Sennheiser U230 TV Setup

LJGuttridge

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been using my U320 gaming headset for a couple of years now and never thought about trying to use it while watching regular TV.

As it has a USB power source I tried plugging it into the mains whilst still leaving the RCA adaptors in the TV. My thought was that plugging the USB into my Playstation 4 only supplied it with power and nothing else. Yet when I try to use my headset for regular TV use, no sound plays.

I've tried adjusting the TV settings but the headphones setting is greyed out because my headset using the red and white RCA adaptors not the A/P port.

Any help on this subject would be amazing. My TV is LG47LA660V-ZA. I read a review on Amazon staying that this headset is compatible with some TVs but not others, but so far I've been unable to find a compatibility list.

You have no sound because those red/white phono sockets on your Tv are inputs...not outputs.
Either use the headphone socket via a 3.5mm stereo jack to phono lead or a D/A convertor in the TV's optical out.

Thanks for your advice mate. I'm still pretty confused though. So I get where the optical out is and I understand that the TV has a headphone socket, but my headset doesn't seem to support either.

I use it for my ps4 by plugging the USB part directly into the console. When I do that with the TV however, this method is unsupported.

So, just to break it down, I have the headset which needs to be powered via USB, I plug the USB into the ps4 and from this is attached the RCA adaptors which link directly into the TV. This allows me to listen to my game volume and chat online. So now I want that same function but only when I'm watching TV. Would a connector going from my USB(plugged into the mains) to my TV headphone(A/P port) work?

Would a connector going from my USB(plugged into the mains) to my TV headphone(A/P port) work?

Yes, a mains USB adaptor for power and the headphone lead to the headphone port.
You won't get surround, only stereo.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom