnily enough I also get this, and I'm using the Nvidia Shield App, and AFAIK using normal Prime. Certainly not a German version!

MikeTheBike2010

Funnily enough I also get this, and I'm using the Nvidia Shield App, and AFAIK using normal Prime. Certainly not a German version!
Always a comfort to know Im not the only one, I assume its just a "glitch in the matrix" somewhere?

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Not as far as I know, just loaded up the Amazon Prime app for Roku?

Always a comfort to know Im not the only one, I assume its just a "glitch in the matrix" somewhere?
O, it sounds like they are streaming the Prime Germany versions of these series & Movies then. Out of interest, do you get multiple language choices for the audio as well - I'm thinking of German in particular.
EDIT: Sorry, Cas, we've kind of hijacked this discussion string - I'll not post any more about Prime here.

raduv1

Distinguished Member

You may want to check out the dubbed version for giggles because I'm positive it's not even Olga Kuryenko voicing her own character.

GT One

Though it's a shame Sentinelle was not made by Luc Besson in his younger days the film recycles a plot which fans of the action / revenge genre will find familiar, the predictable and sometimes improbable story arc does not demand anything from the viewer apart from a willingness to patiently stay tuned as the movie paces itself from one set piece action scene to another.
Sentinelle contains all the ingredients for making a sequel and I believe there is a good chance we'll get one, the French are adept at recognising a worthwhile product and this movie fits nicely into Netflix's yearly selection of popular movie releases, perhaps next time the budget may be sufficient for some fast paced car chase sequences which the French action movie industry are renowned for.
Olga Kurylenko conveys a gritty military stoicism in her role and does the hard hitting fight choreography very well, the main one on one fight scenes are high class, it has the Bourne 'ouch!' factor that modern stunt players choreograph for nowadays.

My rating for Sentinelle is also 7 out of 10.

rustyk21

Terrible IMBD reviews. I know it's not the holy grail of scoring and it's subjective/fake etc. etc. etc. but I think I'll wait for a few more of you to watch this first.
I'll go back to my Final Space rewatch on Netflix.

Belzok

I'm at a 5.5 out of 10, just didn't engage at all.

Yes, if Luc Besson had been anywhere near this it would have been superb I suspect.

I thought the fight scenes were pretty rubbish, not Bourne adjacent in the slightest.

GT One

I'm at a 5.5 out of 10, just didn't engage at all.

Yes, if Luc Besson had been anywhere near this it would have been superb I suspect.

I thought the fight scenes were pretty rubbish, not Bourne adjacent in the slightest.
Bourne did set the modern bench mark for film editing of stylised fight/action sequences though Hong Kong martial arts stunt players should take all the credit for developments in Hollywood stunt fight choreography; I thought Sentinelle's incidental hospital fight sequence was well done but the fight editing could have been better.
If I had a personal criticism of Sentinelle as far as overall enjoyment is concerned, it was the films lack of exciting pace, which is essential for any action flick destined to go straight to DVD , the film did not keep viewer adrenaline levels high enough which is something the early Bourne films were good at before success and bigger budgets took over.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Watched it last night and thought it was really poor.

Predictable "seen it all before" plot, terrible acting including a wooden performance by Olga Kurylenko, some really dubious editing, awful sound design (the music in the night club sounded like an afterthought) and worst of all, really, really bad stunt work.

If you're going to put that many fights in a film they need to look convincing and the fight scenes in this were laughable.

It looked like this film was trying to be "Joan Wick" and failed in every aspect.

dr no

Set the scene well enough with some cliches but then kind of didn’t even bother with that.
Completely lost any meaningful direction last third
Pointless and poor 4/10 from me

Garrett

Set the scene well enough with some cliches but then kind of didn’t even bother with that.
Completely lost any meaningful direction last third
Pointless and poor 4/10 from me
:smashin:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Hovering around a 5.5-6/10. Very generic, predicable etc etc. Seen a lot worse on Netflix mind.

Helps a tad that Olga is so gorgeous :love: Could probably watch her paint white walls for 80 mins, never mind a so so movie. :D

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021