1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sent back my TH42PV500 - I tried, I really did.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StrongSilent, Aug 2, 2005.

1. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Before I begin, the observations below are purely my own and have not been influenced by the countless threads on various faults, annoyances etc. (you see I haven't mentioned a faint horizontal line coz it didnt bother me - even tho I knew it was there somewhere).
    Right so now thats off my chest... had my TH42PV500 6 weeks now, just asked Panny to collect it and refund me which they have authorised.
    Please don't let this influence your decision on whether or not to buy one. I would have loved to keep it but I felt there were too many small issues to ignore, especially the amount of use the unit would get. Sooo...

Agin:
    1) Lack of direct input selection on native remote - not even the possibility of using a programmable one in the absence of discreet codes for each input (yes I have tried very hard).
    2) Built-in Freeview is adequate, but picture accross all channels is fuzzier in comparison to even a very basic Daewoo set-top which I used on my previous Sony CRT.
    3) Cannot view TV programmes while viewing the Freeview guide. In other words the picture is replaced entirely by the menu instead of being tranlucently overlayed on the TV prog underneath (once again the Daewoo allows this).
    4) Freeview recording to DVD/HD/VCR requires TV to remain on standby - not awful but for more than day or so I'd prefer to switch the TV off, but still allow enough power through the circuitry to keep freeview alive (not rocket-science).
    5) Flimsy (annoying) flap on the remote over VCR/DVD which is used frequently due to Picture in Picture button being placed under it too.
    6) Remote is too directional - must be pointing directly at bottom left hand corner of the screen (ir sensor) to work. Even pointing to the middle, let alone the right hand side doesnt work. 3rd party remotes didnt have this problem and could be bounced off the floor walls or ceiling with ease.
    7) The aspect ratio 'flickers' when certain programmes on certain channels cut to commercials. TV appears to quickly cycle through 3 or 4 aspect ratios before 'settling' on the correct one.
    8) Solarisation on skin tones has become very distracting. No combination of filters, modes or enhancements (whether turned on or off) seems to help this. Admittedly all plasmas might suffer from this.
    9) The high gloss black strips on either side of the screen reflect light, unevenly at that, from ceiling and side lamps which can be distracting.
    10) The cabinet stand looks great and is well balanced and solid, but ultimately too cramped to be sufficient. Although cable management shelves do keep cables very tidy.
    11) Built in speakers are loud but can sound a bit woolly making dialogue seem muted.
    12) Picture & Picture (PiP, PbyP) etc. could easily have offered separate audio through the headphone socket, which even has separate volume control built-in so a glaring ommision in my view.

For:
    1) Great picture in general, from any well cabled, clean signal.
    2) XBOX games and Media Center look fantastic even without Hi Def.
    3) Excellent build quality overall.
    4) Good connectivity, although more HDMI slots would have been easy and relatively cheap to include.
    5) SD recording is nice if you have a suitable PDA to watch it on.
    6) PCcard slot works well (using my CF-pcmcia adapter).
    7) Good solid remote in general though too long for smaller hands (mine are huge so np).
    8) Looks stunning, though aesthetics are very subjective.

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    No they don't, not that is really noticeable anyway, my PW6 did, my PHD6 does not.

Well done for sending it back, if something annoys you it is the best thing to do, too many people keep them and shout out things they don't like.

So what now?

3. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well its back to the drawing board. I understand the PHD8 remote does have direct input selection, coupled with a decent media-box I might hit the jackpot.
    Thoughts?

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    The Panny HD8 and scaler looks like a good choice, a scaler would give so much more than a media box in terms of quality.

The Pioneer 436 looks interesting, but the media box lets teh Pioneer sets down a bit imho. Don't know if a new Pioneer Panel is on its way?

The Fujitsu is well worth a look too.

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Having read all that, I'm surprised you got them to take it back.
    Not one of those is a major fault that deserves refund, IMO.
    Fair play to you, but I'm just thinking "what do you want for the money???"
    I suggest you look at the £20,000 market and even then, I doubt you'd be happy.
    No offence meant, just my opinion :thumbsup:

6. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Funny you should say that, I did look at the Bang & Olufsen top of the range Plazzers at around 14k (for a laugh) and guess who makes their panels?
    Matsush*ta! Which I believe is Japanese for Panasonic ;)

I'm not an unreasonable guy 'onest.

7. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    you made a big mistake by not loving a panny on this forum :suicide:

you'll find a horse's head in ya bed in the AM :rotfl:

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Haha

Not really, it is good to see that someone who is not happy has got rid of their screen rather than keep it.

However, only one point (8) out of the 12 is because of something he doesnt like about the picture, the rest are just features or design things that he doesn't like.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the line down the middle would make it a reject for me.
    I always avoided trinitron CRTs because of the two lines.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I was thinking that, it seems that PQ isn't everything after all.

11. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Picture quality is great admittedly, but something as apparently basic as the input selection rigmarole greatly detracted from the overall enjoyment of the set.
    I have 4 littluns between 4 and 9 yrs old and they would often have to wait for me to switch to the Xbox on AV1 because they were on the AV3/AV4/component half of the input menu instead of AV1/AV2 half or had gone into the Svideo mode by pressing the relevant colour button twice instead of once. I know the toggles/and left right scrolling are a way of addressing the large number of inputs supported, but bottom-line it's just not intuitive enough for something so central to the family's entertainment. If it were soley for my use , the PQ alone would have kept me quite happy.

12. TH42PV500

TH42PV500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did it this?
    Real posibilitie is buying HDMI switch
    or you know about additional internal board from Panasonic (there is some cover with 2 screw on backside)?

sorry for my english :lesson:

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    This thread is two years and three months old. And the PV500 was a nasty pile of turd. Unfortunately while the Vieras have certainly got better, a few items on that list still ring true to one degree or another. Including that the PH series is much better.

I think the additional board option you are talking about is on the pro series not on the Viera screens.

14. TH42PV500

TH42PV500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for information
    :lesson:

my answers was CENSORED
    why dou you not censored a nasty pile of turd ?????

15. 355f

355f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes panasonic do make the panels only for B&O- its the commercial panels linked to a processor and 7.1 preamp and scaler. That why it costs the money!