Sennheiser Momentum on sale at Hoomv

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by G a f f e r, Feb 20, 2013.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    [​IMG]

I seem to have good luck with Sennheisers on sale at Hoomv - my last acquisition being some IE6's for the princely sum of £40 .....I think I've just topped it with the "blue cross sale" giving 40% off headphones, including the Sennheiser Amperior's and the Momentum's.
    Normal RRP of £260 down to £156 on sale :eek: - brand new.

Before I start:
    I wouldn't recommend buying ANY headphones as expensive as this without listening first. HMV won't let you, but luckily John Lewis did last week.
    I wasn't at all impressed with the Amperior's (they just sounded a bit crap to me, all shouty with flabby bass like they're trying to emulate the Monster Beats ones), but the new B&W P3 caught my eye (and my ear). In fact, it sounded better than the P5 imo...so I was about to get a pair but they had run out of black (grubby white only).
    Whilst looking, I tried out the Momentum and thought "Wow - these are good, but are they worth £100 more than the P3?".
    Naturally, now that they're on sale for the same P3 price, I jumped at the chance (seeing as these senny's are definitely a step up from the P3's - but more on that later).

Packaging:
    The box is fairly standard fair. Open it up and inside is what can only be described as a behemoth of a case. Portable this is not:

[​IMG]

Open the small "wallet" on the left and the standard instruction manuals appear. Open the large case on the right and you're greeted by a great looking set of headphones:

[​IMG]

Other accessories include 2 types of wire, one for iPhones with built in remote and a very nice hinged 35mm jack and t'other a "standard" wire with no remote. Also included is the obligatory 1/4" jack for hi-fi use:

[​IMG]

The Headphones themselves look great in a kind of WWII retro style, with lots of metal and leather:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cups that look bronzed are plastic, which adds to the lightness, but more importantly, the leather and metal headband ensures a VERY comfortable fit.
    I have some Sony Surround sound headphones too and these Momentum's are by far the more comfortable pair.

Listening to an iPhone:
    These headphones are meant to be a low impedance (18Ω) type for use with things like iPods, but I found them fairly quiet on the iPhone.
    I therefore decided to use the "standard" wire, which involved removing the iPhone one which you have to twist to do because it is notched to prevent it falling out:

[​IMG]

So DON'T try to pull them straight out of the headphone cup because you'll break the wire. Including the twist mechanism means a more secure fit for the jack into the cup.

Why the normal wire? Because I feel these need a tiny bit more "oomph" which can be provided by my Fiio amp which doubles up as an iPhone remote anyway, complete with volume control (something not all remotes have):

[​IMG]

More on the comfort - having only 1 side "wired" is a plus worth mentioning as they're not only easy to wear, but easy to take off too.

OK, that's enough babbling, what about the Sound?

Baring in mind I've heard these before, I'm still struck by how balanced they are. There's nothing overpowering anything else.

Treble- Sparkly and not too "splashy". They don't give the same sense of "airiness" to the sound but that's because these are a closed back design....the best soundstage being provided by open-backed designs imo. However, for a closed back design these are EXCELLENT, providing a good soundstage spread in width. Plus, I've been listening for 2 hours straight now and don't have any of the fatigue associated with poorer screechy treble designs (Monster - I'm looking at you!) - even though I'm listening to "compromised" AAC as opposed to my Hi-Fi with it's dedicated Amp (plus, the advantage of a closed back design being that I can listen fairly loud without treble leakage to annoy those around me).

Midrange- Lots of it here, and it's NOT hidden away in the background. Up front and audible, I've just listened to Marvin Gaye (Inner City Blues) and Massive Attack (Unfinished Sympathy) and both vocals are crystal clear and spot on.

Bass- At first, it seemed like it wasn't there on acoustic tracks like Gary Jules (Mad World), but after a few Deadmau5 tracks I must admit, it's there and accurate as hell. It's also very extended when asked - making the cups shake a bit when Pendulum appears. They're not at all overblown like that junk from "Beats" but there's still plenty there to satisfy bassheads imo.
    The best adjective is definitely "accurate" as opposed to "boomy". I would say there's a tad more available than the B&W P5 offers but for my eclectic music taste that's fine (or, put another way, if you've heard the P5's, imagine adding a touch more bass and that's the Momentum's - but not enough to swamp the other octaves or spoil the sound or clarity of the rest of the music).
    In fact, that's a good comparison. I would say in build, price, looks and sound, these are pretty much "Sennheiser's version of the B&W P5" - so if you like those, give these a listen.

Burn in ---- Don't know how much I believe in this (to a degree I suppose) so maybe after a day or so they'll change, but for now, I'm very happy with these.

In fact, I probably wouldn't be at all unhappy if I'd paid the full whack £260 for these - that's how good they are.
    The neutrality itself is the key so you may find yourself underwhelmed when comparing to more "shouty" designs, until you realise that it's the overall nice balance that puts these Momentum's up there with the very best for the price...

...of course, for £156 I'm even more chuffed (plus, being senny's they come with a 2 year warranty). I'd say every HMV has at least one or two of these in stock so get there whilst you can and bag a bargain...you won't be disappointed :smashin:.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. mhorton

mhorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Really want a pair. Might just have to pop in to my local store and see if they have any left. That's a right little bargain you got there.

3. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    just wondering, did you buy these recently? ie are the hmv stores still selling off stock? been looking at the momentums recently and was interested in a pair.

It would be great to buy a pair reduced in price like you got here Gaffer!

Ta

Paul

4. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    only available in-store... you'll have to go to a branch, if they have none available see if they can get them in from another HMV shop.

5. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks, will see if I can get any joy?....

Paul :smashin:

6. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Just checked the Crawley shop for a 3rd time and still no re-stock (not sure whether my pair were the penultimate ones left with the display pair being the last - but the display set must've been snapped up by someone over the weekend as there's nothing left that's what I'd call "premium").

In fact, regarding general stock left, most of the Denon's and half the Sennheisers have gone with mainly only a few high end Sony's left (I'm not counting the sub £50 stuff or the crap "named after a rapper" stuff), so even though I was told they'd "get more in" I'm not sure how true that is.

HMV have been taken over by the same company that owns the Canadian ones, and there they apparently concentrate on music alone (ie, what they should've been doing in the first place), so I think they're selling off all their tech stuff for good and we'll end up with "old skool HMV" selling mainly music......but that's just imho.

7. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Wow! Can't believe it thanks for the heads up Gaffer...

Bought myself the last pair from my local hmv!

Expensive but a bargain... If that makes sense?

:thumbsup:

Attached Files:

8. mhorton

mhorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Went in HMV on lunch today, none left. Not really surprised to be honest. Popped into the Apple store which had the black versions and had a listen, they are great. Really light and comfy.

9. utopia13w

utopia13w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a pair for iPad home use, they are very good indeed.

10. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The stores in Glasgow have plenty,
    Only problem is they are selling with 10% off not 40%.
    Tried to get them to price match this thread LOL they said NO

Tried to buy the ex display ones and was still only getting them with 10% off,
    Finally ask the guy if he was interested in cash in hand LOL again told NO

Looks like no MOOs for me:rolleyes:

11. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't you go to another store that has no stock level and ask them to get you a pair sent from Glasgow at the 40% off?

Seems a bit much that they are not offering the same reduction as all the other stores...

:thumbsdow

12. Notepad

Notepad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the HMV near Moorgate on Monday and they were only doing 10% off. I tried everything to get them to price match another store but they weren't having it. Apparently the stores which are closing down are only doing 10% whereas the stores staying open are doing 40%. Not sure how that makes sense!

Anyway I popped into HMV again yesterday and guess what?! 40% off! Picked up a pair of Amperiors as the Momentums were sold out.

Might be worth going back and checking. Good luck!

13. Magic Walrus

Magic Walrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Could anyone recommend a longer cable for these as the ones provided do not reach my TV or hifi from where I sit, I need around 3m. Want to make sure I get good quality cable to make the most of these great headphones.

14. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    id love a pair of these but in NZ so cant get to HMV.

I might start a wanted ad and trade my apple tv2 for a pair!

15. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  16. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
  17. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Still trying to get hold of a black pair but wondered as anyone tried them with DAC/Stereo systen rather than MP3 player?

18. mhorton

mhorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I was in my local Apple Store yesterday and they had about 20 pairs in black, they don't seem to be stocking the brown versions.

19. jason44mag

jason44mag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    i was hoping that someone might have some apple store vouchers & would want to trade for apple tv 2 but no takers yet :-(

20. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Quick off topic question G a f f e r, have you had any issues with you FiiO headphone amp? I've had to send mine back twice because it failed on the jack end.