Sense And Nonsense about Games

logiciel

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Paula Radcliffe calls "the government's decision to double the budget for London 2012's opening and closing ceremonies "frivolous". As the extra amount is an obscene £41 million calling that comment "sense" is surely putting it very mildly.

She goes on though to say that sport is "about the self-confidence it can give kids. It's about health, it's about getting them to work better in teams and in school" which, despite all the hype that surrounds this new form of religion, is, imho, total nonsense.

What are you complaining about specifically?

The fact that the budget is increasing, or you don't think sport can have the impact Paula stated.

Or something else?

why is £41m obscene? Its the olympic games, a global spectacle, and the opening ceremony will be seen by billions of people and stand as a massive illustration of what Britain is capable of. £41m is chump change compared to what it could bring us in future tourism etc (or lose us if it goes badly).

Just treat it like an advertising budget

The idea of sport in schools being beneficial is a "new religion" & the benefits are "total nonsense"? :confused:

Thankfully PE lessons seem to have improved a lot from when I was a kid.

My children actually enjoy PE , with thoughtful friendly encouragement from seemingly mentally healthy PE teachers.

My own experience of PE consisted of the Rugby team members being treated as gods regardless of their abilities and general conduct towards the other kids.

The rest of us were generally put through some gruelling mindless exercise designed primarily to give some sadist entertainment whilst they sat in a nice warm sports pavilion filling their overweight frame with biscuits and coffee and occasionally bellowing out of the window to induce fear and humiliation amongst the less physically capable pupils.

Treats I remember ;

Cross country running...run around the sports ground until you puke , in the rain in snow in storm force winds whilst dressed in a flimsy t-shirt and kiddie fiddler special shorts.

Rugby...get the bells beaten out of you by the members of the rugby team who if you did manage to best on occasion would return the favour by deliberately injuring you next time you came near them , something the PE teachers would usually turn a blind eye to.

I remember emerging from a scrum painted with blood only to have the PE teacher berate me for being a "nancy" for even noticing it.

"Please sir...its not actually mine" I said drawing his attention to the barely7 stone 12 year old waif spitting what remained of his teeth out on the ground.

Playing rugby on solid frozen grass in shorts and t-shirts should be something that's banned under the geneva convention.

Swimming: swim up and down a manky pool until you puke and or drown , skinnier and less well endowned members of the class shall be humiliated later in the changing rooms.

Hockey : hit the other guy in the face with the stick before he does it to you .

Cricket: hit the batsman in the face or privates with the ball , throw the ball at other fielders in your own team when they have their back to you and try and knock them out. (PE teacher having a snooze in the pavillion if required)

Athletics: run , jump , hurdle , etc ...until you puke.

Circuit training: various exercises until physical collapse and or puking.

Golf: only for the rich kids.

Sailing: see golf.

Skiing: rugby team members only.

:laugh: @ Mr D, that sounds eerily similar to the PE classes I attended, rugby/football team favouritism and all.

I have no idea what the OP is about though.

Sport = religion? Need some explanation there. If you're talking about the fanaticism of the supporters of sport, I can see the parallels with religion, but in terms of the things Radcliffe says:

sport is about the self-confidence it can give kids. It's about health, it's about getting them to work better in teams and in school

I'm not sure how that conclusion has been drawn.

why is £41m obscene? Its the olympic games, a global spectacle, and the opening ceremony will be seen by billions of people and stand as a massive illustration of what Britain is capable of. £41m is chump change compared to what it could bring us in future tourism etc (or lose us if it goes badly).

Just treat it like an advertising budget

Isn't it £41m EXTRA.?...on top of the original budget of £40m? So £81m purely on the opening and closing ceremonies?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom