Sennheiser TR120 analog wireless headphones now obsolete?

GeneL

Novice Member
I've got two Sennheiser TR120 headphone sets which, in the past, I was able to connect to my TVs via Audio Out ports, and while I listened on my headphones, my wife would listen via sound from the TV speaker. Moving ahead with updating our TV sets, from looking at the specs of the new TVs, I see only a Digital Optical Audio output. it appears I won't be able use these TR120s, correct?

Some brands appear to offer Bluetooth connectivity to Bluetooth headphones. If I bought one of these TVs and new Bluetooth headphones, would I be able to listen via headphones while my wife listens via the TV speaker?

I'm old and confused, thank you !

Dodgexander

If the TV you buy lacks a 3.5mm out, you'll have to use a DAC for your headphones which will need to be powered and have an optical input and 3.5mm output.
For example:
Amazon product

With the adapter above, some TVs may be able to support powering the DAC too via their USB port, if it doesn't work, you'll need to use a different power brick.

Of course, you don't necessarily have to use a single unit DAC, you can also buy an AV Receiver or Soundbar to plug in headphones that have a DAC built in if they have a 3.5mm output. You could also buy different wireless headphones that support an optical input or just search for a TV that still uses one.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom