Sennheiser MX500 keep falling out - which headphones?

J

JRC

Hi,

I'm using Sennheiser MX500 with my Rio Carbon MP3. The sound quality is enough for me, but the problem is that it doesn't really "fit" my (right) ear. It always falls down when fast walking. I also own those bulky phones which clip to your ear...
Now that I bought sony HD3, I need new earphones.
Which one can you recommend me for perfect ear comfort? Sony ex71 ?

THX

Dont get the Sony ex71 they are truly awful.

Panasonic sell a pair which are similar and are supposed to sound better.

If you don't want to jeaperdise sound quality then go for the Sennheiser IE4's. They are ear canal phones and are the Dogs b's!

I bought a pair for £45 (stop people eyeing up my Ipod on the train!)

They have three different sizes for your ears and stay in place pretty well.

JRC said:
Hi,

I'm using Sennheiser MX500 with my Rio Carbon MP3. The sound quality is enough for me, but the problem is that it doesn't really "fit" my (right) ear. It always falls down when fast walking. I also own those bulky phones which clip to your ear...
Now that I bought sony HD3, I need new earphones.
Which one can you recommend me for perfect ear comfort? Sony ex71 ?

THX

You could try custom earbuds but they are expensive as heck. Depends alot on what it's worth to you..The Shure lineup are decent otherwise.

sound_05 said:
If you don't want to jeaperdise sound quality then go for the Sennheiser IE4's. They are ear canal phones and are the Dogs b's!

I bought a pair for £45 (stop people eyeing up my Ipod on the train!)

They have three different sizes for your ears and stay in place pretty well.
Are these new ones? Never heard of them!!! :rolleyes:

gerbilly said:
Dont get the Sony ex71 they are truly awful.

Panasonic sell a pair which are similar and are supposed to sound better.
Beg to disagree but i find them truly fantastic! especially with an ipod and good value for money

if you are going for sony headphones go for MDR-ED31 not MDR-EX71 they are rubbish if you went better sound get (koss porta pro)

andyrich said:
if you are going for sony headphones go for MDR-ED31 not MDR-EX71 they are rubbish if you went better sound get (koss porta pro)

..or PX100 for more balanced sound IMO (less pronounced bass).

I have or have owned the following headphones

Grado RS1, Sennheiser HD600 (with russ andrew cable), HD650 (with Stefan AudioArt cable), PX200, PX100, MX500, MX400, Grado 80, Sony MDR-EX71, EShure 5c and some rubbish ones I don't want to mention (in fact I have all except the Grado 80 still). And have used a load of headphone amps, MF v3, Headmaster, Solo, Creek, Project, etc

The EX71 are not 'That bad' if you are happy with the MX500. The sound is bass heavy and also it will cut out most sound externally you will hear your feet running, mouth chewing, etc and even your own breathing so not for everyone! But they are not 'rubbish' when compared to the sound you get from the MX500 which is what your happy with. Now if you compare to say the eShure 5c or the Grado RS1 then in those terms they are 'rubbish'. If you want in ear sealed ones these will do fine. They do another model below it at about £17 - £18 pounds (31's) there ok but won't stay in as well as 71's. I do prefer the 31's myself. If you want better prepare to pay at least double the price for in ear. Unless you want over ear then the Senn PX100 or PX200 will beat them.

No one ever mentions those Earphones:
earphones-intro.jpg

Are they not worth their price? 110 Pounds.
What about sound, I know nothing about them.

They are nearer £90 and I mention them, currently 'under test'

Are You gonna publish Your test here?

We are all waiting.

I recommend the Sony MDR-EX81SL. These headphones are really great. It took me a while to get used to the fit, as I have stayed away from in-ear headphones in the past. The over the ear design takes all the weight of the cords off the actual ear piece. I use them with my Ipod and have to say the sound quality is the best you will get. I would reccomend them to anyone who want can't find eabuds staying in their ears.. They do a excellect job blocking external noise, and reproduce sounds as accurately as you could hope.

Hi Funky, They are ok but unfortunately they are not "..sound quality is the best you will get.." please see my response up the thread. If money no object get Shure e5c and compare to the sony 81's and see which is best :). Also the Grado RS1 with 3.5mm adapter will blow them away as will others but it depends on cost vs sound quality. As in my post I think the 81's are ok and not 'rubbish' as some have said if the quality of sound is to be near the MX500 and at a cheap cost.

sirlukas said:
Are You gonna publish Your test here?

We are all waiting.

It will be here along with a few other phones and amps aimed at the portable market.

Nic Rhodes said:
It will be here along with a few other phones and amps aimed at the portable market.
Looking forward to it, finally maybe I (and probably not only) will find some answers to questions that always bothered me ;)

Comparison of "budget" Hi-Fi Headphones. If the test is good I will use it as my crib to help people choose headphones on my forum (may I?).

Regards

Hey Nic, Apple have agreed to replace my iPod Shuffle under warranty :clap: , so I'm back in the market for some over the ear headphones... How about testing the Sony MDR-EX81SL's - so I don't have to :D !!!

I can lend you some A8 if you fancy trying them first...

Use on your forum, no problems, my stuff is for EVERYONE to use.

A8
scratchhead.gif

Nic Rhodes said:
I can lend you some A8 if you fancy trying them first...
Thanks, that's a kind offer however, I think they may be a bit OTT just to run with, if the Sony's aren't that bad, £30 is nearer the mark... I think I'll order some anyway and see how I get on...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom