Sensor Cleaning and screen repair of TZ7

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Nimby, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I have just found a couple of excellent videos on dismantling the TZ series.

Here's a handy video on TZ sensor cleaning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nmwt0frZns

I have just removed a huge dark blob which has driving me mad for ages. Took less than 10 minutes total using a tiny, straight bladed watchmaker's screwdriver.

The TZ screen is also a piece of cake to remove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9O43EOkiKY

It's so easy when you are shown how. :)

Note dire warnings on doing any of this while still under guarantee!

2. bobbymax

bobbymax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Nice find Nimby :smashin:

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Thanks. :)

With stills it was relatively easy to hide a dark blob in the sky with software like PhotoFiltre. Cloning a new cloud proved easiest. I was getting quite creative after a few months of doing that! :blush:

However, the same can't be said for video. Particularly the very unfriendly AVHD which nobody supports! (As far as I know)

I was on the point of looking for another camera until I did a search for <dark blobs on digital images> and these useful videos popped up.

In my ignorance I was blaming the mechanic who replaced my cracked screen under guarantee. Thinking he had sneezed or dropped some dust inside. It seems the long zoom lens housing acts like a vacuum pump and sucks in dust every time it moves.

Then I was thinking what if the lens is the culprit? Imagining how difficult that would be to clean! But it would be very difficult for the lens to produce a sharp blob on the image. So it could only be the sensor. Which, while delicate itself, is usually protected by an IR filter.

There's another useful video by the first chap showing how to completely dismantle the lens. (If necessary)

The main difficulty was not removing the tiny screws but getting them back in safely. Not something to be practised in mid air over over a shag pile carpet with a cat on your lap and screaming kids running around like whirling dervishes! So I didn't. ;)

"Happy days are here again, tra-la!" :D