Sensurround

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by m4rky_m4rk, Jan 29, 2009.

1. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I am not sure if this best place to start this thread but I hope sub woofer fans will enjoy the topic.

Extracts from Wiki:

Not so expensive considerinq what it can do:

The system was improved upon over the years following its debut in 1974 with the film Earthquake. They refined it and added infrasound which could only be felt and not heard. :devil:

Has any ever bought one and used it :eek: I doubt it but there are some crazzies about :smashin:

House still standing?

I guess most of the younger guys will not know what I am talking about!

The full Wiki article is below:

Sensurround - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and there is already a post on the thread below for any comments on the 1974 film called Earthquake which featured sensurround p.37

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers/251297-best-movies-subwoofer-moment-37.html

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    My assumption (not having read the Wiki, so feel free to shoot me down) is that the audio source would need to be specially encoded with a Sensurround track. Of the few films made with Sensuround tracks, what are the chances that these tracks would be encoded on the DVD versions, if that was even possible?

It would seem a bit of a waste of time installing such a system domestically. :)

I also have a slight issue with the theory that infrasonics can be panned as the whole point is you can't hear them, so why bother?

Having said that I would like to have watched BG in the Cinema in such a Cinema! :)

Adam

3. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I think your are basically correct. The system relied on special encoding in the films but I beleive the encoding was left in on the DVD's because the control tones were just a rumbles anyway. What they didn't do was remaster the sound track to try to replicate the sensuround effect with todays HC setups ie they didn't do anything fancy on the LFE channel other than to copy over the control tones. So in theory sensuround for the home could be done because the controls tones are still there. I know there are some crayzzy bass nuts about but even they are not that insane.

The relevant bit from wiki:

I have never heard one of those films outside of the cinema so I have no idea what they now sound like on DVD. I was hoping someone has though. I did see Earthquake when it was released and the shocking rumble effect is still the only thing I can remember about the film. Not bad really considering most films are very forgetable and quite quickly too.

I like the idea that audience actually felt like they were 'being launched ' in Battlestar Galactica. I also like the idea that there are some 'interesting people' mad enough to have a go just for fun. Sort of thing you might see as a Top Gear stunt. Pity there are no caravans in any of the films :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    According to the technical specifications quoted, it is nothing special for a modern 5.1 system with a capable subwoofer (like reaching 16Hz flat). And if you take a modern soundtrack with serious bass peaks in the subsonic region, you will have the same effect.

As Adam said, the panning effect has nothing to do with the devices itself, it is just psychoacustics (your brain puts together high and low frequency sounds that seem to belong to the same object and assigns them the same origin).

I think the most interesting point of this is its existence already over 30 years ago. Finally, home cinema is catching up!

5. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I found an excellent review of the DVD of Earthquake. The guy is an expert on Sensurround.

Amazon.com: P. T. Chamberlain's review of Earthquake

I also noticed that cinema fans ocassionally organise a viewing of this film complete with Sensurround. All seem to agree the film is basically rubbish but the sound effects were revolutionary.... if you ever come across such a showing please let us all know. Its a lot of fun and should'nt be missed.

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2004/recreating_sensurround/index.htm

Here's a link to a guy who sold on the gear when it was all done and paid his college fees with the proceeds.....

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2007/sensurround/clearance/index.htm

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  6. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    That means that any dvd with today's technology and with today's hardware should be able to deliver the same effects/performance.

7. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    I saw the 1974 Earthquake showing with Sensurround and I never experinced such shaking since...... maybe over the mist of time my memories of it are now somewhat rosier than actual reality! Maybe I will buy the DVD to see if it can shake my counch like I remember. Will first install a tactile sound unit and a net to catch the falling plaster!!

8. darwinws

darwinws

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Any info on where to get any of this equipment in the UK? Sounds interesting!

9. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
  10. darwinws

darwinws

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44