1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sensible advice needed.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Canoehq, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Sorry for the thicko questions, but before I rush out to spend my hard earned dosh to build an HCPC, could someone help me with some sensible advice.

1. As I will be outputting sound to my Yamaha A2 amp, does it matter if I have a cheapo 5.1 card in the HCPC or do I need an expensive m-audio one. Where is the real bit of the sound processing done and will the end result be that different ?

2. Same with Capture cards. Is a Falcon (for example) far better than a well tweaked Rave or are reviewers on the forums being picky ?

3. Finally, as I will want to watch TV via my Panny PJ, how best to get TV tuning ? Is it

via the TV capture card itself
    through a VCR
    Hauppauge Nova-T
    via the new Pace digital box
    or the Pro-v being talked about.

Thanks guys (and gals) for any help !!

Canoehq:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    1/ Some say it does, some say it doesn't - for movies that is. I'm using a cheapo Aureal SQ1500 sound card which cost me $12.50 from the USA, and it sounds fine using my Denon 3802. Some here are using the Soundblaster 4.1 without complaint, so you've nothing to lose for £24 ish... It sounds better than my Samy 709 though (does that mean anything? :) )

2/I believe the Falcon is one of the preffered cards, though my PCTV Rave does have some noise (not yet tried the new DScaler 4 or noise filters for 3.1). It can be a little 'pot luck' as some identical cards can produce more noise than others.

3/Possibly via the capture card using DScaler as a de-interlacer. I've not seen the Pro-V, so I can't say, but the capture card should produce better pictures than interlaced images fed directly into the pj. It may be better to use an external source rather than the tv card because an external tuner will probably be of better quality. Try using your video recorder as a test.

HTH

Gary

3. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Thanks Gary. Good Answers.

Canoehq