Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sennheiser RS65

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by top_caty, Jan 19, 2004.

1. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have the Sennheiser RS65 wireless headphones, and what do you think of them?

Any others that people would recommend?

Thanks

2. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I have the rs45, which are not as good as the rs65, but I can tell you the sound is great.
    I also tried in the shop the 65, and the difference is that they (65) have less noise (due to the fact that they are wireless, but this is really low, you won't notice unless you listen to very quiet passages), and also a more extended bass range, apart from better pads for your ears.
    The quality of sound is so good, that my hifi sounds worse, can you imagine?
    Detailed and tidy, you won't be tired of using them!
    BTW, the 85 are the top of that line, and I also tried them... Unfortunately too expensive, but that was really good. I can hardly imagine something sounding better... although I bet it exist.
    Anyway, if you don't need or strongly want wireless, I recommend you to use regular ones, because you get even better sound at lower price (for example, any of Sennheiser).

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    The RS65s are really pretty good as wireless 'phones go - which is to say, nowhere near as good as a pair of with-cord headphones costing the same price.

4. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments, all very helpful. I have a pair of corded phones which are pretty good and some really old Philips wireless phones so wanted to replace the Philips HC8305 because they have far to much background noise.

I read the RS65 were good but that the more expensive RS85 had some noise reducing technology built into them which made them sound rather flat and and not very impressive.

Are there any other wireless headphones that come close to the RS65 in terms of quality and price? I could stretch to the RS85 if they were a lot better but with the mixed reports I thought that the RS65 sounded the better option.

Can anyone tell me what the SRS processor is like? Does it deliver amazing surround sound like the adverts say?

I would be using the phones for Movie's and Music.

Thanks a lot

5. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any more views on the RS65 or recommendations for a better pair to buy? Advice very much needed.

thank you

6. ExC

ExC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RS65, very good fit (same feeling as with HD570's).
    Power units (2 of them, one in charger/transmitter, one in use, the one in the headset charges too when the headset is placed on the charger/transmitter) last about 3hrs of use. It works well through floors or walls at least about 50meters.
    Occasional snapping sound when moving with the headphones (frequency increases with the distance and the amount of movement).
    If you stay mostly static while listening to music, don't buy them.

Once I had them on the 2nd floor of our house and went to the garden (30-50m distance), and the sound was still good.

If you can handle the fact that it doesen't block any noise coming from your surroundings it is a good choice (neither does the 570's as they are not closed)

I didn't buy new wireless headphones when the RS65 broke down. Too expensive (even if only the replacement headset would be bought) compared to my needs (HD570 now).

HD570s produce a bit better sound with smaller price... but they are not wireless.

Sorry about the bad grammar.
    English is not my prime language.

7. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your review of the RS65 it was very helpful. I am still in two minds about getting the phones. It seems that most people regard wireless as not worth the cost and I am trying to decide if its worth it myself.

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get the RS65 in the UK?

Thanks

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Was thinking of buying the RS45 - Unbeatable have them for £51.

They also have the RS65 for £80 so these are a significant price hike from the RS45. Not sure if it is worth the extra.

Cheapest prices I could find.

9. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There does seem to be a big price jump between all the models. The RS85 is about £109!

I am still looking around for a lower price as I am sure I saw the Rs65 cheaper than Unbeatable.

10. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Just spoke to a techie at Sennheiser - basically said dont bother with the RS30 or RS45 and get the RS65 - much better SQ. Also said that the RS85 are in his experience no better than the RS65.

The other problem with Unbeatable is that they charge £8 for delivery and also dont have the RS65 in stock. I am not even sure that they are authorised dealers so there could be warranty issues. If you have seen them cheaper then please try and remember !!

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Well - I bought them on my way back from work.

Very tasty sound from cordless phones. Puts the Aiwa / Sony cordless crap I previously had to shame for SQ. Very comfortable. Look quite plasticky though.

Apart from SQ other reasons to buy the RS65 over the RS45 are -

-you get two rechargeable batteries with the RS65 (the spare battery has it's own charging slot in the base station - not sure but this may be the case with the RS45 also but if so you will have to buy the spare battery separately).

-SRS surround. Not tried this yet though

-better pads as mentioned above.

12. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    glad to hear you like them rags, am very tempted to get them now. What do you think of the SRS then?

Cheerz

13. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Dont know about SRS yet - the charge just died after about 30 minutes of listening. Serves me right for not charging them for 24 hours first as the manual states. I will report back tomorrow evening once the batteries have been juiced up.

14. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi rags.

Any more opinions on the SRS or the headphones now that you have tried them for a few day?

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    top caty -

The SRS isnt that great to be honest. A bit of a gimmick imo.

One other negative is that the range isnt all that hot - well it is but you get significat noise after the signal has to go through two or more walls. This is especially notable on quieter Tv passages but not so much with music which is constantly on.

The sound if you stick in the same room as the transmitter or close to it is fantastic though - for cordless headphones I have not heard better.